Re: Has anyone moved from KDE3.5 to KDE4?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Carnations, Nov 7, 2009.

  1. Carnations

    Carnations Guest

    On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 10:04:39 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    > Hi all,
    > Has anyone made the leap from KDE3.5 to KDE4? I still use KDE3.5.10 as
    > my
    > main desktop and work and at home and it suits my needs fine, but I'm
    > not happy that it's no longer being actively maintained. I will make the
    > change to KDE 4.3 eventually but from what I can tell there a some
    > features missing - in particular the ability to run multiple session of
    > KDE (i.e. two X sessions at once).

    I have both installed. I mostly use the KDE3 desktop, but I use some KDE4 programs. I'll probably
    migrate to KDE4 as my primary desktop at the next 4.x release.

    Carnations, Nov 7, 2009

  2. Carnations

    Carnations Guest

    On Sun, 08 Nov 2009 20:12:07 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    >> I have both installed. I mostly use the KDE3 desktop, but I use some
    >> KDE4 programs. I'll probably migrate to KDE4 as my primary desktop at
    >> the next 4.x release.

    > Which distribution do you use? Also, do you do multi-head at all?
    >
    > The problem is this is for my primary work computer, so I don't want to
    > break it if it works, but I do want to get the latest release of KDE
    > software.

    I use Open SuSE at home, but at work I have an installation of SuSE Enterprise.

    My suggestion is to keep with KDE 3.5 at the moment - I think that altho' getting to be nice KDE4.x still
    needs some refinement before it is as complete and as polished as 3.5.x.

    Carnations, Nov 9, 2009

  3. Carnations

    paul Guest

    On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 22:03:13 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    > Carnations wrote:
    >

    >> My suggestion is to keep with KDE 3.5 at the moment - I think that
    >> altho' getting to be nice KDE4.x still needs some refinement before it
    >> is as complete and as polished as 3.5.x.

    Cuppaee take your lithium ... opensuse will no long officially support
    that old kde .35.x relic your hanging onto dear life for in future
    releases... ... So that you grasp this that's 11.2 ..

    > I think I'll upgrade my single headed home workstation first as it's
    > less mission critical for me, and will provide some insight into the
    > upgrade process. My main concern is that the majority of KDE3.5 is being
    > removed from the main Gentoo repository in about 30 days.

    I installed the proprietary nvidia driver on 11.2 and ended up with a
    choice of over 640x380 or lower 300 resolution... marvelous !

    Great idea getting rid of that crappy xorg.conf .. but know one in the
    forums seems to have a clue how that effects the enabling / disabling of
    the nvidia drivers ... buggarrrrr

    Duel head & triple monitor setup under win7 took me 30 seconds ... under
    linx hahahahaha

    BigglesZZZ .

    paul, Nov 14, 2009
  4. Carnations

    John Little Guest

    Biggles said:

    > I installed the proprietary nvidia driver on 11.2 and ended up with a
    > choice of over 640x380 or lower 300 resolution...  marvelous !

    The Nvidia situation causes a lot of grief, because distros don't want
    to include the driver because it's not open source.

    Once correctly installed (using Nvidia's recommended procedure, which
    is not that simple) my problems have been solved. My problem was
    first that my 1680x1050 would not display at that resolution, but
    worse, Kubuntu Karmic squashed the display into about 8 cm on the
    left, both booting from the live disc and after installing.

    Nvidia should release the source of at least a bare bones driver that
    will stop these screw ups, the existing one causes too much trouble.

    Regards, John

    John Little, Nov 14, 2009
  5. In message <f0d0268e-a71b-4622-9443-
    >, John Little wrote:

    > The Nvidia situation causes a lot of grief, because distros don't want
    > to include the driver because it's not open source.

    They cannot legally redistribute a proprietary driver pre-built against
    GPL’d code (the Linux kernel).

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 15, 2009
  6. Carnations

    Enkidu Guest

    John Little wrote:
    > Biggles said:
    >> I installed the proprietary nvidia driver on 11.2 and ended up with a
    >> choice of over 640x380 or lower 300 resolution... marvelous !

    > The Nvidia situation causes a lot of grief, because distros don't want
    > to include the driver because it's not open source.
    >
    > Once correctly installed (using Nvidia's recommended procedure, which
    > is not that simple) my problems have been solved. My problem was
    > first that my 1680x1050 would not display at that resolution, but
    > worse, Kubuntu Karmic squashed the display into about 8 cm on the
    > left, both booting from the live disc and after installing.
    >
    > Nvidia should release the source of at least a bare bones driver that
    > will stop these screw ups, the existing one causes too much trouble.

    You might want to try 'Envy-ng'.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Nov 15, 2009
  7. Carnations

    John Little Guest

    Cliff said:

    > You might want to try 'Envy-ng'.

    That was one of the approaches that didn't work, though it worked for
    me in previous releases.

    Regards, John

    John Little, Nov 16, 2009