Re: Has McAfee Gone Mad?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by chuckcar, Jul 21, 2009.

  1. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    "conwaycaine" <> wrote in
    news::

    > I'm sitting here, choked down to a crawl while McAfee downloads the most
    > massive file to date.
    > Giz a break here!!

    What *exactly* are you updating, The program (unncessary unless
    specifically told otherwise by them) or the virus information files -
    required for it to work properly.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jul 21, 2009

  2. chuckcar

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 16:36:02 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >What *exactly* are you updating, The program (unncessary unless
    >specifically told otherwise by them) or the virus information files -
    >required for it to work properly.

    Updating your A/V application is a really good idea. As a matter of
    fact, any A/V manufacturer recommends installing every update to their
    program.

    Either one is a good idea to upgrade. Regardless of which the OP is
    updating, the answer is simple - McAfee is bloatware.

    Evan Platt, Jul 21, 2009

  3. chuckcar

    chuckcar Guest

    "conwaycaine" <> wrote in

    > "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >> "conwaycaine" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I'm sitting here, choked down to a crawl while McAfee downloads the
    >>> most massive file to date.
    >>> Giz a break here!!
    >>>

    >> What *exactly* are you updating, The program (unncessary unless
    >> specifically told otherwise by them) or the virus information files -
    >> required for it to work properly.

    > No. it's the daily download of updates to (what I assume) are the virus
    > information files and whatever other crap they pump out into an
    > unsuspecting world.
    > Now all this is an assumption of mine since McAfee grabs the system and
    > does it's thing.

    So you don't know. Fair enough. Check (and change it if it isn't) that it
    *is* set to *only* download virus information files. You don't need to
    update anything else unless it errors out on the scan. Also you *are*
    scanning all files on all harddrives *immediately* after the update right?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jul 21, 2009