    I hope that helps.
    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Apr 8, 2008

  2. "Ouch" <> writes:

    >The drive doesn't click when it's idle. The noise happens when it's writing
    >a large file to it. To clarify the situation, I have made a temporary video
    >of the noise the drive makes while it is writing a 1.4GB file. You can view
    >this video here:

    >http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxZ89UJQvmU

    That sounds like normal head seek noise to me.

    There are two sharper "click" sounds within the first 2 seconds of the
    video that I can't identify; perhaps they are from something else in
    the room? But all the other noises sound like normal seeks.

    Now, most drives don't do that much seeking when writing one large file on
    an empty disk; you'll hear this only when the disk is randomly accessing
    files, or writing onto a badly fragmented disk. But someone else
    suggested that some Seagate drives avoid leaving the head in one place,
    and this noise is consistent with occasional random seeks.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Apr 10, 2008

  3. "Ouch" <> writes:

    >The drive is a bit noisier than expected, I certainly
    >don't hear noises like that from my laptop's hard drive, but perhaps this is
    >because it is completely enclosed, while the 750 gig Seagate drive is an
    >external drive?

    The external case may well provide a more direct route for sound from
    the drive to your ear. In addition, the amount of noise produced by
    head movement depends on how fast the positioner moves, how heavy it is,
    the clearances in the bearings that carry it, and the algorithms of the
    code that drive it. Drives with faster seek times tend to be noisier,
    for example, because they have to start and stop the positioner faster.
    Some drives even let you program their "acoustic profile", trading off
    faster access at one end of the range with quieter operation at the
    other end.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Apr 10, 2008