Re: GM picks Microsoft CFO to run finances

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Carnations, Dec 22, 2009.

  1. Carnations

    Carnations Guest

    On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 19:30:00 +1300, Mutley wrote:

    > General Motors Co. has tapped Chris Liddell, chief financial officer of
    > Microsoft Corp., to be its new vice chairman and chief financial
    > officer.

    Hmmm...

    Being an office admin for a bunch of garage mechanics is an upward move away from Microsoft.

    --
    The meaning of "Microsoft"? Small and limp!

    Carnations, Dec 22, 2009

  2. Carnations

    Adam Guest

    Carnations wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 19:30:00 +1300, Mutley wrote:
    >
    >> General Motors Co. has tapped Chris Liddell, chief financial officer of
    >> Microsoft Corp., to be its new vice chairman and chief financial
    >> officer.

    > Hmmm...
    >
    > Being an office admin for a bunch of garage mechanics is an upward move
    > away from Microsoft.

    Charming.

    Its still a little blurry why he left. Seems
    a slight push was involved.

    Adam, Dec 22, 2009

  3. Carnations

    Carnations Guest

    On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 07:10:30 +1300, Adam wrote:

    > Carnations wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 19:30:00 +1300, Mutley wrote:
    >>
    >>> General Motors Co. has tapped Chris Liddell, chief financial officer
    >>> of Microsoft Corp., to be its new vice chairman and chief financial
    >>> officer.

    >> Hmmm...
    >>
    >> Being an office admin for a bunch of garage mechanics is an upward move
    >> away from Microsoft.

    > Charming.
    >
    > Its still a little blurry why he left. Seems a slight push was involved.

    Interesting.

    A case of "go get another job or we'll sack you"?

    Carnations, Dec 22, 2009
  4. Carnations

    Carnations Guest

    On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 21:49:28 +1300, Crash wrote:

    >>Its still a little blurry why he left. Seems a slight push was involved.
    >>

    > Care to explain how you arrived at this conclusion? Having been at MS
    > since 2005 as CFO then with few other options within MS I believe it is
    > entirely reasonable that Liddell would want to move on.

    I can't see how it would be "reasonable" for an accountant in a good highly-paid job to want to change
    jobs after only 5 years.

    Presumably it is a good job, presumably it is highly-paid, and presumably he wanted to change jobs.

    Carnations, Dec 23, 2009
  5. Carnations

    Simon Guest

    On Dec 24, 12:08 am, Carnations <> wrote:
    > I can't see how it would be "reasonable" for an accountant in a good highly-paid job to want to change
    > jobs after only 5 years.

    IMO, seeking alternative employment after five year block of time at
    such a senior-level position at a major multinational company, is
    perfectly reasonable. Although the role is undoubtedly well paying,
    the man is obviously motivated by challenges, and a role at GM (at
    which he is tipped for several positions) will certainly present that.

    Simon, Dec 23, 2009
  6. Carnations

    Adam Guest

    Simon wrote:

    > On Dec 24, 12:08 am, Carnations <> wrote:
    >> I can't see how it would be "reasonable" for an accountant in a good
    >> highly-paid job to want to change jobs after only 5 years.

    > IMO, seeking alternative employment after five year block of time at
    > such a senior-level position at a major multinational company, is
    > perfectly reasonable. Although the role is undoubtedly well paying,
    > the man is obviously motivated by challenges, and a role at GM (at
    > which he is tipped for several positions) will certainly present that.

    On the NZ radio news when it was first reported, it
    sais something like, MS said that they were happy with
    Liddell's work, and that he wanted to move on and work
    for another large company.

    It just seems a little unclear, or .. fickle.

    Adam, Dec 24, 2009