Re: Has your memory card ever worn out?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Scott Dorsey, Jul 25, 2012.

  1. Scott Dorsey

    Scott Dorsey Guest

    Les Cargill <> wrote:

    >This is the way it *IS* done - on pretty much all O/S offerings, and
    >even in embedded systems.

    Frankly, modloading gives me the willies, in part because it makes reading
    crash dumps that much harder. But it started becoming popular in the mid
    1990s and it's now just about everywhere.

    You can argue that the whole notion of the dynamically-linked kernel is a
    security issue, too. You can't do in-memory checksums on kernel space
    anymore, and it opens up a whole new range of possible vulnerabilities.

    But it's the way just about everything works today.
    --scott

    Scott Dorsey, Jul 25, 2012

  2. Scott Dorsey

    Les Cargill Guest

    Scott Dorsey wrote:
    > Les Cargill <> wrote:
    >>
    >> This is the way it *IS* done - on pretty much all O/S offerings, and
    >> even in embedded systems.

    > Frankly, modloading gives me the willies, in part because it makes reading
    > crash dumps that much harder. But it started becoming popular in the mid
    > 1990s and it's now just about everywhere.

    I'd rather have it than not, at least during development. Then you
    get the "rebuild all the drivers into the kernel" activity slashed
    when things overrun. So it goes. It's worth it to cut cycle times.

    Still, having all that out pulled of a truly readonly root
    filesystem (in deployment mode ) ain't that bad.

    > You can argue that the whole notion of the dynamically-linked kernel is a
    > security issue, too.

    I don't care about security. If you need something
    to be secure, lock it up, post armed guards and
    don't put it on a network. Oh, and epoxy up the USB
    ports while you're at it.

    > You can't do in-memory checksums on kernel space
    > anymore, and it opens up a whole new range of possible vulnerabilities.

    That's true. But security was mainly a packaging
    issue in the '90s when we built a debit card module
    for gas pumps and it's the same now.

    Anything else is the Full Employment for IA Types
    industry. Not that there's anything wrong with
    that.

    > But it's the way just about everything works today.
    > --scott

    It is that way because it adds more value.

    --
    Les Cargill

    Les Cargill, Jul 25, 2012

  3. Scott Dorsey

    Les Cargill Guest

    Mxsmanic wrote:
    > Les Cargill writes:
    >
    >> I don't care about security.

    > Security also influences stability--

    "Influences"?

    > if you care about stability.

    Stability has very little to do with security,
    outside the Web.

    --
    Les Cargill

    Les Cargill, Jul 25, 2012
  4. On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 17:30:25 -0500, Les Cargill wrote:

    > Mxsmanic wrote:
    >> Les Cargill writes:
    >>
    >>> I don't care about security.

    >> Security also influences stability--

    > "Influences"?
    >
    >> if you care about stability.
    >>

    > Stability has very little to do with security,
    > outside the Web.

    When I am unstable (see my sig) I feel insecure.

    --
    Gene E. Bloch (Stumbling Bloch)

    Gene E. Bloch, Jul 25, 2012
  5. Scott Dorsey

    Les Cargill Guest

    Gene E. Bloch wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 17:30:25 -0500, Les Cargill wrote:
    >
    >> Mxsmanic wrote:

    >>> Security also influences stability--

    >> "Influences"?
    >>
    >>> if you care about stability.
    >>>

    >> Stability has very little to do with security,
    >> outside the Web.

    > When I am unstable (see my sig) I feel insecure.

    Presumably, you're a Bloch device, so you
    can at least have error checking...

    --
    Les Cargill

    Les Cargill, Jul 25, 2012