Re: Hard drive won't spin up - but "jerks" as if trying to

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Bizoune Bizoune, Dec 11, 2003.

  1. > The drive sometimes "jerks" a little as if trying to start up.
    > Sometimes twisting the drive hard can cause this jerking to start.
    > I've tapped the drive as hard as I care to at the moment and have put
    > it in the freezer twice with no results.

    Could you explain the above to me please?? I never heard of putting a
    defect hard drive to a freezer to repair it??
    Bizoune Bizoune, Dec 11, 2003

  2. Bizoune Bizoune

    AG Guest

    "Bizoune Bizoune" <____No___SPAM> wrote
    in message news:8T%Bb.9398$...

    > > The drive sometimes "jerks" a little as if trying to start up.
    > > Sometimes twisting the drive hard can cause this jerking to start.
    > > I've tapped the drive as hard as I care to at the moment and have put
    > > it in the freezer twice with no results.

    > Could you explain the above to me please?? I never heard of putting a
    > defect hard drive to a freezer to repair it??

    Some times you can freeze a HD and it will start and run long enough to copy
    data from. I've never had it work with a "modern" drive. I've tried it
    about 5 times and it worked once. We did get the data copied off the drive,
    which made the customer, me in this case, very happy.
    AG
    AG, Dec 11, 2003

  3. "Billy" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > As a side note, if you try this place the drive in a Ziploc freezer bag
    > first. Have the comp. ready to receive. Worth a shot before the bin.

    Wow, this is good info!!

    Ok, so you freeze the HD in a ZipLoc, how long? And you have to plug it in
    as soon as it comes out?
    Bizoune Bizoune, Dec 15, 2003