    Annika1980 Guest

    Looks pretty good. What's with the "triple-redundant" power supply?
    Does it have 3 plugs?
    Annika1980, Aug 12, 2009

  2. Annika1980

    Eric Stevens Guest

    On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 00:32:35 -0400, "Larry Thong"
    <> wrote:

    >Annika1980 wrote:
    >
    >> Looks pretty good. What's with the "triple-redundant" power supply?
    >> Does it have 3 plugs?

    >Yep, three seperate power plugs. This is on the work bench right now for
    >its "burn-in" and these are my everyday crap cords. I do have some good
    >looking right angle cords that will be plugged into the UPS from this box.
    >The "triple-redundant" PS is a great feature should one take a shit it will
    >beep and let you know which one so that you can slide it out and put another
    >in without turning the system off. This PS will really shine when I have
    >the SAS RAID array spinning with 15K RPM drives. I can't wait to do some
    >video editing!
    >
    ><http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/743/SC743TQ-R760.cfm>

    You've got so many fans on that rig that I think your biggest danger
    is a birdstrike!

    Eric Stevens
    Eric Stevens, Aug 12, 2009

  3. "Larry Thong" <> wrote in message
    > George Kerby wrote:
    >
    >>> Looks pretty good. What's with the "triple-redundant" power supply?
    >>> Does it have 3 plugs?

    >> Don't know, but it's got more fans than a commercial convection oven.

    > Fans are good!!!

    Does it sound like a Dell 2900 when it starts up?
    Martin Riddle, Aug 14, 2009

  4. >
    >> Looks pretty good. What's with the "triple-redundant" power supply?
    >> Does it have 3 plugs?

    > Yep, three seperate power plugs. This is on the work bench right now for
    > its "burn-in" and these are my everyday crap cords. I do have some good
    > looking right angle cords that will be plugged into the UPS from this box.
    > The "triple-redundant" PS is a great feature should one take a shit it will
    > beep and let you know which one so that you can slide it out and put another
    > in without turning the system off. This PS will really shine when I have
    > the SAS RAID array spinning with 15K RPM drives. I can't wait to do some
    > video editing!
    >
    > <http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/743/SC743TQ-R760.cfm>

    And a single point of failure, the UPS. Ideally, you would feed 3 phase to 3
    UPSs and each PS would be on a different leg. Most (including myself) are
    content with dual PS systems and feeding 2 UPSs, one on each leg.

    Erie
    erie patsellis, Aug 24, 2009
  5. Annika1980

    John Turco Guest

    Larry Thong wrote:

    > erie patsellis wrote:
    >
    > >> <http://www.supermicro.com/products/chassis/4U/743/SC743TQ-R760.cfm>
    > >>

    > > And a single point of failure, the UPS. Ideally, you would feed 3
    > > phase to 3 UPSs and each PS would be on a different leg. Most
    > > (including myself) are content with dual PS systems and feeding 2
    > > UPSs, one on each leg.

    > Or just get one good UPS. Trust me, I'm not the slightest bit concerned
    > about UPS failure. The old homestead has generator backup and the UPS for
    > the IT stuff spits out 5KVA and could run for three days on a single charge.
    > A bit overkill since the only purpose is to prevent the "blip" when the
    > genny kicks on. No worries, mate!

    By chance, I've been mulling the purchase of a Tripp Lite "INTERNET900U"
    (480 watts) UPS, lately. What really impresses me, is that it features
    a whopping 12 AC outlets (6 battery-supported, 6 surge suppression-only).

    Exhaustive Google searches have failed to reveal any other manufacturer's
    UPSes, so well endowed. My current APC "Back-UPS LS 700VA" (BP700UC) is
    410w and has "just" 7 outlets (4 battery and 3 surge); I bought it, in
    May of 2002.

    What are your opinions of Tripp Lite, in general and the INTERNET900U,
    particularly? I could barely find three customer reviews of this device,
    and they were mixed. It's nice and compact and is a paltry 8.7 lbs,
    but...it seems to me, the relative diminutiveness and light weight of
    its lead-acid battery, might incur amperage and/or run-time issues?

    INTERNET900U - Internet Office UPS System - All-in-One SOHO solution
    <http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtSeriesID=669&txtModelID=3657>

    Thanks, for any advice!

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    Paintings Pain and Pun <http://laughatthepain.blogspot.com>
    John Turco, Aug 27, 2009
  6. Annika1980

    John Turco Guest

    Larry Thong wrote:

    > John Turco wrote:
    >
    > > What are your opinions of Tripp Lite, in general and the INTERNET900U,
    > > particularly? I could barely find three customer reviews of this
    > > device, and they were mixed. It's nice and compact and is a paltry
    > > 8.7 lbs, but...it seems to me, the relative diminutiveness and light
    > > weight of its lead-acid battery, might incur amperage and/or run-time
    > > issues?

    > The short answer is stick with APC. Both brands work, but APC has better QA
    > and build quality. Both will sacrifice their lives when something super
    > nasty comes down the line. My money is on APC for better protection as the
    > MOVs in the surge protection section are a bit heavier and can really clamp
    > down when you need them the most.
    >
    > Either one is better than no UPS at all. It all comes down to personal
    > choice and which one offers the features you find important.

    Okay, I'll probably go with the INTERNET900U, if I do buy another UPS.
    I used a Tripp Lite "BC 450 Internet" (450VA, 280 watts) for about five
    years, before replacing it with an APC BP700UC (700VA, 410w). It worked
    fine, but, only has four AC outlets (3 backup, 1 surge).

    Still have the BC 450, in fact; it's needed a new battery, for a long
    time, now. Alas, it's not easily replaceable...I might, yet, open up
    the UPS case and pop in a new one, someday.

    John Turco, Aug 31, 2009