Re: Gigaset firmware update. (S685ip)

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Graham., Nov 12, 2009.

  1. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    :

    >> Just realised I've been using voipfone.co.uk for 3 years for inbound
    >> calls. Doesn't time fly.

    > Arghhhhhh While printing of some voipfone invoices I found the following
    > on their forum:
    >
    > "Siemens Firmware Upgrade, DON'T Update
    > We've had a number of calls today from Siemens phone users having issues
    > today since upgrading the firmware on their phone.
    >
    > If you see your phone pop up showing a request to update, please don't
    > upgrade the firmware at this stage"
    >
    > Ho Hum... time will tell.
    > Bugger bugger bugger.

    I know the feeling!
    I got a Thompson router do go with my new BE ADSL2+ connection.
    It was all preconfigured, but there was a note in the box that said "Stop.
    Put the supplied CD in before connecting the BeBox.

    Well I couldn't find a slot wide enough to take the CD on the router itself,
    so I wondered if they meant me to put it in one of my computers, so against
    my better judgement I put it in my laptop. The first thing it wanted to do is to replace
    the routers firmware, not something I would have chosen to do without
    consideration. The first attempt seemed to fail, which was a bit of a worry,
    the second attempt succeeded however.

    I had a look through the Thompson's web config options and was left
    a bit underwhelmed, and made the decision that my trusty Netgear DG834PN
    with the latest firmware might be a better option so I re-connected that, only
    to find that my laptop now refused to play at Internet.

    *The blankety-blank CD config had only secretly changed my LAN settings
    from DHCP to a static one of 192.168.1.x *

    They must actually like the average users calling their support line with
    "Since we got BE I can't use my laptop in Maccy Ds"
    (That's Mancunian for Mc Donald's)

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%