Re: Google AdWords question

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Sailor Sam, Oct 6, 2009.

  1. Sailor Sam

    Sailor Sam Guest

    vitw wrote:
    > On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 11:23:13 +1300, Sailor Sam wrote:
    >
    >>> 2. Or does Google only come up with a positive if the user at that IP
    >>> address already has a Google account, and is known by their cookies?

    >> It's my understanding option 2 has a large bearing on identification of
    >> location.

    > So if an advertiser wants to run ads for (say) Dunedin only...
    >
    > * If the IP address is non-NZ, that's easy - don't run the ad
    >
    > * If the IP is NZ-based, and the client sends in a Google cookie,
    > that's easy too - pull up the client's member record and
    > determine city of residence - if Dunedin, run the ad, otherwise not

    I have heard of instances of people shifting cities, and Google being a
    bit slow on the uptake ;)

    > * If the IP is NZ-based but there's no member cookie, then what does
    > Google do? This is the grey case. Hopefully Google assumes it's
    > non-Dunedin
    >
    > But Perhaps Google has some ultra-schmicko AI heuristics to figure out
    > to 97% certainty whether user is a Dunedin resident. That's what I'm
    > trying to find out.

    It's certainly possible to figure out where a person is based on their
    searches. I recall a case where some search engine released search data,
    that had been anonymised, to the research community, and at least one of
    the searchers contained within the data was identified based on her
    searches. (By identified I mean, name, address, marital status, and some
    other personal data)
    Sailor Sam, Oct 6, 2009

  2. Sailor Sam

    Sailor Sam Guest

    Sailor Sam wrote:
    > vitw wrote:

    >>> It's my understanding option 2 has a large bearing on identification of
    >>> location.

    >> So if an advertiser wants to run ads for (say) Dunedin only...
    >>
    >> * If the IP address is non-NZ, that's easy - don't run the ad
    >>
    >> * If the IP is NZ-based, and the client sends in a Google cookie,
    >> that's easy too - pull up the client's member record and
    >> determine city of residence - if Dunedin, run the ad, otherwise not
    >>

    > I have heard of instances of people shifting cities, and Google being a
    > bit slow on the uptake ;)
    >
    >> * If the IP is NZ-based but there's no member cookie, then what does
    >> Google do? This is the grey case. Hopefully Google assumes it's
    >> non-Dunedin
    >>
    >> But Perhaps Google has some ultra-schmicko AI heuristics to figure out
    >> to 97% certainty whether user is a Dunedin resident. That's what I'm
    >> trying to find out.
    >>

    > It's certainly possible to figure out where a person is based on their
    > searches. I recall a case where some search engine released search data,
    > that had been anonymised, to the research community, and at least one of
    > the searchers contained within the data was identified based on her
    > searches. (By identified I mean, name, address, marital status, and some
    > other personal data)

    http://www.securityfocus.com/brief/277
    The New York Times combed through some of the search results to discover
    user 4417749, whose search terms included, "homes sold in shadow lake
    subdivision gwinnett county georgia" along with several people with the
    last name of Arnold. This was enough to reveal the identity of user
    4417749 as Thelma Arnold, a 62-year-old woman living in Georgia. Of the
    20 million search histories posted, it is believed there are many more
    such cases where individuals can be identified.
    [...]
    Contrary to AOL's statements about no personally-identifiable
    information, the real data reveals some shocking search queries. Some
    researchers combing through the data have claimed to have discovered
    over 100 social security numbers, dozens or hundreds of credit card
    numbers, and the full names, addresses and dates of birth of various
    users who entered these terms as search queries.

    Remember this next time you go searching for "Elephant cock Horse"
    (bash.org ;)
    Sailor Sam, Oct 6, 2009