Re: Gigaset "server not available" problem

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Anthony R. Gold, Nov 29, 2012.

  1. On Wed, 28 Nov 2012 22:31:22 +0000, "Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)"
    <> wrote:

    > Hi folks,
    > This one has got me confused.
    > Gigaset at home has been working just fine for a few years. Been on FTTC
    > via Zen for about a year with no problems, then about Sunday/Monday I
    > got a call at work from Debs mobile saying the phones weren't working.
    > Hmmm. Logged on to the box over VPN and checked all settings. All seemed
    > fine well they should have been as I hadn't touched anything.
    > Pretty sure I hadn't fiddled with the router (Draytek 2920n on the
    > weekend either) The gigaset box has web access as it's got the weather
    > on the display plus I can log into it from local and VPN.
    >
    > So I disabled all firewall rules on router, disabled all DoS rules. even
    > changed DNS from open DNS to ZEN's DNS as I have known Open DNS'
    > clueless (upaid) clasifiers classify VOIPfone server as a "webmail"
    > server which knocked it out once before. Still no joy. No accounts are
    > registering. Voipfone, several betamax accounts and a couple of sipgate
    > accounts.
    >
    > This is really got me stumped. I've disconnected all voip accounts and
    > tried enabling them individually but they all still refuse to register.
    >
    > Only thing left to try is temporarily setting gigaset box as DMZ to
    > completely eliminate any router rules.. After that I'm snookered.
    >
    > Any other ideas?
    > Cheers
    > Pete

    What firmware is the Debs 2920 running? My Gigaset N300A IP worked fine
    while my Vigor 2920 ran firmware version 3.3.7.1 but VOIP registrations
    became flakey and intermittent after I upgraded it to 3.6.0 so I wound it
    back to 3.3.7.1 where it contentedly still remains. I don't believe I ever
    tried v3.6.1 because its release notes did not mention anything about VOIP
    issues or fixes.
    Anthony R. Gold, Nov 29, 2012

  2. On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 12:16:38 +0000, "Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)"
    <> wrote:

    > On 29/11/2012 04:47, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
    >
    >> What firmware is the Debs 2920 running? My Gigaset N300A IP worked fine
    >> while my Vigor 2920 ran firmware version 3.3.7.1 but VOIP registrations
    >> became flakey and intermittent after I upgraded it to 3.6.0 so I wound it
    >> back to 3.3.7.1 where it contentedly still remains. I don't believe I ever
    >> tried v3.6.1 because its release notes did not mention anything about VOIP
    >> issues or fixes.

    > Thanks Anthony,
    > I did indeed upgrade the firmware a while back to 3.6.1
    > I'm pretty sure I have a copy of the previous firmware somewhere.
    > I'll try that as a first option later tonight.
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestion.
    > I'll let you know how it goes.
    >
    > Cheers
    > Pete

    I'll be happy to email you Vigor2920_v3.3.6.1.zip if that helps and if your
    email service will allow a message of 9MB + encoding overhead.
    Anthony R. Gold, Nov 29, 2012

  3. On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 07:37:48 -0500, "Anthony R. Gold"
    <> wrote:

    > I'll be happy to email you Vigor2920_v3.3.6.1.zip if that helps and if your
    > email service will allow a message of 9MB + encoding overhead.

    Oops, make that Vigor2920_v3.3.7.1.zip and 9.5MB + overhead. My archives go
    back to 3.3.2.3.
    Anthony R. Gold, Nov 29, 2012
  4. On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 13:41:21 +0000, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    <> wrote:

    > On 29/11/2012 12:53, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
    >> On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 07:37:48 -0500, "Anthony R. Gold"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'll be happy to email you Vigor2920_v3.3.6.1.zip if that helps and if your
    >>> email service will allow a message of 9MB + encoding overhead.

    >> Oops, make that Vigor2920_v3.3.7.1.zip and 9.5MB + overhead. My archives go
    >> back to 3.3.2.3.

    > Thanks Anthony.
    > I wound it back a version 3371 just before I left home. Though a quick
    > re-boot of everything didn't see any greater joy.
    >
    > Just logged in from work over VPN and it's still showing "server not
    > accessible" for all accounts.
    >
    > Hey ho. I'll continue to twiddle and fiddle. I'm sure I've got an older
    > config back-up file I can roll the router back to when I know it was
    > working 100% Will do that tonight
    >
    > Thanks all for input so-far. I bet I've just done something really
    > stupid on the weekend and forgotten about it though. Time will tell...
    > :¬)

    Good luck.

