Re: Good email fax service?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John, Jan 17, 2010.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Devils_Advocate wrote:
    > I've been using Callwave and it recently became eFax and got even worse.
    >
    > Now I cant even send a test fax to myself and have it go through. I call and
    > try to reach them and they put me on hold for 5 minutes and then it hangs up
    > on me. There's no way to email them, or they wont reply if I do.
    >
    > Is there a better email fax service than this, that doesnt cost any more than
    > they do?
    >
    > If they offer simultaneous ring, I'd buy that too!

    I would also like an answer to that question. I don't have a POTS line,
    only a cell phone. I don't want to have to pay for a separate line just
    so I can send and receive infrequent faxes.
    John, Jan 17, 2010

  2. John

    VanguardLH Guest

    John wrote:

    > Devils_Advocate wrote:
    >
    >> I've been using Callwave and it recently became eFax and got even worse.
    >> Is there a better email fax service than this, that doesnt cost any more than
    >> they do?

    > I would also like an answer to that question. I don't have a POTS line,
    > only a cell phone. I don't want to have to pay for a separate line just
    > so I can send and receive infrequent faxes.

    First read ALL the replies already submitted in this thread!

    In addition to the already named online fax services (for sending), there is
    FaxZero. Another choice is tpc.int except they are a volunteer organization
    (and only handle sending out faxes that are local to their area since
    obviously they're not going to pay your long-distance phone bills). For
    receiving, eFax has free receive-only accounts (you need to pay to send
    through them). A free eFax receive-only account doesn't expire. K7 has
    free receiving of faxes but an account expires after 30 days of non-use (and
    why I stay with eFax although they send a proprietary TIF attachment that
    requires use of their software that you have to install on your host whereas
    K7 sends e-mails with TIF files that most image viewers will handle,
    including the one in Windows).

    Just remember that you are giving your fax to a 3rd party which means they
    could see its contents. You don't want to use an unknown and untrusted
    online [phone-free] fax service (for send or receive) with a document that
    contains your bank account or credit card numbers or any other sensitive
    information. That is a distinct disadvantage of using free online fax
    services. However, unless the recipient of a fax has their own private fax
    machine or the non-shared account for e-mails with fax attachment that a fax
    printout sitting in a fax machine or printer that is in a openly accessible
    cubicle or hallway is also not secure (unless you trust every person at the
    company, included the contracted cleaning staff, outside contractors,
    visitors, or anyone else walking around the company's property). Faxes by
    their very nature are not secure (and rare few senders and recipients have
    previously agreed to send/receive encrypted faxes but you still run into the
    problem of whether or not the fax machine is secured or not).
    VanguardLH, Jan 17, 2010

  3. John

    M.L. Guest

    >>> I've been using Callwave and it recently became eFax and got even worse.
    >>> Is there a better email fax service than this, that doesnt cost any more than
    >>> they do?

    >First read ALL the replies already submitted in this thread!
    >
    >In addition to the already named online fax services (for sending), there is
    >FaxZero.

    I left FaxZero off my free outbound fax recommendations list because
    it places an ad on the cover page of your fax.

    www.myfax.com/free
    Free faxes within USA and Canada, others. No ad placed on cover page.
    1 PDF or DOC file per fax, or type text in textarea, max 10 pages.
    Maximum 2 free faxes per day

    www.gotfreefax.com
    Free faxes within USA and Canada. No ad placed on cover page. 1 PDF or
    DOC file per fax, or type text in textarea, max 3 pages, or 10 pages
    max for $0.98, or 20 pages max for $1.98, or 30 pages max for $2.98.
    Maximum 2 free faxes per day

    www.faxzero.com
    Free faxes within USA and Canada. Ad placed on cover page. 1 PDF or
    DOC file per fax, or type text in textarea, max 3 pages, or 15 pages
    max for $1.99. Maximum 2 free faxes per day
    M.L., Jan 17, 2010
  4. John

    VanguardLH Guest

    M.L. wrote:

    >> In addition to the already named online fax services (for sending), there
    >> is FaxZero.

    > I left FaxZero off my free outbound fax recommendations list because it
    > places an ad on the cover page of your fax.

    You ever use the free www.tpc.int volunteer service? I've read about it but
    never bothered to use it.
    VanguardLH, Jan 17, 2010
  5. John

    M.L. Guest

    >You ever use the free www.tpc.int volunteer service? I've read about it but
    >never bothered to use it.

    It appears to be outbound only. I think there are other free fax
    services that are more flexible and easier to use.
    M.L., Jan 18, 2010
  6. John

    astork Guest

    "M.L." <> wrote in message

    >>You ever use the free www.tpc.int volunteer service? I've read about it
    >>but
    >>never bothered to use it.

    > It appears to be outbound only. I think there are other free fax
    > services that are more flexible and easier to use.

    Here's a good email fax service.

    http://www.maxemail.com/
    astork, Jan 19, 2010