Re: Getting Beaten Black And Blue To The EXTREME With The i7!!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ray Fischer, Sep 8, 2009.

  1. Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Larry Thong <> wrote:
    >Alan Browne wrote:
    >> I'll go with BluRay for backup when they come out in archival media
    >> (aka: "gold" disks), preferably dual layer (~50GB).

    >So, you're waiting too? Plus, optical media really isn't a reliable backup
    >strategy.

    Waiting for new technology before you do your backup is a good way to
    lose your data.

    When CDs first came out they were supposed to be the solution for
    backups. 40GB onto 600MB disks was manageable, Now it's DL DVD at
    8GB to back up a 500GB disk. Soon it will be 50GB BR disks to back up
    2TB drives.

    What doesn't change is that it's always a pain in the ass to use 20 to
    40 disks to do a backup. And that a backup that is a pain in the ass
    to do probably won't get done.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Sep 8, 2009

  2. Larry Thong wrote:
    > Ray Fischer wrote:
    >
    >> Waiting for new technology before you do your backup is a good way to
    >> lose your data.

    > Agreed! All my data is safe.
    >
    >> When CDs first came out they were supposed to be the solution for
    >> backups. 40GB onto 600MB disks was manageable, Now it's DL DVD at
    >> 8GB to back up a 500GB disk. Soon it will be 50GB BR disks to back up
    >> 2TB drives.

    > I don't understand why someone would put themselves through that misery?
    >
    >> What doesn't change is that it's always a pain in the ass to use 20 to
    >> 40 disks to do a backup. And that a backup that is a pain in the ass
    >> to do probably won't get done.

    > Optical has always been a pain in the ass and expensive. Plus, you are
    > susceptible to getting coasters. Doing the math always shows HD or magnetic
    > tape storage the best way to go. A top-end Blu-Ray burner is going to cost
    > $119, a 10-pack of discs $28 for a total of 250GB of storage provided you
    > don't get coasters. Compare that to a factory sealed 1TB SATA drive for
    > $49. You get all that high-speed storage that can be reused over and over
    > again. Tell me again who uses optical for backups?

    Troglodytes!

    :)

    With many good exceptions, such as those who don't create
    crates/barrels/reams/gigabytes of digital images or video, and who have
    the hardware to create DVDs painlessly and redundantly.

    --

    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Sep 8, 2009

  3. Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Larry Thong <> wrote:
    >Ray Fischer wrote:
    >
    >> Waiting for new technology before you do your backup is a good way to
    >> lose your data.

    >Agreed! All my data is safe.
    >
    >> When CDs first came out they were supposed to be the solution for
    >> backups. 40GB onto 600MB disks was manageable, Now it's DL DVD at
    >> 8GB to back up a 500GB disk. Soon it will be 50GB BR disks to back up
    >> 2TB drives.

    >I don't understand why someone would put themselves through that misery?

    Neither do I.

    >> What doesn't change is that it's always a pain in the ass to use 20 to
    >> 40 disks to do a backup. And that a backup that is a pain in the ass
    >> to do probably won't get done.

    >Optical has always been a pain in the ass and expensive. Plus, you are
    >susceptible to getting coasters. Doing the math always shows HD or magnetic
    >tape storage the best way to go. A top-end Blu-Ray burner is going to cost
    >$119, a 10-pack of discs $28 for a total of 250GB of storage provided you
    >don't get coasters. Compare that to a factory sealed 1TB SATA drive for
    >$49. You get all that high-speed storage that can be reused over and over
    >again. Tell me again who uses optical for backups?

    I understand the appeal of using a passive storage medium that isn't
    subject to the whims of static electricity, but optical media are
    still not quite the solution.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Sep 8, 2009
  4. Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer Guest

    John McWilliams <> wrote:
    >Larry Thong wrote:
    >> Ray Fischer wrote:
    >>
    >>> Waiting for new technology before you do your backup is a good way to
    >>> lose your data.

    >> Agreed! All my data is safe.
    >>
    >>> When CDs first came out they were supposed to be the solution for
    >>> backups. 40GB onto 600MB disks was manageable, Now it's DL DVD at
    >>> 8GB to back up a 500GB disk. Soon it will be 50GB BR disks to back up
    >>> 2TB drives.

    >> I don't understand why someone would put themselves through that misery?
    >>
    >>> What doesn't change is that it's always a pain in the ass to use 20 to
    >>> 40 disks to do a backup. And that a backup that is a pain in the ass
    >>> to do probably won't get done.

    >> Optical has always been a pain in the ass and expensive. Plus, you are
    >> susceptible to getting coasters. Doing the math always shows HD or magnetic
    >> tape storage the best way to go. A top-end Blu-Ray burner is going to cost
    >> $119, a 10-pack of discs $28 for a total of 250GB of storage provided you
    >> don't get coasters. Compare that to a factory sealed 1TB SATA drive for
    >> $49. You get all that high-speed storage that can be reused over and over
    >> again. Tell me again who uses optical for backups?

    >Troglodytes!
    >
    >:)
    >
    >With many good exceptions, such as those who don't create
    >crates/barrels/reams/gigabytes of digital images or video, and who have
    >the hardware to create DVDs painlessly and redundantly.

    Shrug. I take photos and videos. I like to keep backups.
    Optical media don't work for me.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Sep 8, 2009