Re: GIMP is on the NZ PC world magazine

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mainlander, Oct 9, 2003.

  1. Mainlander

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <Yu4hb.7380$>,
    says...
    > Eric wrote:
    >
    > > A bit like "photoshop" but free. on the CDROM that comes with NZ PC world
    > > magazine in the shops now.
    > >
    > > A good program

    Arcane, the way it opens a DOS window for operations.

    Mainlander, Oct 9, 2003

  2. Mainlander

    Allistar Guest

    Mainlander wrote:

    > In article <Yu4hb.7380$>,
    > says...
    >> Eric wrote:
    >>
    >> > A bit like "photoshop" but free. on the CDROM that comes with NZ PC
    >> > world magazine in the shops now.
    >> >
    >> > A good program

    > Arcane, the way it opens a DOS window for operations.

    Does it? Not for me.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Oct 9, 2003

  3. Mainlander

    me here Guest

    Mainlander wrote:
    > In article <Yu4hb.7380$>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Eric wrote:
    >>

    >>>A bit like "photoshop" but free. on the CDROM that comes with NZ PC world
    >>>magazine in the shops now.
    >>>
    >>>A good program

    > Arcane, the way it opens a DOS window for operations.

    Tip: Most operations are found through the mouse right-click.
    After you learn your way around the menus you will be set.

    After that you are away.

    If you want to save/edit GIF files you must download an add-in that is
    seperate to the GIMP installation. This is because GIF is a patented
    file format and GIMP does not have a liscense.

    Otherwise enjoy!!

    me here, Oct 9, 2003
  4. Mainlander

    Peter Guest

    this quote is from me here of Fri, 10 Oct 2003 06:21 :

    > If you want to save/edit GIF files you must download an add-in that is
    > seperate to the GIMP installation. This is because GIF is a patented
    > file format and GIMP does not have a liscense.

    I thought that the gif patent had expired.
    After google search, I see that was only in USA, and we have to wait until
    mid 2004 before it runs out in Europe / Canada.
    http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/6/19/35919/4079

    Does anyone know the status in NZ?

    Peter

    Peter, Oct 9, 2003
  5. Mainlander

    Eagle Eye Guest

    "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    > In article <Yu4hb.7380$>,
    > says...
    > > Eric wrote:
    > >
    > > > A bit like "photoshop" but free. on the CDROM that comes with NZ PC

    world
    > > > magazine in the shops now.
    > > >
    > > > A good program

    > Arcane, the way it opens a DOS window for operations.

    I had a look at that program recently. Don't like it personally. However I
    came across Print Shop Pro 5.01 by Jasc. It's on the October Aussie "PC
    User" magazine's CD and totally free. I also updated it on the website to
    5.03. You need to register it by November 10 though. Surprisingly they only
    want an email address and name, no address, age, etc data. The only problem
    is that it's only for Win 95/98, as it's an old program from 1999. I also
    tried the trial version of PSP 8 and I will definitely upgrade if I get Win
    XP in the near future. They are offering users a cheaper upgrade when I
    looked at the information on the CD, however the Jasc website also has
    slashed the price lately.

    Eagle Eye, Oct 9, 2003
  6. Mainlander

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <bm4cua$imura$-berlin.de>,
    says...

    > "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    > > In article <Yu4hb.7380$>,
    > > says...

    > world

    > > Arcane, the way it opens a DOS window for operations.
    > >

    > I had a look at that program recently. Don't like it personally. However I
    > came across Print Shop Pro 5.01 by Jasc. It's on the October Aussie "PC
    > User" magazine's CD and totally free. I also updated it on the website to
    > 5.03. You need to register it by November 10 though. Surprisingly they only
    > want an email address and name, no address, age, etc data. The only problem
    > is that it's only for Win 95/98, as it's an old program from 1999. I also
    > tried the trial version of PSP 8 and I will definitely upgrade if I get Win
    > XP in the near future. They are offering users a cheaper upgrade when I
    > looked at the information on the CD, however the Jasc website also has
    > slashed the price lately.

    have used PSP3 for years (never expires)

    Mainlander, Oct 9, 2003
  7. Mainlander

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Eagle Eye" <> wrote in message

    > "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    > > In article <Yu4hb.7380$>,
    > > says...

    > world

    > > Arcane, the way it opens a DOS window for operations.
    > >

    > I had a look at that program recently. Don't like it personally. However I
    > came across Print Shop Pro 5.01 by Jasc. It's on the October Aussie "PC
    > User" magazine's CD and totally free. I also updated it on the website to
    > 5.03. You need to register it by November 10 though. Surprisingly they

    only
    > want an email address and name, no address, age, etc data. The only

    problem
    > is that it's only for Win 95/98, as it's an old program from 1999. I also
    > tried the trial version of PSP 8 and I will definitely upgrade if I get

    Win
    > XP in the near future. They are offering users a cheaper upgrade when I
    > looked at the information on the CD, however the Jasc website also has
    > slashed the price lately.

