Re: Getting youtube

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Geopelia, Jul 18, 2008.

  1. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "waituke" <> wrote in message
    news:eek:...
    > If you are using vista and Internet explorer. That may be your
    > problem. I cannot get youtube using internet explorer but have no
    > problems with Firefox 3
    > Ciao
    > waituke

    No, I have XP and Internet Explorer 6 I got a message a few days ago about
    a missing video feed, but I only saw that once so think it may have been a
    temporary problem.
    I don't know how to check if the feed is there now.

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jul 18, 2008

  2. In message <g5p5lj$g65$>, Geopelia wrote:

    > ...I have ... Internet Explorer 6

    Why are you still using IE6?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 18, 2008

  3. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    > In message <g5p5lj$g65$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> ...I have ... Internet Explorer 6

    > Why are you still using IE6?

    I think I've got IE7. I have Outlook Express 6.

    I had a look at the control panel, and My Computer, but couldn't find which
    it was.

    But Java is on the control panel, so it looks as if I have already got it
    installed.
    So why doesn't youtube work?

    It's a mystery to me.

    Thank you.
    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jul 18, 2008
  4. In article <g5q19n$os3$>, Geopelia did write:

    >> In message <g5p5lj$g65$>, Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >>> ...I have ... Internet Explorer 6

    >> Why are you still using IE6?

    > I think I've got IE7.

    OK, that's better. Though you may like to give Firefox a try.

    > But Java is on the control panel, so it looks as if I have already got it
    > installed.
    > So why doesn't youtube work?
    >
    > It's a mystery to me.

    I'm pretty sure you don't need Java for YouTube, just a reasonably recent
    version of Flash. What about other Flash-intensive sites--do they work?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 19, 2008
  5. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <g5q19n$os3$>, Geopelia did write:

    >>> Why are you still using IE6?

    >> I think I've got IE7.

    > OK, that's better. Though you may like to give Firefox a try.
    >
    >> But Java is on the control panel, so it looks as if I have already got it
    >> installed.
    >> So why doesn't youtube work?
    >>
    >> It's a mystery to me.

    > I'm pretty sure you don't need Java for YouTube, just a reasonably recent
    > version of Flash. What about other Flash-intensive sites--do they work?

    You do need Java*Script* though. The OP is confused.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    "I LOVE IT!!" - someone on a newsgroup, somewhere.

    Enkidu, Jul 19, 2008
  6. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In article <g5q19n$os3$>, Geopelia did write:
    >>
    >>> "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    >>> message

    >>> I think I've got IE7.

    >> OK, that's better. Though you may like to give Firefox a try.
    >>
    >>> But Java is on the control panel, so it looks as if I have already got
    >>> it
    >>> installed.
    >>> So why doesn't youtube work?
    >>>
    >>> It's a mystery to me.

    >> I'm pretty sure you don't need Java for YouTube, just a reasonably recent
    >> version of Flash. What about other Flash-intensive sites--do they work?
    > >

    > You do need Java*Script* though. The OP is confused.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff
    >
    > --

    Confused? I barely know my mouse from my modem. That's why I ask the kind
    folks here to help me.

    What other Flash-intensive sites would I have? I can't see anything on All
    Programs from the Start menu, or in the control panel.
    I've got Adobe Flash Player 9.0.124.0 Is there something there I ought to
    click?

    Thank you

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jul 19, 2008
  7. In article <g5rqsc$fnc$>, Geopelia did write:

    > What other Flash-intensive sites would I have?

    Another video site I know of is metacafe.com. Also there are some ad-laden
    sites I visit, but I'm not sure I should inflict those on you. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 19, 2008
  8. Geopelia

    Richard Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <g5rqsc$fnc$>, Geopelia did write:
    >
    >> What other Flash-intensive sites would I have?

    > Another video site I know of is metacafe.com. Also there are some ad-laden
    > sites I visit, but I'm not sure I should inflict those on you. :)

    vimeo.com is the best video site I have found sofar, they recomress
    things so they are actually watchable, and support 16:9 - unlike youtube
    who are really stuck in the past with their offerings.

    oh, and vimeos player will fullscreen when embedded, unlike youtube.

    Richard, Jul 19, 2008