Re: Going back to ethernet from wireless?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, Dec 2, 2010.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jane_Galt wrote:
    > We had a worthing ethernet connection running across the house from a second
    > PC ( Dell ) to the ethernet-DSL hub ( Qwest PK5000 ), it was working fine.


    I'm not clear on how the ethernet went running across the house.

    > But we have a pet parrot here, who chewed up the ethernet cable.


    So that part means there was exposed ethernet cable.

    > So I'm trying to setup the ethernet with a new cable again. I put known-
    > working cables from that computer to the wall socket and from the wall socket
    > at the other end to the DSL hub.


    I'm not clear on the relationship between the ethernet cable and the
    'wall socket'. Are you saying you have an ethernet in the wall? How
    does that 'work' - connect? in your environment. For example, there
    could be a point to point ethernet in this wall just goes over yonder to
    ethernet in that wall.

    > Problem is, the light on the back of that remote PC is not lighting
    > up like the cable is connected and the OS (all Win 7 here ) is saying
    > no cable is connected.


    Maybe you need to be troubleshooting over a shorter distance just using
    'exposed' cable instead of whatever is going on behind that socket and
    the wall. How do you know what that socket goes to?

    > Anyone have any ideas on why the ethernet card down there isnt working now?


    We don't know for sure that the ethernet card isn't working. Maybe there
    is something up with this wall socket whatever.


    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Dec 2, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jane_Galt wrote:
    > Mike Easter


    >>> Anyone have any ideas on why the ethernet card down there isnt working
    >>> now?

    >> We don't know for sure that the ethernet card isn't working. Maybe there
    >> is something up with this wall socket whatever.

    >
    > Nothing changed with that. But I guess to be totally sure, I'd need to get
    > some kind of ethernet cable tester that I could plug into each end of a
    > plug-plug or socket-socket ethernet connection?


    We don't know whether the ethernet NIC in PC#2 is b0rken or if there is
    something wrong with the socket to socket under the house.

    Depending on what kinds of other systems you have lying around:

    - you could connect another computer such as a laptop to the #2 wall
    socket which office#1 wallsocket was connected to the DSL gateway.

    - you could bring the PC#2 to the office #1 DSL

    - you could use NIC #2 in some other computer, or you could acquire
    NIC #3 to put into PC#2


    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Dec 3, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Mike Easter

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 03/12/2010 01:03, Jane_Galt wrote:
    > Mike Easter<> wrote :
    >
    >> Jane_Galt wrote:
    >>> Mike Easter

    >>
    >>>>> Anyone have any ideas on why the ethernet card down there isnt
    >>>>> working now?
    >>>> We don't know for sure that the ethernet card isn't working. Maybe
    >>>> there is something up with this wall socket whatever.
    >>>
    >>> Nothing changed with that. But I guess to be totally sure, I'd need to
    >>> get some kind of ethernet cable tester that I could plug into each end
    >>> of a plug-plug or socket-socket ethernet connection?

    >>
    >> We don't know whether the ethernet NIC in PC#2 is b0rken or if there is
    >> something wrong with the socket to socket under the house.
    >>
    >> Depending on what kinds of other systems you have lying around:
    >>
    >> - you could connect another computer such as a laptop to the #2 wall
    >> socket which office#1 wallsocket was connected to the DSL gateway.

    >
    > Good idea!
    >
    > Just tried it, including shutting down the wireless card in the laptop for
    > the time being, and it says the cable isnt connected, so a problem
    > apparently developed under the house.
    >
    > Thanks guys.
    >
    > Gotta find some kind of tester, I guess, that can help id that.
    >
    >

    Save yourself a bunch of time and money and google powerline.
     
    Desk Rabbit, Dec 3, 2010
    #3
  4. Mike Easter

    Old Gringo38 Guest

    On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 19:03:52 -0600, Jane_Galt wrote:

    > Mike Easter <> wrote :
    >
    >> Jane_Galt wrote:
    >>> Mike Easter

    >>
    >>>>> Anyone have any ideas on why the ethernet card down there isnt
    >>>>> working now?
    >>>> We don't know for sure that the ethernet card isn't working. Maybe
    >>>> there is something up with this wall socket whatever.
    >>>
    >>> Nothing changed with that. But I guess to be totally sure, I'd need to
    >>> get some kind of ethernet cable tester that I could plug into each end
    >>> of a plug-plug or socket-socket ethernet connection?

    >>
    >> We don't know whether the ethernet NIC in PC#2 is b0rken or if there is
    >> something wrong with the socket to socket under the house.
    >>
    >> Depending on what kinds of other systems you have lying around:
    >>
    >> - you could connect another computer such as a laptop to the #2 wall
    >> socket which office#1 wallsocket was connected to the DSL gateway.

