Re: Hard Drive Revving noise

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by why?, Apr 9, 2009.

  1. why?

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 9 Apr 2009 20:14:54 +0000 (UTC), Steve.IA wrote:

    >Dell Optiplex GX280
    >XP pro SP3.
    >Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz
    >Maxtor 6Y250M0 HD
    >2048 Mbytes Ram

    Yea! Asking a q about harddisk and included brand/model.

    >Occasionally, even when pc is not working hard, say, playing solitaire or
    >using MSWord to write this, I can hear the HD rev up for a few seconds

    Maybe,
    PCGuide - Ref - Hard Disk Quality and Reliability Issues
    Another key issue with hard disk noise is that while seek noise
    specifications just consist of the actuator noise "added" to the spindle
    noise, ...
    www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/qual/issues_Noise.htm - 3k - Cached -

    The prefeteh, write caching writing.... S.M.A.R.T is enabled/disabled?

    >then coast down. It will often not do it for hours, but after it starts,
    >it revs every 15 seconds or so and may or may not continue. I can't make
    >it start, and nothing I've tried will make it stop. It seems to have a
    >mind of its own, starting and stopping the series of revs.
    >
    >I've watched using Task Manager and Process Explorer but can't see

    Well it's hard to tell on something that crude, when (if it's any data
    read/writes) for a very short operation.

    If not TM/PE how about
    DiskMon
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896646.aspx
    maybe FileMon