    That's Jasc *paint* shop pro, not *print* shop pro.

    I didn't realise it was 95/98 only. I was going to install it on my XP
    machine this week, that's why I have the disk on-hand.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Oct 9, 2003
  8. Mainlander

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 09:14:11 +1300, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > That's Jasc *paint* shop pro, not *print* shop pro.
    >
    > I didn't realise it was 95/98 only. I was going to install it on my XP
    > machine this week, that's why I have the disk on-hand. --
    > ~misfit~

    We used to use it just fine on NT/W2K.

    Depending on the OS, it might require you to be in the local Power Users
    group to run it though.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Oct 9, 2003
  9. I have installed Paint shop Pro 5 from PC User Disk under XP no
    problems so far

    Patrick

    Patrick FitzGerald, Oct 9, 2003
  10. Mainlander

    Eagle Eye Guest

    "~misfit~" <~misfit~@his-desk.com> wrote in message

    > "Eagle Eye" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    > > > In article <Yu4hb.7380$>,
    > > > says...

    PC
    > > world

    > > > Arcane, the way it opens a DOS window for operations.
    > > >

    > > I had a look at that program recently. Don't like it personally. However

    > > came across Print Shop Pro 5.01 by Jasc. It's on the October Aussie "PC
    > > User" magazine's CD and totally free. I also updated it on the website

    > > 5.03. You need to register it by November 10 though. Surprisingly they

    > only
    > > want an email address and name, no address, age, etc data. The only

    > problem
    > > is that it's only for Win 95/98, as it's an old program from 1999. I

    also
    > > tried the trial version of PSP 8 and I will definitely upgrade if I get

    > Win
    > > XP in the near future. They are offering users a cheaper upgrade when I
    > > looked at the information on the CD, however the Jasc website also has
    > > slashed the price lately.

    > That's Jasc *paint* shop pro, not *print* shop pro.
    >
    > I didn't realise it was 95/98 only. I was going to install it on my XP
    > machine this week, that's why I have the disk on-hand.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Sorry, that's correct..."Paint Shop Pro".

    Eagle Eye, Oct 9, 2003
  11. Mainlander

    T.N.O. Guest

    "techie" wrote
    > Heh. Sounds like MS needs to add a Windows 98 compatability layer to
    > Windows XP.

    there is one.

    T.N.O., Oct 9, 2003
  12. Mainlander

    techie Guest

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 12:03:35 -0700, Eagle Eye wrote:

    > The only problem is that it's only for Win 95/98, as it's an old
    > program from 1999.

    Heh. Sounds like MS needs to add a Windows 98 compatability layer to
    Windows XP.

    --
    ____ ___ _______ ____ ___
    / __/______ ___ / _ )/ __/ _ \ / __/ < / http://www.FreeBSD.org

    techie, Oct 10, 2003
  13. Mainlander

    T.N.O. Guest

    "techie" wrote
    > >> Heh. Sounds like MS needs to add a Windows 98 compatability layer to
    > >> Windows XP.

    > > there is one.

    > No, I meant a *real* compatability layer, one that works invisibly to
    > the user. With Windows XP the user has to go through a few steps, which
    > means they have to somehow know that those steps exist and how to do
    > them

    Or, maybe users could stop using old software that isnt designed for the new
    OS?

    T.N.O., Oct 10, 2003
  14. Mainlander

    Richard Guest

    T.N.O. wrote:

    > "techie" wrote

    >> > there is one.

    >> No, I meant a *real* compatability layer, one that works invisibly to
    >> the user. With Windows XP the user has to go through a few steps, which
    >> means they have to somehow know that those steps exist and how to do
    >> them

    > Or, maybe users could stop using old software that isnt designed for the new
    > OS?

    But why should they? If their software does the job, why should they have
    to change it just because some greedy wankers in Redmond decide that
    they're going to ditch support for their own b0rken code and force
    everyone to do the new-os-new-hardware-new-everything dance all over
    again? And don't tell me they can continue to run the older OS; try
    getting new security patches for a net-connected, but otherwise perfectly
    functional, Windows 98 machine. Latest isn't always greatest, and
    businesses can't always afford to convert/upgrade at Billy-boy's whim.

