    you zoom in would probably be how many saw it in the original theatrical run.

    Aspect ratios are never perfectly presented in theatres for a variety of
    reasons that are too boring to go into, and this is especially true of 1.66.
    DRutsala, Jul 5, 2003

  2. On 05 Jul 2003 10:39:51 GMT, (DRutsala) wrote:

    >I think it's worthy of note that the slight cropping you would have on Giant if
    >you zoom in would probably be how many saw it in the original theatrical run.
    >
    >Aspect ratios are never perfectly presented in theatres for a variety of
    >reasons that are too boring to go into, and this is especially true of 1.66.

    Don't confuse "are" with "were" -- that is, don't compare today's
    multiplex with the kid who sweeps up turning on the projector and then
    going back to sweeping up, with the days when theatres had one screen
    and a trained union projectionist with some pride in his work

    Giant was a large, prestige production from a major studio -- in 1956,
    one can say with reasonable certainty that in first run theatres in
    major centres, it probably WAS presented in the proper aspect ratio.
    That was the projectionist's JOB. (Actually, an old school
    projectionist who trained me back in the 1970s told me that "the
    projectionist's job is not to let people know he's there")

    John Harkness
    John Harkness, Jul 5, 2003