Re: hard disc

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Blinky the Shark, Feb 21, 2005.

  1. Avenger© wrote:

    > On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 11:25:58 -0000, "neville" <> wrote:

    >>Its ok I got some useful and polite info

    > Out comes the oxy torch!!!

    That process covered here <g>. Click "Repair Work underway" link:

    http://www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk/

    A good - and similar - guide to "defraggling" <g>:

    http://www.datadocktorn.nu/us_frag1.php

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:
    Blinky the Shark, Feb 21, 2005

  2. Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Avenger© wrote:

    >> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 11:25:58 -0000, "neville" <> wrote:

    >>>Its ok I got some useful and polite info

    >> Out comes the oxy torch!!!

    > That process covered here <g>. Click "Repair Work underway" link:

    > http://www.flyinglizard.freeserve.co.uk/

    > A good - and similar - guide to "defraggling" <g>:

    > http://www.datadocktorn.nu/us_frag1.php

    <piggybacking my own post>

    And, by the way, note that he *is* getting good help over in
    alt.os.linux.mandrake. Here's an example:

    =======================

    neville wrote:
    > How do you get into the hard disc. I ve got it out but there arent any
    > screws its got rivets.

    You need to drill the rivets out. Now this is likely to get metal
    filings on the discs, so you will need to soak the assembly in denture
    cleaner over night. Also, to remove any oxidation on the heads due to
    their exposure to moisture, you need to swab the heads with an acid
    solution. The acid from an automobile battery will do nicely. Be sure
    to lubricate the moving parts with a light weight machine oil.

    Replace the rivets with appropriately sized machine screws and give it a
    test. If you don't get the desired results, repeat the above process
    until everything works.

    :)

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 21, 2005