Re: Has your memory card ever worn out?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Taylor, Jul 22, 2012.

  1. David Taylor

    David Taylor Guest

    > "Mxsmanic" <> wrote in message
    >> Just out of curiosity, have you ever actually experienced a memory card
    >> failure due to simple wear and tear?

    As far as I know, never. Mind you, during th years I've moved on from
    30 MB CF cards, through 512 MB CF, to 1 GB SD and up to 8 GB SD, so
    maybe I've never used one card enough to wear it out. I don't write
    much video though.

    David
    David Taylor, Jul 22, 2012

  2. David Taylor

    Bruce Guest

    David Taylor <> wrote:
    >> "Mxsmanic" <> wrote in message
    >>> Just out of curiosity, have you ever actually experienced a memory card
    >>> failure due to simple wear and tear?

    >As far as I know, never. Mind you, during th years I've moved on from
    >30 MB CF cards, through 512 MB CF, to 1 GB SD and up to 8 GB SD, so
    >maybe I've never used one card enough to wear it out. I don't write
    >much video though.

    The only memory "cards" that have given me problems were Micro Drives.
    They were miniature hard drives, originally made by IBM but later sold
    on or possibly licensed to other manufacturers. I think they were
    used in the original Apple iPod.

    They were fitted into a case that was the same size as a Compact Flash
    card but about 50% thicker. Most, but not all CF-compatible devices
    could use them. They were extremely troublesome. I had about eight
    in all and all except two failed.
    Bruce, Jul 22, 2012

  3. David Taylor

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 22/07/2012 18:23, Bruce wrote:

    (...)
    > The only memory "cards" that have given me problems were Micro Drives.
    > They were miniature hard drives, originally made by IBM but later sold
    > on or possibly licensed to other manufacturers. I think they were
    > used in the original Apple iPod.

    Nah, the iPod used 1.8 inch hard disks. Micro Drives are 1 inch hard disks.

    --
    Illegitimi non carborundum
    Joe Kotroczo, Jul 22, 2012
  4. David Taylor

    Bruce Guest

    Joe Kotroczo <> wrote:

    >On 22/07/2012 18:23, Bruce wrote:
    >
    >(...)
    >> The only memory "cards" that have given me problems were Micro Drives.
    >> They were miniature hard drives, originally made by IBM but later sold
    >> on or possibly licensed to other manufacturers. I think they were
    >> used in the original Apple iPod.

    >Nah, the iPod used 1.8 inch hard disks. Micro Drives are 1 inch hard disks.

    Thanks.
    Bruce, Jul 22, 2012
  5. David Taylor

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Bruce
    <> wrote:

    > The only memory "cards" that have given me problems were Micro Drives.
    > They were miniature hard drives, originally made by IBM but later sold
    > on or possibly licensed to other manufacturers. I think they were
    > used in the original Apple iPod.

    nope.

    the original ipod used 1.8" hard drives, which are still used in the
    current ipod classic.

    the ipod mini used microdrives, and because apple got a very good deal
    on them, many people bought an ipod mini for its microdrive because it
    was *cheaper* than buying the microdrive by itself. the empty ipod mini
    carcasses were later sold on ebay.

    the ipod shuffle was the first ipod to use flash, followed by the ipod
    nano which replaced the ipod mini, and later the ipod touch, which is
    an iphone without the phone.

    > They were fitted into a case that was the same size as a Compact Flash
    > card but about 50% thicker. Most, but not all CF-compatible devices
    > could use them.

    nope. a microdrive was a standard compact flash type ii card.

    > They were extremely troublesome. I had about eight
    > in all and all except two failed.

    yes they were troublesome. it used to be said if you dropped one, don't
    bother picking it up because it probably no longer works.
    nospam, Jul 22, 2012