Re: GIMP and UFraw

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Clair Johnston, Dec 6, 2008.

  1. jeff worsnop wrote:
    > I have downloaded the above free editer and raw converter as an
    > alternative to expensive Adobe products. I have also downloaded the
    > free Rawtherapee raw converter.
    > Both the raw converters seem to work well on my Sony ARW files except
    > the interfaces are not quite so familiar and therefore not so easy to
    > use as Adobe elements and CS that I now have. CS, of course, will not
    > work with the Adobe raw converter that will convert my ARW files and
    > the PSE6 raw converter has fewer user options than the free converters
    > eg curves. Adobe obsolescence policy really iritates me.
    > Does anyone have any opinions about the quality of these products in
    > relation to image manipulation and the quality of the conversions and
    > are there any pitfalls in using them.
    > Cheers
    >
    > Jeff

    Jeff,
    I have been using GIMP and UFRaw for a number of years. The interface
    is different from Adobe products. This is to be expected for various
    reasons. A thorough understanding of the concepts go a long way in
    mitigating those differences. I have just started using RawTherapee for
    some of my photo adjustments. I just downloaded the latest "bleeding
    edge" version and like it a lot for some things. As with any program,
    if you go overboard, you can make a good photo bad.

    One thing to keep in mind is that these programs are free or open
    source. They do not cost you anything to try. If you like them consider
    supporting the development in some way. GIMP is open source and seems
    to have a strong development team with frequent releases. At some point
    in time, the developer of RawTherapee will be discovered and acquired by
    a large company. That is what happened with Pixmatic RawShooter which
    was an excellent free application to process raw photos.

    My suggestion is to give the programs a fair trial. The only loss is
    your time and you are learning all the time. Doesn't it really boil
    down to learning when you think about it.

    By the way, Many conversion programs use Dave Coffin's DCRAW
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dcraw in the underlaying conversion
    program, so conversion will essentially the same. Other algorithms will
    likely be different.

    Clair
    Clair Johnston, Dec 6, 2008

  2. jeff worsnop wrote:
    > My suggestion is to give the programs a fair trial. The only loss is
    > your time and you are learning all the time. Doesn't it really boil
    > down to learning when you think about it.
    >
    > By the way, Many conversion programs use Dave Coffin's DCRAW
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dcraw in the underlaying conversion
    > program, so conversion will essentially the same. Other algorithms
    > will
    > likely be different.
    >
    > Clair
    >
    > Thanks for the link.
    > Agreed that I should spend time getting to know the programmes which is
    > fine (retired and time rich) but I am not savvy enough to work out the
    > advantages/disadvantages myself. And my screen is not very discerning
    > either and making test prints can get quite costly.
    > Cheers
    > Jeff

    Jeff,
    I also am retired but have found that I am not time rich. Photography
    has been a hobby for 45+ years. Making money from photography is not
    for the faint of heart so it has been a hobby and I found other ways to
    make an income.

    The first item is to change your thinking. Think "I am savvy enough to
    figure this out!" The internet is a wonderful research/learning tool.
    use it to your advantage. Your comment "my screen is not very
    discerning either and making test prints can get quite costly" may not
    be as big of a problem as you may think. Anyway it exists no matter how
    expensive the software you acquire. Depending on your computer system
    it may be as simple as a little configuration or as costly as a new
    monitor and display adapter. I would start by learning how to configure
    your existing equipment. Do an internet search for "monitor
    calibration". A quick basic check can be found at
    http://www.stegmann.dk/mikkel/photo/calibration/ Read the accompanying
    text and your display manual to make adjustments.

    Another website to help get started is
    http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/monitor_calibration.htm . It has
    lots of links and at least one image you can print to check what you see
    on your screen is what you print. From there it usually gets tricky,
    but learning is half the fun.

    Another page with lots of links is:
    http://www.freecolormanagement.com/color/links.html

    Other links:
    http://epaperpress.com/psphoto/index.html
    http://www.digitaldog.net/tips/index.shtml
    http://www.brucelindbloom.com/index.html?ReferenceImages.html <<hint>>
    http://epaperpress.com/monitorcal/

    Thats all for now. I'm looking for the test image that I use, but
    haven't found a link on the web.

    Clair
    Clair Johnston, Dec 7, 2008