Re: giveaway of the day -10/13/2010

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by VanguardLH, Oct 14, 2010.

  1. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    David Sherman wrote:

    > GiveawayotDay Paragon Alignment Tool Special Edition is the tool that
    > aligns partitions in a single operation! http://bit.ly/info/bYSKs4
    > Wed, Oct 13 03:09:33 from twitterfeed
    >
    > http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/paragon-alignment-tool-special-edition-english-version/
    > http://www.paragon-software.com/business/partition-alignment/index.html
    > If you can't use it today, please download, and run the setup.exe file
    > in the zip to get the registration code.
    >
    > thanks

    You will not be able to install the program unless you have an Internet
    connection. Their wrapper phones home to verify the offer is still
    valid.

    You cannot [re]install the program after today. You get one shot to
    install the program. If your hard drive dies and you replace it, if the
    file system gets corrupted, you don't physically protect your host and
    someone manages to format your hard disk, the kids or gramma ends up
    install malware that deletes files, or for whatever reason you need to
    later install the program, you won't be able to.

    For the above reasons, I never waste my time with the supposed
    "giveaways" at giveawayoftheday.com.

    Interesting that Paragon wants you to pay $29.95 for their PAT utility
    despite them giving a link to a Microsoft KB article that tells you how
    to use the free diskpart utility.

    The Microsoft KB article talks about alignment for stripes for multiple
    disks configured in a RAID setup. The VMWare article talks about their
    VMFS file system used in their virtual machines (for their payware
    Vsphere and ESX products). This allows growing the size of a partition
    by adding more disks and spanning across this (i.e., a variation of the
    JBOD setup or perhaps like the dynamic volume available in Windows but
    seem to have some additional features).

    Considering the limited scenarios under which this partition alignment
    will help, I would think users of this software would want support
    included. Oh yes, giveawayoftheday.com will provide support during the
    giveaway period at a Twitter site. Oh, gee, a Twitter site for support,
    yeah, like that's where I'd want to go. And, of course, since the
    giveaway ends at midnight tomorrow then their support vanishes. So all
    you get for "support" is how to download it and perhaps how to install
    it but nothing thereafter.

    It behooves users to actually read the Paragon site and do some research
    so they know what this tool is supposed to do. Partition alignment has
    nothing to do with defragmentation. It is unlikely to be of value to
    most users. Considering what this software does, it is unlikely that
    anyone that gets it won't be trying to reinstall it after today to
    continue using it in a rebuild, restore, or new build. After all, if
    you get it today (before it expires and thereafter refuses to install)
    then it is something that you need today. You don't keep rerunning this
    program. You run it once. You won't be using it again until the next
    VM you create that uses VMFS or setup another RAID config. If you
    possess the hardware config that make use of this software, you won't be
    able to install this software after today and if you install it today
    then it's a utility that you run once.

    VanguardLH, Oct 14, 2010

  2. VanguardLH

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 19:27:01 -0500, VanguardLH <> wrote:

> [...]

    >it but nothing thereafter.
    >
    >It behooves users to actually read the Paragon site and do some research
    >so they know what this tool is supposed to do. Partition alignment has
    >nothing to do with defragmentation. It is unlikely to be of value to
    >most users. Considering what this software does, it is unlikely that
    >anyone that gets it won't be trying to reinstall it after today to
    >continue using it in a rebuild, restore, or new build. After all, if
    >you get it today (before it expires and thereafter refuses to install)
    >then it is something that you need today. You don't keep rerunning this
    >program. You run it once. You won't be using it again until the next
    >VM you create that uses VMFS or setup another RAID config. If you
    >possess the hardware config that make use of this software, you won't be
    >able to install this software after today and if you install it today

    If you have the numbers, for registration and the serial number? Why
    can't you set it up whenever you might need it.
    I set it up and uninstalled it. I think I will be able to set it up
    again without going to their page or am I wrong?

    joevan, Oct 14, 2010

  3. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    joevan wrote:

    > If you have the numbers, for registration and the serial number? Why
    > can't you set it up whenever you might need it.
    > I set it up and uninstalled it. I think I will be able to set it up
    > again without going to their page or am I wrong?

