Re: GIMP and UFraw

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jurgen, Dec 7, 2008.

  1. Jurgen

    Jurgen Guest

    jeff worsnop wrote:
    > I have downloaded the above free editer and raw converter as an
    > alternative to expensive Adobe products. I have also downloaded the
    > free Rawtherapee raw converter.
    > Both the raw converters seem to work well on my Sony ARW files except
    > the interfaces are not quite so familiar and therefore not so easy to
    > use as Adobe elements and CS that I now have. CS, of course, will not
    > work with the Adobe raw converter that will convert my ARW files and
    > the PSE6 raw converter has fewer user options than the free converters
    > eg curves. Adobe obsolescence policy really iritates me.
    > Does anyone have any opinions about the quality of these products in
    > relation to image manipulation and the quality of the conversions and
    > are there any pitfalls in using them.
    > Cheers
    >
    > Jeff

    Since RAW shooting became "fashionable" with photographers, there have
    been a number of RAW developers all claiming to de-mosaic RAW files
    "better" than others.

    Adobe ACR is not brilliant piece of engineering you absolutely must
    have. It is just another RAW converter that doesn't do as good a job as
    it could on some makes of RAW files.

    I use s5 Fuji cameras which are basically Nikon D200's with a different
    sensor. Although 90% of the time I'm satisfied with it's JPEG output,
    when I process it's RAW files is how I discovered the good, bad and ugly
    image developers.

    I'd say in all sincerity, use the DCraw derived developers. They are
    free but this doesn't mean they are crap. I wouldn't use Gimp if it was
    the last program on earth but I certainly like the RAW converter that
    works stand alone using some of GIMP's files.

    Jurgen, Dec 7, 2008