Re: Going online with AT&T DSL

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by OldGringo38, Apr 30, 2010.

  1. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 04/30/2010 01:31 PM, DemoDisk wrote:
    > Here goes...
    >
    > This is the last day of business for my dialup ISP. Yesterday I called
    > AT&T and signed up for their DSL under a special promotion that gives me
    > their DSL "Extreme" speed of 6Mb/sec for a year. Like to know what you
    > think of the deal.
    >
    > Being stuck at the end of the last century technologically, this is kind
    > of a move into the future for me. For the first time, I can find out
    > what YouTube, streaming audio and video are all about.
    >
    > The representative *said* there should be no problem setting up the DSL
    > modem with Win98SE. Any other experiences/opinions about that?
    >
    > AIHS earlier, Internet Explorer is unstable FT2T (can't close window).
    > Once I have my DSL, I'll try d/l'ing and installing some of the new (to
    > me) browsers utilities and newsreaders mentioned here. Prolly need a new
    > HDD.
    >
    > As I've found this NG and others VERY helpful in the past, I don't think
    > much of AT&T for dropping newsgroups, so I'll be looking for inexpensive
    > access to them. Over the next year I'll learn a lot about AT&T
    > (BellSouth) as provider of landline, mobile, and DSL web access. And
    > maybe about cable (DirecTV) if I get that within the next 30 days.
    >
    > Yer comments and suggestions welcome, froup. Thanks.
    > Jm

    Can't tell you what I think of the deal as I don't know how much it's
    worth. I live in a very rural area of Texas and have the 6Mbs Elite and
    pay $34.00 mo. for it. In 7 years it has never stopped working. Win
    98se will work just fine, that's what I started with on the DSL . It is
    time to upgrade your system as everything is becoming obsolete prior to
    Windows Vista. Web sites are being designed with newer browsers and
    Operating systems in mind, and eventually you will run into problems.
    No need to put a worn out tire on a new car. <g>
    Good Luck

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere
    OldGringo38, Apr 30, 2010

  2. OldGringo38

    NormanM Guest

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 14:27:47 -0500, DemoDisk wrote:

    > "OldGringo38" <> wrote in message

    >> Can't tell you what I think of the deal as I don't know how much it's
    >> worth. I live in a very rural area of Texas and have the 6Mbs Elite
    >> and pay $34.00 mo. for it. In 7 years it has never stopped working.
    >> Win 98se will work just fine, that's what I started with on the DSL .

    > Oh, thank god <g>

    Just so you understand, "Elite" is a legacy SBC offering. 6M/768k. $38
    standard price. You will be getting "FastAccess Xtreme 6.0", a legacy
    Bellsouth offering. 6M/512k. $42.95 standard price.

    And the advice to upgrade the OS is sound. But it may require replacing the
    hardware, if it is too old for manufacturer support of the drivers. Else run
    Linux.

    --
    Norman
    ~Oh Lord, why have you come
    NormanM, Apr 30, 2010

  3. OldGringo38

    OldGringo38 Guest

    On 4/30/2010 2:27 PM, DemoDisk wrote:
    > "OldGringo38"<> wrote in message
    >> On 04/30/2010 01:31 PM, DemoDisk wrote:
    >>> Here goes...
    >>>
    >>> This is the last day of business for my dialup ISP. Yesterday I

    > called
    >>> AT&T and signed up for their DSL under a special promotion that

    > gives me
    >>> their DSL "Extreme" speed of 6Mb/sec for a year. Like to know what

    > you
    >>> think of the deal.
    >>>
    >>> Being stuck at the end of the last century technologically, this is

    > kind
    >>> of a move into the future for me. For the first time, I can find out
    >>> what YouTube, streaming audio and video are all about.
    >>>
    >>> The representative *said* there should be no problem setting up the

    > DSL
    >>> modem with Win98SE. Any other experiences/opinions about that?
    >>>
    >>> AIHS earlier, Internet Explorer is unstable FT2T (can't close

    > window).
    >>> Once I have my DSL, I'll try d/l'ing and installing some of the new

    >>> me) browsers utilities and newsreaders mentioned here. Prolly need a

    > new
    >>> HDD.
    >>>
    >>> As I've found this NG and others VERY helpful in the past, I don't

    > think
    >>> much of AT&T for dropping newsgroups, so I'll be looking for

    > inexpensive
    >>> access to them. Over the next year I'll learn a lot about AT&T
    >>> (BellSouth) as provider of landline, mobile, and DSL web access. And
    >>> maybe about cable (DirecTV) if I get that within the next 30 days.
    >>>
    >>> Yer comments and suggestions welcome, froup. Thanks.
    >>> Jm
    >>>

    >> Can't tell you what I think of the deal as I don't know how much it's
    >> worth. I live in a very rural area of Texas and have the 6Mbs Elite

    > and
    >> pay $34.00 mo. for it. In 7 years it has never stopped working. Win
    >> 98se will work just fine, that's what I started with on the DSL .

    > Oh, thank god<g>
    >
    >> It is
    >> time to upgrade your system as everything is becoming obsolete prior

    >> Windows Vista. Web sites are being designed with newer browsers and
    >> Operating systems in mind, and eventually you will run into problems.

    > Good info. I wondered if it might be particular sites that caused IE to
    > choke. I was just feeling more& more shut outa the web.
    >
    >> No need to put a worn out tire on a new car.<g>
    >> Good Luck

    > and your good wishes appreciated. Thanks.

    Good luck, you will be amazed with DSL and will be eager to upgrade your
    current machine if feasible or get a new one.
    --
    OldGringo38
    OldGringo38, May 1, 2010