Re: hacked..?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Herman Melville, Jul 30, 2003.

  1. Paul Gunson allegedly said:

    > every time i connect to the net [ihug] after about 30 secs the
    > connection sends and receives continuously, even though there is no
    > browser activity... ie without me actually doing anything online... it
    > receives at about 4KB/sec, 56K modem speed.... win2K SP4 has
    > auto-updates disabled... i have not installed any new software recently.
    > AV software is AVG, also with auto-updates disabled.
    >
    > htf can i find out what is going on....?

    open a command prompt and do a 'netstat -r'

    What IP addreses and connections do you see?

    What do they belong to? Try a traceroute to them and try looking ones you
    are doubtful up on the relevant NIC (APNIC, ARIN, RIPE - whatever)

    Herman Melville, Jul 30, 2003

  2. Herman Melville

    Paul Gunson Guest

    also i am using windows encryption (cipher command) on some directories,
    docs etc - how effective is that really against a potential hacker...?

    Paul Gunson, Jul 30, 2003