Re: GH2 versus D7000, which do you think would "win?"

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Dyer-Bennet, Apr 1, 2011.

  1. On Thursday, March 31, 2011 7:11:29 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
    > David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote:

    > >> Not really. If the GH2 wins (or maybe anyway) I'd just sell the D7000
    > >> and get the GH2, like I originally planned. I have no brand loyalties..

    > >You will have! After you've bought your first few thousands of
    > >dollars of lenses :). Well, perhaps not actual loyalties; but at
    > >least strong reasons to want to stay within a lens family.

    > > I do agree with the general analysis of the advantages and
    > > disadvantages of those two types of cameras. For action, a good
    > > DSLR is a big win over anything using contrast-detect auto-focus
    > > off the main sensor.

    > When it comes to single shot AF, the GH2 is as fast and accurate as
    > any consumer-grade DSLR, and a lot faster than some. The Panasonic
    > GH2 camera is a game changer, because it gives similar AF performance
    > to some of the best DSLRs.
    >
    > That's a first for contrast-detect AF, but over the next couple of
    > years the new technology will become much more widely available, and
    > not just in the Panasonic range.

    Improvements in that technology are always appreciated :).

    I don't know how much less good something like a D5000 is compared to
    my D700, or how much better the GH2 is than a Panasonic LX3 or an
    Olympus EPL2. But there's sure as heck a huge difference between the
    D700 and the LX3. Like, the D700 focuses quickly and reliably by
    bonfire light, whereas the LX3...doesn't.

    I saw an article that somebody had integrated phase-detect sensors (or
    at least one of them) onto a sensor chip, so they could offer
    phase-detect AF at least at the center point of a mirrorless camera.
    Not sure it has reached market anywhere yet, but that's another
    interesting idea

    > I am not prepared to make similar claims for the GH2's AF performance
    > with moving subjects because tests tend to be more subjective and
    > therefore less reliable. However, my subjective opinion is that it is
    > no slouch.
    >
    > Also, don't forget that contrast-detect AF tends to be much more
    > accurate than phase-detect AF because inaccuracies with front and back
    > focus are eliminated.

    Also any "alignment" issues; the data comes from the main sensor, so
    whatever the software controlling focus sees there really IS what will
    be recorded in the end. Whereas the extra mini-mirrors on the back of the
    big mirror that direct the light to the phase-detect cells in a DSLR can
    all be slightly not-quite-right which can result in focus errors.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Apr 1, 2011