Re: Has McAfee Gone Mad?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Aardvark, Jul 21, 2009.

  1. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 20:12:37 -0400, conwaycaine wrote:

    > I'm sitting here, choked down to a crawl while McAfee downloads the most
    > massive file to date.
    > Giz a break here!!

    McAfee is a resource hog. Get rid of it. Install something free, and which
    has a smaller footprint.

    I recommend Avast. Free download. The software and updates are free.
    Fourteen month free renewable registration. Updates come all the time,
    sometimes twice or three times a day, and the only time you know it's done
    anything is when you see the pop-up telling you it's done something. All
    the Windows machines we have here run it.

    Did I mention that it was free?

    Aardvark, Jul 21, 2009

  2. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 00:24:49 +0000, Aardvark wrote:

    > On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 20:12:37 -0400, conwaycaine wrote:
    >
    >> I'm sitting here, choked down to a crawl while McAfee downloads the
    >> most massive file to date.
    >> Giz a break here!!

    > McAfee is a resource hog. Get rid of it. Install something free, and
    > which has a smaller footprint.
    >
    > I recommend Avast. Free download. The software and updates are free.
    > Fourteen month free renewable registration. Updates come all the time,
    > sometimes twice or three times a day, and the only time you know it's
    > done anything is when you see the pop-up telling you it's done
    > something. All the Windows machines we have here run it.
    >
    > Did I mention that it was free?

    Here's a free link too.

    <http://avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html>

    Aardvark, Jul 21, 2009

  3. Aardvark

    Mara Guest

    On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 09:41:20 -0400, "conwaycaine" <>
    wrote:

    >"Aardvark" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I recommend Avast. *Free download. The software and updates are *free.
    >>> Fourteen month *free renewable registration. Updates come all the time,
    >>> sometimes twice or three times a day, and the only time you know it's
    >>> done anything is when you see the pop-up telling you it's done
    >>> something. All the Windows machines we have here run it.
    >>>
    >>> Did I mention that it was *free?

    >> Here's a *free link too.
    >>
    >> <http://avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html>

    >I think I read five "Frees" in your post..
    >Bear in mind, I only post to a Scottish newsgroup.
    >In actually, I am as big a spendthrift as any Irishman whatever lived.
    >(May I stand for the next round???)

    If you don't mind spending a bit, there are better AVs than Avast.

    http://usa.kaspersky.com/downloads/
    http://www.webroot.com/En_US/consumer-downloads.html?WRSID=e9100a102249bbbcf82a9b952712086d
    or
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/l2egs8

    --
    "You can't rush the kind of cool *we* are."
    --Erekosë, Evil Abuse Minion #5

    Mara, Jul 21, 2009