Re: GPS for Nikon

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by PeterN, Apr 30, 2013.

  1. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 4/28/2013 6:04 AM, Graham wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Apr 2013 12:37:51 +1200, Eric Stevens,
    > <news:> expounded this
    > theory:
    >
    >> I've been looking around and am disconcerted to find that all GPS
    >> units seem to have a spotty reputation. Problems seem to include slow
    >> satellite and position acquistion if the camera has been moved since
    >> last time, errors in elevation, difficulty in crossing the equator
    >> etc. Then there is their effect on battery life if you leave them
    >> turned on.
    >>
    >> I know that only people with a grouch tend to write reviews but surely
    >> they can't be as bad as I have read.
    >>
    >> I'm primarily looking for a GPS to tag my photographs so that 2 years
    >> down the track I know which city I took them in. I need a fast start
    >> up when I haul the camera out so that the rest of the mob has not
    >> disappeared before my camera is ready to take a photograph.
    >>
    >> I will be using a Nikon D300 and will be interested in hearing of
    >> other people's experience and comments.

    > I use a Solmeta N3-A. I've had it for about two years and it has
    > performed faultlessly.
    > http://www.solmeta.com/index.php/Product/show/id/2
    >
    > I previously used a "Promote"
    > http://www.promotesystems.com/products/Promote-GPS.html and it was
    > almost useless, often failing to lock on for hours if at all.
    > Eventually it stopped working altogether.
    >
    > Once the Solmeta has acquired the signal, which is fast, it is rock
    > solid. Turn off the camera for an hour or so and the signal is
    > re-acquired instantly. I'm more than happy with it.

    I see it sits where the flash unit sits. Is there some mechanism that
    would permit use of flash with the unit?

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Apr 30, 2013

  2. PeterN

    PeterN Guest

    On 4/30/2013 6:49 PM, Graham wrote:
    > On Tue, 30 Apr 2013 18:32:21 -0400, PeterN,
    > <news:51804660$0$10793$-secrets.com> expounded
    > this theory:
    >
    >> I see it sits where the flash unit sits. Is there some mechanism that
    >> would permit use of flash with the unit?

    > There is a clip supplied to attach it to a neck strap.

    Thanks, I thought there must be. I previously thought that I didn't need
    one. I still don't need one, but I can see the attraction, and am
    starting to think about getting one.

    --
    PeterN

    PeterN, Apr 30, 2013