Re: Getting ready for the A+ exams

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Tony Sivori, Jun 25, 2003.

  1. Tony Sivori

    Tony Sivori Guest

    rock wrote:
    > Greetings all,
    > I also have been building and programming computers for a very long
    > time, but i am new to the a+ scene, though my little brother has been
    > nagging me for years to get certified,(he is certified up the
    > ying/yang), so i got the book for a+ certifications, all in one
    > version, and have been studying for 6 months........
    > Here is the thing, i have never been good under stress in a test
    > taking enviornment, and am nervous about how many prople will be
    > there.
    > I do well with the practice tests here in my home, usually 850 to 900,
    > and i am confident i can pass the tests, but distractions kill me,

    I know what you mean. I can't stand to try to study with the radio or tv on,
    and sudden noises like honking horns are very annoying.

    The test area itself should be quiet. I took the test at a Prometric
    location, and the testing areas were quiet rooms with cubicles. There were
    written rules against talking and, get this, screaming. :) You might
    ask when you make your appointment, if the test area is distraction free and
    quiet.

    > does anyone have any suggestions to help me whet i go take the tests?

    Arrive a half hour early, stay out in the parking lot and review your notes
    on rote memorization stuff like IRQs and memory addresses. The take a deep
    breath or two, really, it does help. But don't hyperventilate. :)
    Then tell yourself that you do this every day, so today is noting special. I
    don't know why such a transparent lie helps, but it does help me.

    Once you're beginning the test, forget about it being a timed test. Take
    your time, and read each question at least three times to make sure you
    didn't skip over some vital word like "not". Some of the questions are
    ridiculously easy. Others you'll want to take your time and think about it
    for a minute or two. The time left does count down on the test screen, so it
    is not much trouble to gauge how long to give a difficult question before
    it's time to take your best guess and move on.

    But really, if you know the material and have bothered to learn the areas
    you did not already know from experience (for instance, when I took the test
    I had built quite a few PCs, but had never touched a laser printer) I'd say
    the big challenge is not passing but getting a high score. Say above 950 or
    even above 1000.

    --
    Tony Sivori

    Tony Sivori, Jun 25, 2003

  2. Tony Sivori

    Firebird81 Guest

    You'll likely be alone at a computer taking the test. Use Prometric cuz you
    never know where you'll end up. I took mine at a helicopter launching pad in
    Costa Mesa, Ca.

    Firebird81, Jun 25, 2003

  3. Tony Sivori

    Tony Sivori Guest

    Firebird81 wrote:
    > You'll likely be alone at a computer taking the test. Use Prometric cuz
    > you never know where you'll end up. I took mine at a helicopter launching
    > pad in Costa Mesa, Ca.

    I recall reading your post with considerable interest and some amusement,
    but I don't think your experience was typical of most A+ testing locations.
    But with your experience in mind, that was why I suggested that when
    scheduling the test the original poster actually ask if the test taking area
    is quiet and free of distractions.

    --
    Tony Sivori

    Tony Sivori, Jun 25, 2003