Re: Has DivX become unnecessary?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by sentry, Apr 24, 2005.

  1. sentry

    sentry Guest

    "Yef" <> wrote in

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Recently it occurred to me that all the time and
    > computing power that people devote to backing up
    > their DVDs and converting them to DivX, while
    > virtuous in its way, seems bound to become
    > unnecessary. DivX was important when few people
    > had DVD writers, and before dual-layer writers
    > were available.

    Just cuz you have a DVD writer doesn't mean everyone else does.
    Back up your claim. You can't.

    > But now it is possible to back up
    > VOB files themselves and to play them back,
    > in perfect original condition, with no need to
    > compress and lose any amount of quality or to
    > experience sound quality problems. Conversion
    > always introduces errors and noise, but that
    > conversion, at least for now during this lull before
    > high-definition players, has become unnecessary.

    If I want perfection I buy/rent the DVD. Many movies I view once and
    never again. I give away the CDs since they are inexpensive.

    sentry, Apr 24, 2005

  2. sentry

    Gardner Guest

    I must admit I find fewer and fewer reasons for using DivX. Storage is
    cheap now, and files can be compressed by Windows XP.

    Perhaps the emergence of personal pocket media players may be its salvation.

    Gardner, Apr 24, 2005

  3. sentry

    yesitsme Guest

    sentry wrote:

    >"Yef" <> wrote in
    >

    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>Recently it occurred to me that all the time and
    >>computing power that people devote to backing up
    >>their DVDs and converting them to DivX, while
    >>virtuous in its way, seems bound to become
    >>unnecessary. DivX was important when few people
    >>had DVD writers, and before dual-layer writers
    >>were available.
    >>

    >Just cuz you have a DVD writer doesn't mean everyone else does.
    >Back up your claim. You can't.
    >

    >>But now it is possible to back up
    >>VOB files themselves and to play them back,
    >>in perfect original condition, with no need to
    >>compress and lose any amount of quality or to
    >>experience sound quality problems. Conversion
    >>always introduces errors and noise, but that
    >>conversion, at least for now during this lull before
    >>high-definition players, has become unnecessary.
    >>

    >If I want perfection I buy/rent the DVD. Many movies I view once and
    >never again. I give away the CDs since they are inexpensive.
    >

    >>However, I have downloaded a high-def trailer
    >>from divx.com and I can say with certainty that
    >>high-def is the real future. It looks much better.
    >>Too bad high-def discs and drives aren't available yet.
    >>
    >>Yef

    You're right really. Why use DivX; and other compressions - for
    ripping movies anyways - when the original is the best going ..
    UNless, the original isn't from something that's a higher quality..

    jason

    --

    For me , said Sherlock Holmes, "there still remains the cocaine bottle,"
    and he reached his hand up for it.

    http://home.cogeco.ca/~jabean
    http://musicpage.kicks-ass.org/

    yesitsme, Apr 25, 2005