    Giveawayoftheday.com envelops the "giveaway" with their wrapper program.
    You are running THEIR install which phones home to find out if that
    product is still within the giveaway period. If the wrapper can't make
    a network connection back to their site, it won't permit the execution
    of the program's installer (which you can't get at since it isn't a
    separate file). If their wrapper can connect and validates the giveaway
    period hasn't yet expired, it then allows the program's installer to
    run.

    If the wrapper find the giveaway period has expired, you will not be
    allowed to install the program. This giveaway ends in around 6 hours.
    If you install before that, you'll have just that one installation
    instance to use thereafter. If you lose that installation and need to
    reinstall later, their wrapper phones home, finds the giveaway period
    has expired, and aborts the install.

    Because of this stupidity, some companies that wanted to give away a
    [crippled] version of their software would discover these limitations
    and would instead provide their own download. They didn't realize the
    limitations of using giveawayoftheday.com, got burned, and then provided
    their own separate download. I forget the company but one wanted their
    free version available for a year (and that includes reinstalling it) so
    they had to dump the giveawayoftheday.com download and provide a link to
    their own download (which had its own license expiration after a year).

    Giveawayoftheday.com is nothing but a bunch of lures where you can
    install once and once only which has to be before the giveaway ends. If
    a company wants to give you a true free version whose license is good
    for, say, a year then they cannot use giveawayoftheday.com.

    If you ever need to reinstall the software that you got from
    giveawayoftheday.com, just toss it rather than endure the frustration
    that it abort the install since the giveaway period has long expired.

    http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/faq/
    Read the "Is GOTD a trial?" section. Notice the last sentence in that
    section.

    So how often do you install software which can be installed only on the
    very day that you get it and can never thereafter be installed again?

    VanguardLH, Oct 14, 2010
  4. VanguardLH

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2010 20:18:03 -0500, VanguardLH <> wrote:

    >joevan wrote:
    >
    >> If you have the numbers, for registration and the serial number? Why
    >> can't you set it up whenever you might need it.
    >> I set it up and uninstalled it. I think I will be able to set it up
    >> again without going to their page or am I wrong?

    >Giveawayoftheday.com envelops the "giveaway" with their wrapper program.
    >You are running THEIR install which phones home to find out if that
    >product is still within the giveaway period. If the wrapper can't make
    >a network connection back to their site, it won't permit the execution
    >of the program's installer (which you can't get at since it isn't a
    >separate file). If their wrapper can connect and validates the giveaway
    >period hasn't yet expired, it then allows the program's installer to
    >run.
    >
    >If the wrapper find the giveaway period has expired, you will not be
    >allowed to install the program. This giveaway ends in around 6 hours.
    >If you install before that, you'll have just that one installation
    >instance to use thereafter. If you lose that installation and need to
    >reinstall later, their wrapper phones home, finds the giveaway period
    >has expired, and aborts the install.
    >
    >Because of this stupidity, some companies that wanted to give away a
    >[crippled] version of their software would discover these limitations
    >and would instead provide their own download. They didn't realize the
    >limitations of using giveawayoftheday.com, got burned, and then provided
    >their own separate download. I forget the company but one wanted their
    >free version available for a year (and that includes reinstalling it) so
    >they had to dump the giveawayoftheday.com download and provide a link to
    >their own download (which had its own license expiration after a year).
    >
    >Giveawayoftheday.com is nothing but a bunch of lures where you can
    >install once and once only which has to be before the giveaway ends. If
    >a company wants to give you a true free version whose license is good
    >for, say, a year then they cannot use giveawayoftheday.com.
    >
    >If you ever need to reinstall the software that you got from
    >giveawayoftheday.com, just toss it rather than endure the frustration
    >that it abort the install since the giveaway period has long expired.
    >
    >http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/faq/
    >Read the "Is GOTD a trial?" section. Notice the last sentence in that
    >section.
    >
    >So how often do you install software which can be installed only on the
    >very day that you get it and can never thereafter be installed again?

    Thanks. Makes sense that the program is useless. I doubt if they will
    gain many friends from that tactic.

    joevan, Oct 14, 2010