Re: Graphic artifacts being left on desktop

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by VanguardLH, Aug 7, 2010.

  1. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    wrote:

    > This just happened to me for the second time. I closed a program or a website,
    > didn't really pay attention to which one, andnow I have a little yellow box that
    > says "Close" stuck on my desktop. I can't get rid of it unless I reboot the
    > computer. I tried logging off then logging back on again with no luck. I right
    > clicked on the desktop then clicked on Refresh to see if that did anything but
    > no luck. I know the last time it happened, I had to reboot to get rid of it. Any
    > idea why this happens and how to prevent it? I'm using Windows 7 64 bit and an
    > ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics card if that makes anyt difference. Thanks.

    Use Task Manager. Maybe you'll recognize a process that you thought you
    closed but didn't. The program might be crashing or hanging on exit but
    is still loaded in memory and running. When you use Task Manager to
    kill the process, that remnant window should disappear.

    If you haven't a clue for what are those running processes shown in Task
    Manager (not a good thing since you should really know through repeated
    checking just what is running on your host), maybe SysInternals' Process
    Explorer might help. It has a sniper scope icon in its toolbar. You
    drag it atop a window and it highlights in its process list as to which
    one has an open handle for that window.

    VanguardLH, Aug 7, 2010