Re: Gigli: From Theater to DVD Record?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Phil7101, Aug 3, 2003.

  1. Phil7101

    Phil7101 Guest

    >Everybody knew that _Gigli_ would be a bad movie, but who would have
    >guessed that it would be excruciatingly-awful? The reviews for _Gigli_
    >are currently 98% bad. This movie could set the speed record for the
    >quickest theatrical release window of all time and end up on DVD within
    >a few weeks.

    Box office performance doesn't have anything to do with DVD release dates...if
    it did, the $15 million grossing Solaris would have been out in December, but
    it took longer than most movies to get to dvd.

    Phil7101, Aug 3, 2003

  2. Phil7101

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Phil7101" <6> wrote in message
    > >Everybody knew that _Gigli_ would be a bad movie, but who would
    > >have guessed that it would be excruciatingly-awful? The reviews
    > >for _Gigli_ are currently 98% bad. This movie could set the speed
    > >record for the quickest theatrical release window of all time and
    > >end up on DVD within a few weeks.

    > Box office performance doesn't have anything to do with DVD
    > release dates...if it did, the $15 million grossing Solaris would
    > have been out in December, but it took longer than most movies
    > to get to dvd.

    Considering that Affleck and Lopez each got $12 Million plus a
    percentage of the "profits", _Gigli_ will never recover its production
    costs at the box office. I would think that Sony Pictures might want to
    get the DVD out as soon as possible in an attempt to recover as least
    some of the costs of this bomb.

    In its first two days, _Gigli_ was playing in 2215 theaters and took in
    less than $3 Million -- actually attracting fewer patrons on Saturday
    than it did on Friday:

    Date (days) Rank Gross* Theaters Avg. Total*

    Aug 2 2003 (2) 8 $1.349 -9% 2215 $609 $2.831
    Aug 1 2003 (1) 7 $1.482 2215 $669 $1.482

    Some multiplexes are showing _Gigli_ to its very few customers, on TWO
    screens, while turning away customers for _Pirates of the Caribbean_ and
    _Seabiscuit_. What a waste!

    _Gigli_ got only 1.5 stars on the Internet Movie Database. Madonna's
    horrible _Swept Away_ got 3.8 stars, so this illustrates the magnitude
    of awfulness that this piece of shit must contain.

    http://us.imdb.com/Details?0299930

    I'm looking for Jennifer Lopez to dump Ben Affleck before the DVD comes
    out. She can't afford to be associated with someone who can't act, can't
    choose a good script and who's movies flop as badly as _Gigli_ has done.

    http://www.leesmovieinfo.net/wbotitle.php?t=1999

    Scot Gardner, Aug 3, 2003

  3. Phil7101

    Peter Guest

    Scot Gardner wrote:

    > I'm looking for Jennifer Lopez to dump Ben Affleck before the DVD comes
    > out. She can't afford to be associated with someone who can't act, can't
    > choose a good script and who's movies flop as badly as _Gigli_ has done.
    >
    > http://www.leesmovieinfo.net/wbotitle.php?t=1999

    Didn't Jlo's Maid in Manhatten do fairly poorly ? I had no interest in
    seeing this, but two people I know who saw it, said it was really bad.

    --
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the
    computer you will find at least two human errors,

    Peter, Aug 3, 2003
  4. Phil7101

    Scot Gardner Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message

    <<Didn't Jlo's Maid in Manhatten do fairly poorly ? I had no interest in
    seeing this, but two people I know who saw it, said it was really bad.>>

    There are bad movies, and there are BAD, BAD, BAD, BAD movies.

    Apparently, _Maid in Manhattan_ falls under the first classification and
    _Gigli_ falls under the second.

    Scot Gardner, Aug 4, 2003
  5. "Scot Gardner" <> writes:

    >"Phil7101" <6> wrote in message
    >> >Everybody knew that _Gigli_ would be a bad movie, but who would
    >> >have guessed that it would be excruciatingly-awful? The reviews
    >> >for _Gigli_ are currently 98% bad. This movie could set the speed
    >> >record for the quickest theatrical release window of all time and
    >> >end up on DVD within a few weeks.

    >> Box office performance doesn't have anything to do with DVD
    >> release dates...if it did, the $15 million grossing Solaris would
    >> have been out in December, but it took longer than most movies
    >> to get to dvd.

    >Considering that Affleck and Lopez each got $12 Million plus a
    >percentage of the "profits",

    Doesn't this mean that they will end up owing the studio money?
    --
    See the documented lies of Pastor Frank: http://tinyurl.com/6009
    Saddam's name coded in a famous and old book: http://tinyurl.com/6mr4

    Keenan Clay Wilkie, Aug 4, 2003