    I made no configuration settings to any of my Draytek routers to address
    VOIP working. I use 2820, 2920 and 2130 is different places and each with a
    Gigaset C610A IP or N300A IP. They just worked (except for the 2920 using
    v3.6 firmware.) If you figure anything out please say, because that may help
    me upgrade my 2920 to more modern firmware.
    Anthony R. Gold, Nov 29, 2012
  5. On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 13:41:21 +0000, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    <> wrote:

    > On 29/11/2012 12:53, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
    >> On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 07:37:48 -0500, "Anthony R. Gold"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'll be happy to email you Vigor2920_v3.3.6.1.zip if that helps and if your
    >>> email service will allow a message of 9MB + encoding overhead.

    >> Oops, make that Vigor2920_v3.3.7.1.zip and 9.5MB + overhead. My archives go
    >> back to 3.3.2.3.

    > Thanks Anthony.
    > I wound it back a version 3371 just before I left home. Though a quick
    > re-boot of everything didn't see any greater joy.
    >
    > Just logged in from work over VPN and it's still showing "server not
    > accessible" for all accounts.
    >
    > Hey ho. I'll continue to twiddle and fiddle. I'm sure I've got an older
    > config back-up file I can roll the router back to when I know it was
    > working 100% Will do that tonight
    >
    > Thanks all for input so-far. I bet I've just done something really
    > stupid on the weekend and forgotten about it though. Time will tell...
    > :¬)

    I see Draytek has deployed firmware v3.6.3 for the Vigor 2920. I'm around
    5,000 miles from my London 2920 and so won't be able to try it for a few
    weeks, but it certainly sounds worthwhile testing.
    Anthony R. Gold, Dec 23, 2012
  6. On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 11:29:11 +0000, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    <> wrote:

    > On 28/12/2012 18:13, "Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote:
    >
    >> Ah... There's a huge list of things that have been "corrected"
    >> I'll give it a go shortly and see if the phone keeps working as it should.

    > It's been running now for nearly 5 days an so far the phones are still
    > registering and working fine. Even the QOS seems to be working as it
    > should. Time will tell though.

    Thank. I will have the opportunity to try it out later this month.
    Anthony R. Gold, Jan 2, 2013
  7. On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 07:25:23 -0500, "Anthony R. Gold"
    <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 11:29:11 +0000, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 28/12/2012 18:13, "Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ah... There's a huge list of things that have been "corrected"
    >>> I'll give it a go shortly and see if the phone keeps working as it should.

    >> It's been running now for nearly 5 days an so far the phones are still
    >> registering and working fine. Even the QOS seems to be working as it
    >> should. Time will tell though.

    > Thank. I will have the opportunity to try it out later this month.

    I am back from the sub-tropics to snowy London today!

    I upgraded my Vigor 2920 to v3.6.3 and found failures in all the VOIP
    provider registrations. I then opened the 2920 on both its WANs for incoming
    UDP:5060 directed towards the LAN address of my Gigaset N300A IP and now all
    appears to be well.
    Anthony R. Gold, Jan 19, 2013
  8. On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 18:35:45 +0000, "Anthony R. Gold"
    <> wrote:

    > I upgraded my Vigor 2920 to v3.6.3 and found failures in all the VOIP
    > provider registrations. I then opened the 2920 on both its WANs for incoming
    > UDP:5060 directed towards the LAN address of my Gigaset N300A IP and now all
    > appears to be well.

    v3.6.3 proved not to be well and the Gigaset's SIP registrations not stable.
    So I've wound the Vigor 2920 back to v3.3.7.1 which is totally reliable.
    Anthony R. Gold, Jan 20, 2013
  9. On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 10:13:50 +0000, "Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬)"
    <> wrote:

    > On 20/01/2013 12:11, Anthony R. Gold wrote:
    >> On Sat, 19 Jan 2013 18:35:45 +0000, "Anthony R. Gold"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I upgraded my Vigor 2920 to v3.6.3 and found failures in all the VOIP
    >>> provider registrations. I then opened the 2920 on both its WANs for incoming
    >>> UDP:5060 directed towards the LAN address of my Gigaset N300A IP and now all
    >>> appears to be well.

    >> v3.6.3 proved not to be well and the Gigaset's SIP registrations not stable.
    >> So I've wound the Vigor 2920 back to v3.3.7.1 which is totally reliable.

    > Just double checked my gigaset box.
    > 5 out of 6 accounts are registered. Sipgate, voipfone, smslisto,
    > voipcheap.co.uk, smartvoip. Even gigaset.net is working. The only one
    > that doesn't register is one I played with a long time ago and it didn't
    > work on old firmware UKDD
    > No problem calling in or out so it's good for me. Thanks for feedback
    > Anthony.

    From time to time all the providers did register, but it was just not
    sufficiently reliable - I am 100% dependent on VOIP for all this property's
    incoming calls.

    Did you make any particular configuration adjustments?

    Under QoS I had checked the box to give priority to VOIP and I also opened
    the router towards the Gigaset for incoming UDP:5060 just in case some
    router glitch caused incoming packets to be unmatched to correct sessions.
    Is there any settings that you find useful, Pete?
    Anthony R. Gold, Jan 21, 2013