Re: Going online with AT&T DSL

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, Apr 30, 2010.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 13:31:56 -0500, DemoDisk wrote:

    > Here goes...
    >
    > This is the last day of business for my dialup ISP. Yesterday I called
    > AT&T and signed up for their DSL under a special promotion that gives me
    > their DSL "Extreme" speed of 6Mb/sec for a year. Like to know what you
    > think of the deal.
    >
    > Being stuck at the end of the last century technologically, this is kind
    > of a move into the future for me. For the first time, I can find out
    > what YouTube, streaming audio and video are all about.
    >
    > The representative *said* there should be no problem setting up the DSL
    > modem with Win98SE. Any other experiences/opinions about that?
    >
    > AIHS earlier, Internet Explorer is unstable FT2T (can't close window).
    > Once I have my DSL, I'll try d/l'ing and installing some of the new (to
    > me) browsers utilities and newsreaders mentioned here. Prolly need a new
    > HDD.
    >
    > As I've found this NG and others VERY helpful in the past, I don't think
    > much of AT&T for dropping newsgroups, so I'll be looking for inexpensive
    > access to them. Over the next year I'll learn a lot about AT&T
    > (BellSouth) as provider of landline, mobile, and DSL web access. And
    > maybe about cable (DirecTV) if I get that within the next 30 days.
    >
    > Yer comments and suggestions welcome, froup. Thanks.
    > Jm

    FYI, directtv is not a cable service. They offer only satellite tv.
    No internet.
    It's not that DSL will or won't work with 98se, it's the modem.
    You need to make sure it's compatible.

    For newsgroups, try www.newsguy.com or even www.forteinc.com
    More reliable and stable browsers are Firefox and Opera.

    richard, Apr 30, 2010

  2. richard

    NormanM Guest

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 12:45:27 -0700, richard wrote:

    > It's not that DSL will or won't work with 98se, it's the modem.
    > You need to make sure it's compatible.

    They are all compatible; the newest ones currently issued by the DSL
    providers.

    --
    Norman
    ~Oh Lord, why have you come

    NormanM, Apr 30, 2010

  3. richard

    John Holmes Guest

    Evan Platt "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 12:45:27 -0700, richard <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>FYI, directtv is not a cable service. They offer only satellite tv.
    >>No internet.

    > FYI:
    > www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/directv/internet
    >
    >>It's not that DSL will or won't work with 98se, it's the modem.
    >>You need to make sure it's compatible.

    > If it's a DSL modem, and connects via ethernet, there's no problems
    > there. Unless it's one of those bridge modems. You know, they use the
    > connector that's neither a phone line nor USB. Just bigger.
    >
    >>For newsgroups, try www.newsguy.com or even www.forteinc.com

    > What, no plug for Comodo?

    Evan, stop your rants.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Apr 30, 2010
  4. richard

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 12:45:27 -0700, richard wrote:

    > On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 13:31:56 -0500, DemoDisk wrote:
    >
    >> Here goes...
    >>
    >> This is the last day of business for my dialup ISP. Yesterday I called
    >> AT&T and signed up for their DSL under a special promotion that gives
    >> me their DSL "Extreme" speed of 6Mb/sec for a year. Like to know what
    >> you think of the deal.
    >>
    >> Being stuck at the end of the last century technologically, this is
    >> kind of a move into the future for me. For the first time, I can find
    >> out what YouTube, streaming audio and video are all about.
    >>
    >> The representative *said* there should be no problem setting up the DSL
    >> modem with Win98SE. Any other experiences/opinions about that?
    >>
    >> AIHS earlier, Internet Explorer is unstable FT2T (can't close window).
    >> Once I have my DSL, I'll try d/l'ing and installing some of the new (to
    >> me) browsers utilities and newsreaders mentioned here. Prolly need a
    >> new HDD.
    >>
    >> As I've found this NG and others VERY helpful in the past, I don't
    >> think much of AT&T for dropping newsgroups, so I'll be looking for
    >> inexpensive access to them. Over the next year I'll learn a lot about
    >> AT&T (BellSouth) as provider of landline, mobile, and DSL web access.
    >> And maybe about cable (DirecTV) if I get that within the next 30 days.
    >>
    >> Yer comments and suggestions welcome, froup. Thanks. Jm

    > FYI, directtv is not a cable service. They offer only satellite tv. No
    > internet.

    Directv internet:

    http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/directv/internet

    > It's not that DSL will or won't work with 98se, it's the modem. You need
    > to make sure it's compatible.

    AT&T DSL modems and routers all have Ethernet ports. There is no
    compatability issue.

    Meat Plow, Apr 30, 2010
  5. richard

    Jordon Guest

    richard wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 13:31:56 -0500, DemoDisk wrote:
    >
    >> Here goes...
    >>
    >> This is the last day of business for my dialup ISP. Yesterday I called
    >> AT&T and signed up for their DSL under a special promotion that gives me
    >> their DSL "Extreme" speed of 6Mb/sec for a year. Like to know what you
    >> think of the deal.
    >>
    >> Being stuck at the end of the last century technologically, this is kind
    >> of a move into the future for me. For the first time, I can find out
    >> what YouTube, streaming audio and video are all about.
    >>
    >> The representative *said* there should be no problem setting up the DSL
    >> modem with Win98SE. Any other experiences/opinions about that?
    >>
    >> AIHS earlier, Internet Explorer is unstable FT2T (can't close window).
    >> Once I have my DSL, I'll try d/l'ing and installing some of the new (to
    >> me) browsers utilities and newsreaders mentioned here. Prolly need a new
    >> HDD.
    >>
    >> As I've found this NG and others VERY helpful in the past, I don't think
    >> much of AT&T for dropping newsgroups, so I'll be looking for inexpensive
    >> access to them. Over the next year I'll learn a lot about AT&T
    >> (BellSouth) as provider of landline, mobile, and DSL web access. And
    >> maybe about cable (DirecTV) if I get that within the next 30 days.
    >>
    >> Yer comments and suggestions welcome, froup. Thanks.

    > FYI, directtv is not a cable service. They offer only satellite tv.
    > No internet.

    Whack A Mole!

    Jordon, Apr 30, 2010
  6. richard

    Jordon Guest

    DemoDisk wrote:
    > "Jordon"<jordon@REMOVE~THISmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
    >> richard wrote:

    > called

    > gives me

    > you

    > kind

    > out

    > DSL

    > window).

    > a new

    > think

    > inexpensive

    > And

    >>> FYI, directtv is not a cable service. They offer only satellite tv.
    >>> No internet.

    >> Whack A Mole!

    > huh?

    Hit him on the head and he disappears.