Re: Having trouble with indoor light

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Danno, Aug 21, 2004.

  1. Danno

    Danno Guest

    Sorry, the photos posted out of order, but I'm sure by just looking you can
    tell the problem photos.
    The indoor photos are blurry. Outdoor photos are just fine.

    Dan

    "Danno" <> wrote in message
    > I have a Sony Cybershot DSC-P10 (5.0 mega pixels)
    >
    > On the camera I have a 'Mode Dial' that allows me to choose between 'Auto
    > Adjustment Mode' - Which has things like focus, exposure, etc, already
    > automatically adjusted for me for easy shooting. THIS is the mode I use to
    > take my photos.
    >
    > The other mode is 'Programmed Mode' which allows you to tinker with all

    the
    > settings, but I haven't graduated to this yet.
    >

    > So, I'm shooting in the 'Auto' mode and I'm having some real problems.
    >
    > It seems whenever I am taking photos INDOORS, the photos come out blurry

    and
    > distorted. I'm not using a flash.
    >

    > To see what I'm talking about, take a look at the photos I've attached.
    >
    > The first 2 were taken at my son's Karate exhibition. (indoors)
    >

    > The second two were taken the very next day. SAME camera, SAME settings.
    > Nothing has been changed on the camera. (outdoors)
    >

    > The indoor photos, like all of the photos I take indoors, are blurry.
    >

    > Now, if I take a photo indoors using a flash, the photos rarely come out
    > blurry.
    >
    > Does this mean it's a lighting issue?
    >

    > Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong, or how I can fix this problem?
    >

    > Thanks in advance for your help. I have a trip coming up in a few weeks

    and

    Danno, Aug 21, 2004

  2. Danno

    Ken Scharf Guest

    Danno wrote:
    > Sorry, the photos posted out of order, but I'm sure by just looking you can
    > tell the problem photos.
    > The indoor photos are blurry. Outdoor photos are just fine.
    >
    > Dan
    >

    > "Danno" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have a Sony Cybershot DSC-P10 (5.0 mega pixels)
    >>
    >>On the camera I have a 'Mode Dial' that allows me to choose between 'Auto
    >>Adjustment Mode' - Which has things like focus, exposure, etc, already
    >>automatically adjusted for me for easy shooting. THIS is the mode I use to
    >>take my photos.
    >>
    >>The other mode is 'Programmed Mode' which allows you to tinker with all

    > the
    >
    >>settings, but I haven't graduated to this yet.
    >>

    >>So, I'm shooting in the 'Auto' mode and I'm having some real problems.
    >>
    >>It seems whenever I am taking photos INDOORS, the photos come out blurry

    > and
    >
    >>distorted. I'm not using a flash.
    >>

    >>To see what I'm talking about, take a look at the photos I've attached.
    >>
    >>The first 2 were taken at my son's Karate exhibition. (indoors)
    >>

    >>The second two were taken the very next day. SAME camera, SAME settings.
    >>Nothing has been changed on the camera. (outdoors)
    >>

    >>The indoor photos, like all of the photos I take indoors, are blurry.
    >>

    >>Now, if I take a photo indoors using a flash, the photos rarely come out
    >>blurry.
    >>
    >>Does this mean it's a lighting issue?
    >>

    >>Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong, or how I can fix this problem?
    >>

    >>Thanks in advance for your help. I have a trip coming up in a few weeks

    > and
    >
    >>I'd like to be able to take nice clear photos both inside and out.
    >>

    >>Dan

    Does this camera have an autofocus illuminator light?
    The auto focus needs SOME light to function and many
    cameras use a built in bright LED to provide this light.
    (But unless its real dark you won't need it).

    You also say you are NOT using a flash indoors.
    So I assume there is enough light. What kind of light
    was there indoors? (Tungsten, Mercury Vapor, etc?)

    What happens indoors but near a large open window?

    There are only three variables here, the KIND of light
    (ie: color temp), the brightness level, and the focus
    distance. Does the camera focus correctly at all distances
    outdoors? Does the camera fail to focus outdoors at dawn
    or dusk?
    Ken Scharf, Aug 21, 2004