Re: Good Cookies

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by impossible, Aug 2, 2008.

  1. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Brian Mathews" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Ho do you block Good Cookies being removed, like the ones being used for
    > log on's.
    >
    > Just make them read only...?

    If you know exactly which are the "good' cookies, then just delete
    everything else. Alternatively, stop worrying about that level of privacy
    and get on with your life.
    impossible, Aug 2, 2008

  2. impossible

    Enkidu Guest

    Mark Robinson wrote:
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "Brian Mathews" <> wrote in message
    >>> Ho do you block Good Cookies being removed, like the ones being
    >>> used for log on's. Just make them read only...?

    >> If you know exactly which are the "good' cookies, then just delete
    >> everything else. Alternatively, stop worrying about that level of
    >> privacy and get on with your life.

    > Have you ever read 1984 ?

    Cookies are stored *on your machine*. If you are that worried about
    cookies, accept them all and check them all out, delete them when you
    logoff or shut your machine down.

    Or do as 'impossible' says, ignore them and get on with your life. Yes,
    I have read 1984.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - someone on a newsgroup, somewhere.
    Enkidu, Aug 3, 2008

  3. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Mark Robinson" <2tod.net> wrote in message
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "Brian Mathews" <> wrote in message
    >>> Ho do you block Good Cookies being removed, like the ones being used for
    >>> log on's.
    >>> Just make them read only...?

    >> If you know exactly which are the "good' cookies, then just delete
    >> everything else. Alternatively, stop worrying about that level of privacy
    >> and get on with your life.

    > Have you ever read 1984 ?

    Yes. You do understand that's a work of fiction, right?
    impossible, Aug 3, 2008
  4. impossible

    > On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 14:49:33 GMT, "impossible" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>"Brian Mathews" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> Ho do you block Good Cookies being removed, like the ones being used for
    >>> log on's.
    >>>
    >>> Just make them read only...?
    >>>

    >>If you know exactly which are the "good' cookies, then just delete
    >>everything else. Alternatively, stop worrying about that level of privacy
    >>and get on with your life.

    > You just Don't understand, I need to Keep my Log on Cookies, so how do I
    > do that..?
    >

    > Adaware must be removing them etc..

    Adaware will only remove cookies if you tell it to remove cookies. I stopped
    using that silly program years ago, but if I recall it actually presents you
    with a list of each and every cookie it finds, and you'rer free then to
    select/unselect any of them. Knock yourself out!
    impossible, Aug 3, 2008
  5. impossible

    Cima Guest

    On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 11:15:17 +1200, Brian Mathews
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 14:49:33 GMT, "impossible" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Brian Mathews" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> Ho do you block Good Cookies being removed, like the ones being used for
    >>> log on's.
    >>>
    >>> Just make them read only...?
    >>>

    >>If you know exactly which are the "good' cookies, then just delete
    >>everything else. Alternatively, stop worrying about that level of privacy
    >>and get on with your life.

    >You just Don't understand, I need to Keep my Log on Cookies, so how do I do that..?

    Use Firefox and save the passwords in the password manager? Yeah, we know, it
    doesn't sort your 100,000 bookmarks properly.

    Cima, Aug 3, 2008
  6. impossible

    > On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 02:59:11 GMT, "impossible" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Brian Mathews" <> wrote in message

    >>> You just Don't understand, I need to Keep my Log on Cookies, so how do
    >>> do that..?
    >>>

    >>> Adaware must be removing them etc..
    >>>

    >>Adaware will only remove cookies if you tell it to remove cookies. I
    >>stopped
    >>using that silly program years ago, but if I recall it actually presents
    >>you
    >>with a list of each and every cookie it finds, and you'rer free then to
    >>select/unselect any of them. Knock yourself out!

    > No it does not, I am using the very latest version and it only happens now
    > and again, may be the
    > Cookies expire them selves..?

    Sort of, yes. Some sites will require you to log in manually every so often
    just to confirm that you're actually the user they have registered. If
    that's a problem for you, find another site.
    impossible, Aug 3, 2008
  7. impossible

    Enkidu Guest

    Brian Mathews wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 02:59:11 GMT, "impossible"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Brian Mathews" <> wrote in message

    >>> You just Don't understand, I need to Keep my Log on Cookies, so
    >>> how do I do that..?
    >>>
    >>> Adaware must be removing them etc..
    >>>

    >> Adaware will only remove cookies if you tell it to remove cookies.
    >> I stopped using that silly program years ago, but if I recall it
    >> actually presents you with a list of each and every cookie it
    >> finds, and you'rer free then to select/unselect any of them. Knock
    >> yourself out!

    > No it does not, I am using the very latest version and it only
    > happens now and again, may be the Cookies expire them selves..?

    If that is so you can't do anything about it.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - someone on a newsgroup, somewhere.
    Enkidu, Aug 3, 2008
  8. impossible

    Enkidu Guest

    Brian Mathews wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 11:42:11 +1200, Enkidu
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Mark Robinson wrote:
    >>> Have you ever read 1984 ?
    >>>

    >> Cookies are stored *on your machine*. If you are that worried about
    >> cookies, accept them all and check them all out, delete them when
    >> you logoff or shut your machine down.
    >>
    >> Or do as 'impossible' says, ignore them and get on with your life.
    >> Yes, I have read 1984.

    > You Did not read my Posting at all, I do not want be Log On Cookies
    > being deleted so how do I stop it...

    I wasn't replying to you, Roger.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - someone on a newsgroup, somewhere.
    Enkidu, Aug 3, 2008
  9. impossible

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2008-08-03, Brian Mathews <> wrote:
    > On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 06:13:55 GMT, "impossible" <> wrote:
    >

    > So is there another TradeMe site..?
    >
    > Suggesting another site is utilly stupid, the Cookie is for a specific site..

    here's another solution (and you probably won't like this one either.)

    don't close your broweser unless forced to.
    cookies don't expire while the browser is open.
    I usually fiund that I can usually go two or three weeks without restarting
    it, sometimes two or three months.

    another solution is to edit the cookie file on disk and add some to
    their expiry time. 4 million is about 1 year's worth of seconds.

    Another almost-solution is to let your browser manage your trademe
    login.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    Jasen Betts, Aug 3, 2008
  10. impossible

    > On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 06:13:55 GMT, "impossible" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Brian Mathews" <> wrote in message

    >>> No it does not, I am using the very latest version and it only happens
    >>> now
    >>> and again, may be the
    >>> Cookies expire them selves..?
    >>>

    >>Sort of, yes. Some sites will require you to log in manually every so
    >>often
    >>just to confirm that you're actually the user they have registered. If
    >>that's a problem for you, find another site.

    > So is there another TradeMe site..?
    >
    > Suggesting another site is utilly stupid, the Cookie is for a specific
    > site..

    Hey, don't be a wanker! Either accept the rules of the sites you visit you
    go somewhere else. It's as simple as that.
    impossible, Aug 3, 2008