Re: hacked..?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Kristofer Clayton, Jul 30, 2003.

  1. On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 20:44:34 +1200, Paul Gunson <>
    wrote:

    >every time i connect to the net [ihug] after about 30 secs the
    >connection sends and receives continuously, even though there is no
    >browser activity... ie without me actually doing anything online... it
    >receives at about 4KB/sec, 56K modem speed.... win2K SP4 has
    >auto-updates disabled... i have not installed any new software recently.
    >AV software is AVG, also with auto-updates disabled.
    >
    >htf can i find out what is going on....?

    Go to a DOS prompt and type Netstat;

    or install a firewall like Kerio Personal Firewall (www.kerio.com)
    that blocks suspicious inbound/outbound and lets you see a list of
    what programs currently have active or listening TCP/UDP sockets.

    --
    Kristofer Clayton (KJClayton)
    Gisborne, New Zealand

    Kristofer Clayton, Jul 30, 2003

  2. Kristofer Clayton

    Paul Gunson Guest

    Kristofer Clayton wrote:
    > Go to a DOS prompt and type Netstat;
    >
    > or install a firewall like Kerio Personal Firewall (www.kerio.com)
    > that blocks suspicious inbound/outbound and lets you see a list of
    > what programs currently have active or listening TCP/UDP sockets.

    thanks to all who replied - i have installed and am training Kerio's.
    the problem does not seem to be happening today, will change all
    passwords as a precaution.

    Paul Gunson, Jul 30, 2003

  3. Kristofer Clayton

    Fran Guest

    Paul Gunson wrote:

    > Kristofer Clayton wrote:
    > > Go to a DOS prompt and type Netstat;
    >>
    >> or install a firewall like Kerio Personal Firewall (www.kerio.com)
    >> that blocks suspicious inbound/outbound and lets you see a list of
    >> what programs currently have active or listening TCP/UDP sockets.

    > thanks to all who replied - i have installed and am training Kerio's.
    > the problem does not seem to be happening today, will change all
    > passwords as a precaution.

    What antivirus do you have?
    Norton can d/l in the background and may have finished.

    Fran
    :):):)

    Fran, Jul 31, 2003