Re: hacked..?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by path, Jul 30, 2003.

  1. path

    path Guest

    Paul Gunson wrote:

    > every time i connect to the net [ihug] after about 30 secs the
    > connection sends and receives continuously, even though there is no
    > browser activity... ie without me actually doing anything online... it
    > receives at about 4KB/sec, 56K modem speed.... win2K SP4 has
    > auto-updates disabled... i have not installed any new software recently.
    > AV software is AVG, also with auto-updates disabled.
    >
    > htf can i find out what is going on....?

    Yes, almost certainly.

    Install the programs below onto your computer. It'd be best to download
    these programs from another computer then trasfer them to yours so you can
    avoid connecting it to the internet again until the problem has been
    resolved; it is a bad idea to connect it to the internet again until you've
    removed the offending virus or trojan.

    http://www.moosoft.com -- The Cleaner, it will scan for trojans
    http://www.grisoft.com -- Grisoft free antivirus
    (remember to update the definition files for the above two)
    http://www.zonelabs.com -- Zonealarm firewall

    Once the problem has been fixed, change your passwords.

    Btw, if you've got a filesharing program running, that could be the problem
    ;)

    path, Jul 30, 2003