Re: Hard drive on way out, not sure

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gordon, Jun 18, 2008.

  1. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    On 2008-06-17, Nighthawk <> wrote:
    > A few times in the last few days I have had various read failure
    > messages on bootup. Tonight I had three attempts to bootup into my
    > normal Win98SE partition but kept getting "general failure reading
    > drive" messages. Eventually I booted into my small 98SE partition and
    > ran Norton Disc Doctor with thorough surface scan. It came up clean.
    > But on the forth attempt to bootup, it was successful. I had a
    > similar scare a couple of weeks ago. But once I am in Windows, as
    > now, everything runs perfectly normally.
    >
    > SpeedFan shows no faults, everything looks in good shape, performance
    > and fitness as usual. There is no unusual noise and the performance
    > doesn't seem to be dropping. Fortunately I have image backups.
    >
    > The Samsung SP1614N 160GB IDE drive has been a good drive but it has
    > served for a bit over three years now. I used to leave it on for P2P,
    > sometimes for many days at a time. Perhaps something is getting
    > tired?

    According to Googles experience, whether the HD is spinning or not does not
    effect its life span. HD basically fail at a certain age. A bit like people.

    Gordon, Jun 18, 2008

  2. Gordon

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Gordon" typed:
    > On 2008-06-17, Nighthawk <> wrote:
    >> A few times in the last few days I have had various read failure
    >> messages on bootup. Tonight I had three attempts to bootup into my
    >> normal Win98SE partition but kept getting "general failure reading
    >> drive" messages. Eventually I booted into my small 98SE partition
    >> and ran Norton Disc Doctor with thorough surface scan. It came up
    >> clean. But on the forth attempt to bootup, it was successful. I had
    >> a similar scare a couple of weeks ago. But once I am in Windows, as
    >> now, everything runs perfectly normally.
    >>
    >> SpeedFan shows no faults, everything looks in good shape, performance
    >> and fitness as usual. There is no unusual noise and the performance
    >> doesn't seem to be dropping. Fortunately I have image backups.
    >>
    >> The Samsung SP1614N 160GB IDE drive has been a good drive but it has
    >> served for a bit over three years now. I used to leave it on for
    >> P2P, sometimes for many days at a time. Perhaps something is getting
    >> tired?

    > According to Googles experience, whether the HD is spinning or not
    > does not effect its life span. HD basically fail at a certain age. A
    > bit like people.

    Funny, I waded through a lot of that article and Ididn't get that from it.

    So, what you're saying is that, if I bought two identical HDDs, installed
    one in my PC and left the other in it's packaging (one spinning, one not)
    They'd both fail at around the same time? Seems odd to me. ;-)
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 18, 2008

  3. On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:58:50 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Somewhere on teh intarweb "Gordon" typed:
    >> On 2008-06-17, Nighthawk <> wrote:
    >>> A few times in the last few days I have had various read failure
    >>> messages on bootup. Tonight I had three attempts to bootup into my
    >>> normal Win98SE partition but kept getting "general failure reading
    >>> drive" messages. Eventually I booted into my small 98SE partition
    >>> and ran Norton Disc Doctor with thorough surface scan. It came up
    >>> clean. But on the forth attempt to bootup, it was successful. I had
    >>> a similar scare a couple of weeks ago. But once I am in Windows, as
    >>> now, everything runs perfectly normally.
    >>>
    >>> SpeedFan shows no faults, everything looks in good shape, performance
    >>> and fitness as usual. There is no unusual noise and the performance
    >>> doesn't seem to be dropping. Fortunately I have image backups.
    >>>
    >>> The Samsung SP1614N 160GB IDE drive has been a good drive but it has
    >>> served for a bit over three years now. I used to leave it on for
    >>> P2P, sometimes for many days at a time. Perhaps something is getting
    >>> tired?

    >> According to Googles experience, whether the HD is spinning or not
    >> does not effect its life span. HD basically fail at a certain age. A
    >> bit like people.

    >Funny, I waded through a lot of that article and Ididn't get that from it.
    >
    >So, what you're saying is that, if I bought two identical HDDs, installed
    >one in my PC and left the other in it's packaging (one spinning, one not)
    >They'd both fail at around the same time? Seems odd to me. ;-)

    What I got out of that article was that it did not matter much if a
    drive was spun up and down or power cycled, compared to one that was
    pretty much left spinning 24/7. Same amount of usage, same chance of
    dying. I personally do not understand that, but apparently that is
    what their figures said.

    Stephen Worthington, Jun 18, 2008