Re: Geotags

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by gpsman, Jun 24, 2012.

  1. gpsman

    gpsman Guest

    On Jun 23, 12:06 pm, SI Committee <shootinpho...@StopThatMan-
    gmail.com> wrote:
    > Files that contain geotags will be posted to Panoramio

    For those with no GPS camera function LAT/LONG can be determined with
    Google Maps by clicking on Map Labs at the bottom of the L pane and
    enabling the "LatLng Marker" function:

    "Adds an option to the context menu that lets you drop a mini marker
    showing the latlng of the position that the cursor was pointing at
    when the context menu was evoked"

    R click > Drop LatLng Marker. Highlight the LAT/LONG; copy by
    keyboard shortcut (Ctrl + C).

    Satellite view (zoomed in all the way) of course offers the best
    accuracy.
    -----

    - gpsman

    gpsman, Jun 24, 2012

  2. gpsman

    RichA Guest

    On Jun 24, 10:48 am, gpsman <> wrote:
    > On Jun 23, 12:06 pm, SI Committee <shootinpho...@StopThatMan-
    >
    > gmail.com> wrote:
    > > Files that contain geotags will be posted to Panoramio

    > For those with no GPS camera function LAT/LONG can be determined with
    > Google Maps by clicking on Map Labs at the bottom of the L pane and
    > enabling the "LatLng Marker" function:

    I'm wondering why the exact location of an image is needed? Do the
    viewers intend to go there and replicate the photo?
    It seems more like some geek, addicted to an iPhone or iPad would be
    attracted to something like that.
    How is anyone's life changed by saying, "Photo taken, Central Park,
    NY" or "photo taken at 41 deg, 24 mins latitude, etc?"

    RichA, Jun 26, 2012

  3. In rec.photo.digital RichA <> wrote:
    > On Jun 24, 10:48 am, gpsman <> wrote:
    >> On Jun 23, 12:06 pm, SI Committee <shootinpho...@StopThatMan-
    >>
    >> gmail.com> wrote:
    >> > Files that contain geotags will be posted to Panoramio

    >> For those with no GPS camera function LAT/LONG can be determined with
    >> Google Maps by clicking on Map Labs at the bottom of the L pane and
    >> enabling the "LatLng Marker" function:

    > I'm wondering why the exact location of an image is needed? Do the
    > viewers intend to go there and replicate the photo?
    > It seems more like some geek, addicted to an iPhone or iPad would be
    > attracted to something like that.
    > How is anyone's life changed by saying, "Photo taken, Central Park,
    > NY" or "photo taken at 41 deg, 24 mins latitude, etc?"

    One of the ways I've tried to improve my photography is by choosing a
    well known interesting view, building, etc., finding good photographs
    of it, going there and trying to take a better one, and then working
    out why it isn't :)

    Geotagged photo archives are very helpful for that kind of thing.

    No I don't have an iPhone or iPad, but I am a geek.

    --
    Chris Malcolm

    Chris Malcolm, Jun 26, 2012