    Richard

    Richard, Oct 10, 2003
  15. Mainlander

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Richard" wrote
    > But why should they? If their software does the job, why should they have
    > to change it just because some greedy wankers in Redmond decide that
    > they're going to ditch support for their own b0rken code and force
    > everyone to do the new-os-new-hardware-new-everything dance all over
    > again?

    Who said that the OS code is broken, could it be that the software simply
    wasnt designed to work on XP, wouldn't that make it the software vendors
    fault?

    > And don't tell me they can continue to run the older OS

    wasn't going to.

    > try
    > getting new security patches for a net-connected, but otherwise perfectly
    > functional, Windows 98 machine.

    There were a few last week...

    > Latest isn't always greatest, and
    > businesses can't always afford to convert/upgrade at Billy-boy's whim.

    never said they did, but if they have a new OS(example above), presumably
    they got it with a new machine, in my experience, very few companies upgrade
    their OS, they get new machines with the new os on it.

    T.N.O., Oct 10, 2003
  16. Mainlander

    techie Guest

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:03:47 -0700, T.N.O. wrote:

    > "techie" wrote
    >> Heh. Sounds like MS needs to add a Windows 98 compatability layer to
    >> Windows XP.

    > there is one.

    No, I meant a *real* compatability layer, one that works invisibly to
    the user. With Windows XP the user has to go through a few steps, which
    means they have to somehow know that those steps exist and how to do
    them:

    <http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-355.html>

    Now strangely, FreeBSD which is designed for by hardcore geeks, is even
    easier than the designed-for-consumers Windows in this department. I
    can't tell a Linux-native binary program from a FreeBSD-native binary
    just by running it. Install it the same way, use it the same way, the
    correct compatability layer kicks in automatically.

    The only reason I can imagine that Microsoft can't make it just as easy,
    is that maybe Windows executables don't contain enough embedded info to
    know the target platform of an application. But I used to program for
    DOS a lot and Windows a little, and I'm sure there's a byte in the
    Windows EXE header for the target platform.

    Dang if I know. <scratching head>

    --
    ____ ___ _______ ____ ___
    / __/______ ___ / _ )/ __/ _ \ / __/ < / http://www.FreeBSD.org

    techie, Oct 10, 2003
  17. Mainlander

    Eagle Eye Guest

    "techie" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 18:23:38 -0700, T.N.O. wrote:
    >
    > > "Richard" wrote
    > >> But why should they? If their software does the job, why should they
    > >> have to change it just because some greedy wankers in Redmond decide
    > >> that they're going to ditch support for their own b0rken code and force
    > >> everyone to do the new-os-new-hardware-new-everything dance all over
    > >> again?

    > > Who said that the OS code is broken, could it be that the software
    > > simply wasnt designed to work on XP, wouldn't that make it the software
    > > vendors fault?

    > No, it would be Microsoft's fault for failing to maintain compatability
    > with their older API's.
    >
    > Here I am running a *free* OS that can run binaries compiled for
    > entirely different operating systems - and in many cases even
    > closed-source Windows - and yet Microsoft can't even maintain code
    > compatability from one version of their own expensive OS to the next on
    > the very same hardware.

    Don't tell me it's Linux - I would never have guessed.

    Eagle Eye, Oct 10, 2003
  18. Mainlander

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Patrick FitzGerald" <> wrote in message

    > I have installed Paint shop Pro 5 from PC User Disk under XP no
    > problems so far

    Good to know, thanks Patrick.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Oct 10, 2003
  19. Mainlander

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > "techie" wrote
    > > Heh. Sounds like MS needs to add a Windows 98 compatability layer to
    > > Windows XP.

    > there is one.

    LOL. It doesn't always work though. I have a few games that ran fine under
    98SE that won't go with XP, even using 'compatability mode'. Random crashes.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---

    ~misfit~, Oct 10, 2003
  20. Mainlander

    harry Guest

    On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 16:16:45 +1300, Eagle Eye wrote:

    > "techie" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 18:23:38 -0700, T.N.O. wrote:
    >>
    >> > "Richard" wrote
    >> >
    >> > Who said that the OS code is broken, could it be that the software
    >> > simply wasnt designed to work on XP, wouldn't that make it the
    >> > software vendors fault?

    >> No, it would be Microsoft's fault for failing to maintain compatability
    >> with their older API's.
    >>
    >> Here I am running a *free* OS that can run binaries compiled for
    >> entirely different operating systems - and in many cases even
    >> closed-source Windows - and yet Microsoft can't even maintain code
    >> compatability from one version of their own expensive OS to the next on
    >> the very same hardware.
    >>

    > Don't tell me it's Linux - I would never have guessed.

    Don't tell me, you are a moron that can't read a signature that says
    FreeBSD in both ASCII art and a URL.

    harry, Oct 10, 2003