    >
    > Good idea!
    >
    > Just tried it, including shutting down the wireless card in the laptop for
    > the time being, and it says the cable isnt connected, so a problem
    > apparently developed under the house.
    >
    > Thanks guys.
    >
    > Gotta find some kind of tester, I guess, that can help id that.


    Ah, then you do have Rats. <g>
    --
    12/3/2010 8:23:42 AM CST
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    Support Bacteria: It Is The Only Culture Some People Have
     
    Old Gringo38, Dec 3, 2010
    #4
  5. Mike Easter

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-12-03, Jane_Galt <> wrote:
    > Mike Easter <> wrote :
    >> Jane_Galt wrote:


    [...]

    >> I'm not clear on the relationship between the ethernet cable and the
    >> 'wall socket'. Are you saying you have an ethernet in the wall? How
    >> does that 'work' - connect? in your environment. For example, there
    >> could be a point to point ethernet in this wall just goes over yonder to
    >> ethernet in that wall.

    >
    > Ok, my computer is on my office and is hooked up to the DSL/ethernet
    > modem/hub PK5000, all works fine.
    >
    > Then we have a wall socket in my office, going by ethernet cable under the
    > house to office #2 wall socket. That comes out to PC#2 on the other end, by
    > a 12 foot ethernet cable that the parrot chewed. I just replaced it with a
    > known-good ethernet cable that I tested on my PC - it works.


    [...]

    > Nothing changed with that. But I guess to be totally sure, I'd need to get
    > some kind of ethernet cable tester that I could plug into each end of a
    > plug-plug or socket-socket ethernet connection?


    You haven't mentioned what connects the router to the "wall socket in my
    office". Also check for parrots under the house ;))

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    -- ~~~~~~~~~~
     
    Whiskers, Dec 3, 2010
    #5
  6. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jane_Galt wrote:

    > So last night I ordered an Alfa AWUS036H, which appears to be a longer
    > range unit and has a holder that can be stuck up vertically on the riser of
    > the work station for better range. It has a suction cup holder for windows,
    > but I can add some double sided tape and get it stuck up higher than the
    > old unit.


    I have a big house and I extend the range of my router by a wireless
    access point ethernetted to the router.

    Doing so allows the location of that AP and its antenna to be much much
    better situated than the router itself is, which router is under a desk
    so that it can easily connect to a 'gang' of ethernetted computers
    nearby and also an ethernet switch to connect to some more.

    One device in a faraway room has a weak signal and that device has an
    ethernet port as an alternative to its wireless. I'm considering hanging
    an AP off that ethernet so I can position that AP's antenna in a better
    place to catch the signal from the other AP.

    I don't have any room to room ethernet cables, and there is a slab
    instead of under house space and no attic or overhead crawl space.

    Someone's - Desk Rabbit's - suggestion about powerline communications
    such as Home Plug seems like one answer, but so far these access points
    (which are actually multipurpose wireless routers) bought on sale are a
    lot cheaper than any HomePlug type devices I've seen.

    --
    Mike Easter
     
    Mike Easter, Dec 3, 2010
    #6
  7. Mike Easter

    Old Gringo38 Guest

    On Fri, 03 Dec 2010 12:50:32 -0600, Jane_Galt wrote:

    > Old Gringo38 <> wrote :
    >
    >> On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 19:03:52 -0600, Jane_Galt wrote:
    >>
    >>> Mike Easter <> wrote :
    >>>
    >>>> Jane_Galt wrote:
    >>>>> Mike Easter
    >>>>
    >>>>>>> Anyone have any ideas on why the ethernet card down there isnt
    >>>>>>> working now?
    >>>>>> We don't know for sure that the ethernet card isn't working. Maybe
    >>>>>> there is something up with this wall socket whatever.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Nothing changed with that. But I guess to be totally sure, I'd need
    >>>>> to get some kind of ethernet cable tester that I could plug into each
    >>>>> end of a plug-plug or socket-socket ethernet connection?
    >>>>
    >>>> We don't know whether the ethernet NIC in PC#2 is b0rken or if there
    >>>> is something wrong with the socket to socket under the house.
    >>>>
    >>>> Depending on what kinds of other systems you have lying around:
    >>>>
    >>>> - you could connect another computer such as a laptop to the #2 wall
    >>>> socket which office#1 wallsocket was connected to the DSL gateway.
    >>>
    >>> Good idea!
    >>>
    >>> Just tried it, including shutting down the wireless card in the laptop
    >>> for the time being, and it says the cable isnt connected, so a problem
    >>> apparently developed under the house.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks guys.
    >>>
    >>> Gotta find some kind of tester, I guess, that can help id that.

