Re: Hardware spec for Windows XP Professional

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave Taylor, Apr 23, 2004.

  1. Dave Taylor

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Patrick Dunford <> wrote in
    news::

    > What is a reasonable hardware spec for a machine to run Windows XP?
    > I'm sure MS lists some anaemic spec that is really useless in practice
    >
    > Just wondering if a K6-2/400 with 64MB and 6 GB HDD would be really
    > crippled (running MS Office Pro XP, FrontPage & Publisher)

    Yuk, even with win2k it would suck trying to use the said apps. Get 256
    megs of ram and you might be productive. Productive is different from
    usable.
    Ciao,Dave

    Dave Taylor, Apr 23, 2004

  2. Dave Taylor
    > Patrick Dunford <> wrote in
    >
    > > What is a reasonable hardware spec for a machine to run Windows XP?
    > > I'm sure MS lists some anaemic spec that is really useless in practice
    > >
    > > Just wondering if a K6-2/400 with 64MB and 6 GB HDD would be really
    > > crippled (running MS Office Pro XP, FrontPage & Publisher)

    > Yuk, even with win2k it would suck trying to use the said apps. Get 256
    > megs of ram and you might be productive. Productive is different from
    > usable.

    The other things, CPU speed and HDD?

    Patrick Dunford, Apr 24, 2004

  3. Dave Taylor

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > Dave Taylor
    >> Patrick Dunford <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> What is a reasonable hardware spec for a machine to run Windows XP?
    >>> I'm sure MS lists some anaemic spec that is really useless in
    >>> practice
    >>>
    >>> Just wondering if a K6-2/400 with 64MB and 6 GB HDD would be really
    >>> crippled (running MS Office Pro XP, FrontPage & Publisher)

    >> Yuk, even with win2k it would suck trying to use the said apps. Get
    >> 256 megs of ram and you might be productive. Productive is
    >> different from usable.

    > The other things, CPU speed and HDD?

    CPU speed is on the slow side. I've run XP Pro on a Celeron 400 and it was
    usable but a little slow to open proggies etc. If you're not in a hurry
    it'll be ok. The HDD is big enough, XP takes between 1.1 and 1.5GB on it's
    own. If You're going to put more RAM in the first thing I'd do after install
    is disable virtual memory, defrag then set pagefile to a min and max of, say
    250-500MB, depending on how much space you need for other stuff. By doing
    that before you install the apps it'll give you a contiguous block for
    pagefile fairly close to the beginning of the drive, the fastest part. As I
    said, the HDD is big enough but it'll probably be ATA33 so you want to tweak
    it all you can (like the above) to get best performance out of it.

    Good luck.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Apr 24, 2004