Re: Going online with AT&T DSL

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by philo, Apr 30, 2010.

  1. philo

    philo Guest

    On 04/30/2010 01:31 PM, DemoDisk wrote:
    > Here goes...
    >
    > This is the last day of business for my dialup ISP. Yesterday I called
    > AT&T and signed up for their DSL under a special promotion that gives me
    > their DSL "Extreme" speed of 6Mb/sec for a year. Like to know what you
    > think of the deal.
    >
    > Being stuck at the end of the last century technologically, this is kind
    > of a move into the future for me. For the first time, I can find out
    > what YouTube, streaming audio and video are all about.
    >
    > The representative *said* there should be no problem setting up the DSL
    > modem with Win98SE. Any other experiences/opinions about that?

    Since I was able to drop my second phone line...
    when I switched over to DSL I actually ended up saving money.

    DSL *will* work with win98

    but it's possible the ISP will send you some software needed to activate
    your account.

    If that's the case the software will probably not work with Win98...

    Ask them if account activation is required
    and if so...see if they can manually activate it
    philo, Apr 30, 2010

  2. philo

    NormanM Guest

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 16:12:29 -0500, DemoDisk wrote:

    > Good point. A friend tried AT&T dsl and gave up on it, probably bcz of
    > software issues. I'll talk to them about that.

    I have activated a number of AT&T DSL accounts without the software. If you
    have IE6, you can activate from a web site, which will want to install an
    ActiveX control.

    --
    Norman
    ~Oh Lord, why have you come
    NormanM, Apr 30, 2010

  3. philo

    alan Guest

    "DemoDisk" <> wrote in message

    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    >> On 04/30/2010 01:31 PM, DemoDisk wrote:
    >> > Here goes...
    >> >
    >> > This is the last day of business for my dialup ISP. Yesterday I

    > called
    >> > AT&T and signed up for their DSL under a special promotion that

    > gives me
    >> > their DSL "Extreme" speed of 6Mb/sec for a year. Like to know what

    > you
    >> > think of the deal.
    >> >
    >> > Being stuck at the end of the last century technologically, this is

    > kind
    >> > of a move into the future for me. For the first time, I can find out
    >> > what YouTube, streaming audio and video are all about.
    >> >
    >> > The representative *said* there should be no problem setting up the

    > DSL
    >> > modem with Win98SE. Any other experiences/opinions about that?
    >> >

    >> Since I was able to drop my second phone line...
    >> when I switched over to DSL I actually ended up saving money.

    > Since you mentioned this, I might raise the issue with the AT&T rep and
    > save some money instead of raising the monthly bill. :)
    >

    >> DSL *will* work with win98
    >>

    >> but it's possible the ISP will send you some software needed to

    > activate
    >> your account.
    >>
    >> If that's the case the software will probably not work with Win98...
    >>
    >> Ask them if account activation is required
    >> and if so...see if they can manually activate it

    > Good point. A friend tried AT&T dsl and gave up on it, probably bcz of
    > software issues. I'll talk to them about that.

    If they send you a CD along with your modem, do NOT use the CD to set things
    up. When I switched to AT&T DSL from dialup about 7 years ago, I made the
    mistake of using the CD they sent and would have given up had not AT&T sent
    out a technician to the house (no charge). First thing he said was DON'T
    use the CD, and he configured it manually. A friend two years ago also made
    the mistake of using that AT&T CD, and after a bit of a fuss, I configured
    it manually for him.
    Also, don't be disappointed if you don't get the full 6 MB download --- they
    only promise *up to* 6MB. You're more likely to get 4MB if you're lucky.
    I have the next plan down (*up to* 3 MB) (the 6MB pkg is not available in my
    area) and on a good day I'll get 2.5, but it averages about 2MB, sometimes
    dipping to 1.5MB . . .
    alan, Apr 30, 2010
  4. philo

    NormanM Guest

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 18:13:30 -0500, DemoDisk wrote:

    > "NormanM" <> wrote in message

    >> On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 16:12:29 -0500, DemoDisk wrote:

    >>> Good point. A friend tried AT&T dsl and gave up on it, probably bcz
    >>> of software issues. I'll talk to them about that.

    >> I have activated a number of AT&T DSL accounts without the software.
    >> If you have IE6, you can activate from a web site, which will want to
    >> install an ActiveX control.

    > why is that and is it advisable?

    I don't know what the script does, but it is advisable if you want to skip
    the CD installer.

    > Windows regularly tells me (something like) "the requested page may not
    > display correctly bcz of the lack of an ActiveX control". Security
    > advice on NGs and the web is to turn off ActiveX controls.
    >

    > just checked Internet Options/Security Settings. D/L is permitted for
    > signed ActiveX controls
    >
    > not that I understand all that, of course.

    I am pretty sure I was able to remove the AT&T ActiveX component when I was
    done migrating my accounts for the "SBC Yahoo!" partnership. I don't recall
    that I even looked for the control on later installs for friends and
    relatives. I probably should go back and check. One of those installs was on
    a Windows Me computer. Hhmmm. That one has since been replaced by a Windows
    XP computer, and another install was on a Windows XP computer replaced by a
    Windows Vista computer. Neither should have, because they did not need, that
    ActiveX control.

    I think this is the link for a manual set up:

    https://attreg.att.net/CDSLRegWeb/CDSLRegController

    NormanM, May 1, 2010