    >>
    >> Ah, then you do have Rats. <g>

    >
    > Only some of the more vicious people who post on these groups. LOL


    I seen that post, and my first reaction was Bats maybe but no rats.
    :)
    --
    12/3/2010 3:25:23 PM CST
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest
    Support Bacteria: It Is The Only Culture Some People Have
     
    Old Gringo38, Dec 3, 2010
    #7
  8. Mike Easter

    anyone Guest

    On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 18:26:07 -0600, Jane_Galt wrote:

    > Mike Easter <> wrote :
    >
    >> Jane_Galt wrote:
    >>> We had a worthing ethernet connection running across the house from a
    >>> second PC ( Dell ) to the ethernet-DSL hub ( Qwest PK5000 ), it was
    >>> working fine.

    >>
    >> I'm not clear on how the ethernet went running across the house.
    >>
    >>> But we have a pet parrot here, who chewed up the ethernet cable.

    >>
    >> So that part means there was exposed ethernet cable.
    >>
    >>> So I'm trying to setup the ethernet with a new cable again. I put
    >>> known- working cables from that computer to the wall socket and from
    >>> the wall socket at the other end to the DSL hub.

    >>
    >> I'm not clear on the relationship between the ethernet cable and the
    >> 'wall socket'. Are you saying you have an ethernet in the wall? How
    >> does that 'work' - connect? in your environment. For example, there
    >> could be a point to point ethernet in this wall just goes over yonder
    >> to ethernet in that wall.

    >
    > Ok, my computer is on my office and is hooked up to the DSL/ethernet
    > modem/hub PK5000, all works fine.
    >
    > Then we have a wall socket in my office, going by ethernet cable under
    > the house to office #2 wall socket. That comes out to PC#2 on the other
    > end, by a 12 foot ethernet cable that the parrot chewed. I just replaced
    > it with a known-good ethernet cable that I tested on my PC - it works.
    >
    >
    >>> Problem is, the light on the back of that remote PC is not lighting up
    >>> like the cable is connected and the OS (all Win 7 here ) is saying no
    >>> cable is connected.

    >>
    >> Maybe you need to be troubleshooting over a shorter distance just using
    >> 'exposed' cable instead of whatever is going on behind that socket and
    >> the wall. How do you know what that socket goes to?

    >
    > It's worked for years.
    >
    >>> Anyone have any ideas on why the ethernet card down there isnt working
    >>> now?

    >>
    >> We don't know for sure that the ethernet card isn't working. Maybe
    >> there is something up with this wall socket whatever.

    >
    > Nothing changed with that. But I guess to be totally sure, I'd need to
    > get some kind of ethernet cable tester that I could plug into each end
    > of a plug-plug or socket-socket ethernet connection?


    You could, or you could get another Ethernet cable that is long enough to
    stretch "...under the house to office #2 wall socket. That comes out to
    PC#2 on the other end, by a 12 foot ethernet cable that the parrot chewed."

    If nothing changes, it isn't the cable. If the 'source' PC can be
    successfully linked to some other PC over the new Ethernet cable, the
    problem isn't in the source. If some other source PC can successfully
    link to the target PC, the problem is in the first PC.

    And so on, ad nauseum...
     
    anyone, Dec 3, 2010
    #8
  9. Mike Easter

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-12-03, Mike Easter <> wrote:

    [...]

    > One device in a faraway room has a weak signal and that device has an
    > ethernet port as an alternative to its wireless. I'm considering hanging
    > an AP off that ethernet so I can position that AP's antenna in a better
    > place to catch the signal from the other AP.


    [...]

    There are also various commercial and DIY gadgets that can improve wifi
    performance; eg
    <http://www.binarywolf.com/249/diy-parabolic-reflector.htm>.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    -- ~~~~~~~~~~
     
    Whiskers, Dec 4, 2010
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Old Gringo38

    Re: Going back to ethernet from wireless?

    Old Gringo38, Dec 2, 2010, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    395
    Old Gringo38
    Dec 2, 2010
  2. Old Gringo38

    Re: Going back to ethernet from wireless?

    Old Gringo38, Dec 2, 2010, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    410
    Old Gringo38
    Dec 3, 2010
  3. Jordon

    Re: Going back to ethernet from wireless?

    Jordon, Dec 2, 2010, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    399
    Jordon
    Dec 2, 2010
  4. Dan C

    Re: Going back to ethernet from wireless?

    Dan C, Dec 3, 2010, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    441
    Old Gringo38
    Dec 3, 2010
  5. G. Morgan

    Re: Going back to ethernet from wireless?

    G. Morgan, Dec 3, 2010, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    399
    G. Morgan
    Dec 3, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page