Re: Good value Pano head for my PowershotG1 please

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Paul Cordes, Aug 3, 2003.

  1. Paul Cordes

    Paul Cordes Guest

    " Miro" <> wrote in message

    > "Max Madwell" <> wrote in message
    > > Can anyone point me to the subject please.
    > > I don't want to spend a fortune.
    > >
    > > Cheers

    > If you have a tripod head then just use very small movments of arc and let
    > the software do the rest. It is no great mystery ..... it has been done

    with
    > plate cameras on wooden stands.

    Except the software can't deal with parallax errors.
    A panohead allows you to spin the camera around the lens nodal point.

    http://www.panoguide.com for some good reading.
    Paul Cordes, Aug 3, 2003

  2. Paul Cordes

    Miro Guest

    "Paul Cordes" <late*> wrote in message

    > " Miro" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Max Madwell" <> wrote in message
    > > > Can anyone point me to the subject please.
    > > > I don't want to spend a fortune.
    > > >
    > > > Cheers

    > > If you have a tripod head then just use very small movments of arc and

    let
    > > the software do the rest. It is no great mystery ..... it has been done

    > with
    > > plate cameras on wooden stands.

    > Except the software can't deal with parallax errors.
    > A panohead allows you to spin the camera around the lens nodal point.
    >
    > http://www.panoguide.com for some good reading.

    Such geekisms ..... it still bloomin works without all the corrections. A
    pano is a pano even if it isnt VR 3D Quicktime compliant.
    Miro, Aug 3, 2003

  3. Paul Cordes

    Paul Cordes Guest

    " Miro" <> wrote in message

    > Such geekisms ..... it still bloomin works without all the corrections. A
    > pano is a pano even if it isnt VR 3D Quicktime compliant.

    Nothing to do with VR.
    If there is anything in the foreground of your pano, parallax will result in
    it shifting in position and messing up your pano.
    But your right, you can just use a tripod as long as nothing is in the
    foreground. But that will limit you sometimes.
    Paul Cordes, Aug 3, 2003
  4. Paul Cordes

    Max Madwell Guest

    " Miro" <> wrote in message
    > Such geekisms ..... it still bloomin works without all the corrections. A
    > pano is a pano even if it isnt VR 3D Quicktime compliant.

    Thanks Paul and Miro.
    Miro have you ever done a pano? Your suggestion works for distances far
    away- not if you do a pano in narrow rooms.
    I built a head myself but it is kinda complicated to change around when
    changing lenses and zoom.

    Paul, I'm looking for a bit better value head if possible which are easily
    adjustable and not too heavy.

    Cheers
    Max Madwell, Aug 3, 2003
  5. Paul Cordes

    Paul Cordes Guest

    > Thanks Paul and Miro.
    > Miro have you ever done a pano? Your suggestion works for distances far
    > away- not if you do a pano in narrow rooms.
    > I built a head myself but it is kinda complicated to change around when
    > changing lenses and zoom.
    >
    > Paul, I'm looking for a bit better value head if possible which are easily
    > adjustable and not too heavy.
    >
    > Cheers

    I've not seen a head for much less than the one I suggested. There are
    plenty that go for more.
    As long as you keep with one focal length, you adjust it once and then your
    good to go every time you use it.
    You level the head (there's a bubble built in) and then you can tilt the
    camera either up or down to suit and it will still stitch perfectly.

    Good hunting......PC
    Paul Cordes, Aug 3, 2003
  6. you really seem to have no frickin idea miro, are you just argumentative for
    the sake of it? yes you *can* do panoramas without a pano head, but they are
    much easier, more consistent and give better results with a pano head-
    ESPECIALLY if you ever have to include anything close to the camera.

    yeesh!
    Warren Prasek, Aug 3, 2003
  7. Panorama Factory from Smoky City Software does a good job of
    perspective correction...

    Cheers,
    Stuart

    Stuart Elflett, Aug 4, 2003
  8. Paul Cordes

    > " Miro" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Such geekisms ..... it still bloomin works without all the corrections.

    > > pano is a pano even if it isnt VR 3D Quicktime compliant.

    > Nothing to do with VR.
    > If there is anything in the foreground of your pano, parallax will result

    in
    > it shifting in position and messing up your pano.
    > But your right, you can just use a tripod as long as nothing is in the
    > foreground. But that will limit you sometimes.

    Use a 50mm lens and its works perfectly handheld.
    Miro, Aug 4, 2003
  9. Paul Cordes

    Miro Guest

    > " Miro" <> wrote in message
    > > Such geekisms ..... it still bloomin works without all the corrections.

    > > pano is a pano even if it isnt VR 3D Quicktime compliant.

    > Thanks Paul and Miro.
    > Miro have you ever done a pano? Your suggestion works for distances far
    > away- not if you do a pano in narrow rooms.
    > I built a head myself but it is kinda complicated to change around when
    > changing lenses and zoom.
    >
    > Paul, I'm looking for a bit better value head if possible which are easily
    > adjustable and not too heavy.
    >
    > Cheers

    It doesnt look that hard ..... a Metz 60ct1 flash bracket with a manfrotto
    head and a couple of small attachments. All this precision for a small room
    ? What exactly do you plan to show off ? How cramped it is ?
    Miro, Aug 4, 2003
  10. Paul Cordes

    Miro Guest

    "Warren Prasek" <newsgroupspam at deletethisbit dot wprasek dotcom> wrote in
    message news:3f2d8af2$0$26532$...
    > you really seem to have no frickin idea miro, are you just argumentative

    for
    > the sake of it? yes you *can* do panoramas without a pano head, but they

    are
    > much easier, more consistent and give better results with a pano head-
    > ESPECIALLY if you ever have to include anything close to the camera.
    >
    > yeesh!

    You are a jerk. I have dozens of these images strips and not one of them has
    a nodal point. Talk about being fooled !

    The nodal point is a fixed point in space for viewing in VR ..... in all
    other instances it serves no purpose.
    Miro, Aug 4, 2003
  11. Paul Cordes

    colinco Guest

    colinco, Aug 4, 2003
  12. Paul Cordes

    Henrik Guest

    Miro, you are not giving up are you :) got any other suggestions :) ??

    I have to admit that the parallax can be a problem at time, but I have had
    successful panos done with my 24-70 @ 35mm vertical position, which was
    relative easy to adjust in PS.

    but I think a real pano head will take a lot of the frustration out

    just my $.02

    Henrik

    Henrik, Aug 4, 2003
  13. Paul Cordes

    Miro Guest

    "Henrik" <> wrote in message
    > Miro, you are not giving up are you :) got any other suggestions :) ??
    >
    > I have to admit that the parallax can be a problem at time, but I have had
    > successful panos done with my 24-70 @ 35mm vertical position, which was
    > relative easy to adjust in PS.
    >
    > but I think a real pano head will take a lot of the frustration out
    >
    > just my $.02
    >
    > Henrik

    This reminds me of several instances where one must "have the gear" in order
    to enjoy or gain satisfaction from why one already has. Quite frankly the
    attachments came long after the initial tool, the camera. You dont need
    anything other than a working camera and film to make a pano. The rest of it
    is entirely optional.

    It is only with respect to virtual 3D that the point of reference must be
    fixed for viewing pleasure. The rest of the time it is nothing more than an
    extra wide photo.
    Miro, Aug 4, 2003
  14. Paul Cordes

    Miro Guest

    "colinco" <> wrote in message
    > In article <3f2dc15b$0$28121$>, Miro
    > wrote...
    > > The nodal point is a fixed point in space for viewing in VR ..... in all
    > > other instances it serves no purpose.
    > >

    > It is only important if you have both near and far objects in stitch zone
    >
    > http://www.path.unimelb.edu.au/~bernardk/tutorials/360/photo/nodal.html

    Stitch zone ? Next you will be telling me that Microsoft invented it.
    Miro, Aug 4, 2003
  15. Paul Cordes

    Cameron Guest

    Nice Peter, very nice!!! :)

    Cameron, Aug 4, 2003
  16. Paul Cordes

    colinco Guest

    In article <3f2ecb91$0$28122$>, Miro
    wrote...
    > Rather than wasting money why dont you go to a museum and see some pano
    > shots from 1800's. No nodal points there ..... still valuable.

    Why are you hung up on money? Pano heads can be made of Plywood if you
    must have one.

    If you look at the picture of the 1844 Von Martens panorama camera on
    this page, it appears to pivot thge lens around the nodal point :p
    colinco, Aug 4, 2003
  17. Paul Cordes

    Miro Guest

    > Miro wrote:
    > > Rather than wasting money why dont you go to a museum and see some
    > > pano shots from 1800's. No nodal points there ..... still valuable.

    > I have a nineteenth century photography textbook which deals with
    > panoramic photography. Here is the caption for a pair of illustrations:
    >
    > "Fig. 14 shows a camera centrally pivoted. It will be noticed that
    > there
    > is considerable difficulty in forming accurately a number of adjoining
    > photographs to form a panoramic view. If, however, the camera is
    > pivoted directly beneath the lens, this difficulty is overcome."
    >
    > So, clearly, they knew about the nodal point....
    >
    > Peter Marquis-Kyle

    As you have taken into consideration the size of the camera there is no
    debating it.
    Miro, Aug 5, 2003
  18. Paul Cordes

    colinco Guest

    colinco, Aug 5, 2003
  19. Paul Cordes

    Miro Guest

    "colinco" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, colinco wrote...
    > > If you look at the picture of the 1844 Von Martens panorama camera on
    > > this page, it appears to pivot thge lens around the nodal point :p
    > >

    > Oops!
    >
    > http://www.bigshotz.co.nz/panorama_cameras.html

    I still think a 60CT1 Metz flash bracket is all you need and someone to
    notch a tripod head.

    The narrower the slice and smaller the displacement angle between shots the
    less correction needed.

    With digital you can shoot at small angles of arc between frames and get
    much better results than were possible in the past. The whole idea of buying
    special hardware for digital cameras is unusual
    Miro, Aug 5, 2003
  20. Paul Cordes

    Rusty Wright Guest

    I have the panorama head by Jasper Engineering. It didn't cost as
    much as the Kaidan heads and, as far as I can tell, does everything
    that they do. It's well constructed and easy to use. It has detents
    for different degrees of rotation with little dots that are color
    coded. The yellow dots rotate less, red ones more, green ones even
    more. So depending on how wide your wide angle is or how much overlap
    you need you can use what works best.
    Rusty Wright, Aug 5, 2003