Re: Geotags - examples

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by otter, Jul 6, 2012.

  1. otter

    otter Guest

    On Jul 5, 4:38 pm, SI Committee <>
    wrote:
    > As it turns out one of our shooters has been quietly geotagging some of
    > his SI photos for quite some time.  With that, the inauguration of the
    > Shootin Geo Tag page has retroactively begun.
    >
    > http://www.panoramio.com/user/7024030
    >
    > --
    > The Committee
    > Submit photos to:  shootinphotos AHT gmail DAHT com

    Do you accept general submissions for Panoramio, or do they have to be
    from submissions to a SI?
    otter, Jul 6, 2012

  2. otter

    gpsman Guest

    On Jul 6, 4:47 pm, SI Committee <>
    wrote:
    > On 2012-07-06 02:04 , otter wrote:
    >
    > > Do you accept general submissions for Panoramio, or do they have to be
    > > from submissions to a SI?

    > For that we suggest you set up your own Panoramio.
    >
    > To do that, if you haven't already done so, set up a gmail account.

    Panoramio does not require a gmail account.
    -----

    - gpsman
    gpsman, Jul 7, 2012

  3. otter

    gpsman Guest

    On Jul 7, 10:52 am, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:
    > On 2012-07-06 23:29 , gpsman wrote:
    >
    > > Panoramio does not require a gmail account.

    > True enough.  But for most people that would be the more convenient way
    > to use it.

    How does a gmail account make Panoramio more convenient to use...?
    -----

    - gpsman
    gpsman, Jul 7, 2012
  4. otter

    gpsman Guest

    On Jul 7, 11:41 am, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:
    > On 2012-07-07 11:37 , gpsman wrote:
    >
    > > On Jul 7, 10:52 am, Alan Browne <>
    > > wrote:

    > >> True enough.  But for most people that would be the more convenient way
    > >> to use it.

    > > How does a gmail account make Panoramio more convenient to use...?

    > I'd tell you to use your imagination but you've already trampled all
    > over that notion.

    Imagine those who don't know you don't know what the **** you're
    talking about.
    -----

    - gpsman
    gpsman, Jul 7, 2012
  5. otter

    gpsman Guest

    On Jul 7, 2:28 pm, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:
    > On 2012-07-07 14:19 , gpsman wrote:
    >

    > > On Jul 7, 11:41 am, Alan Browne <>
    > > wrote:

    > >> I'd tell you to use your imagination but you've already trampled all
    > >> over that notion.

    > > Imagine those who don't know you don't know what the **** you're
    > > talking about.

    > Imagine that you haven't spent enough time looking into it to know better..

    Let me Google that for you: http://bit.ly/NdcoXh
    -----

    - gpsman
    gpsman, Jul 7, 2012
  6. otter

    gpsman Guest

    On Jul 8, 10:06 am, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:
    > On 2012-07-07 15:31 , gpsman wrote:
    >

    > > On Jul 7, 2:28 pm, Alan Browne <>
    > > wrote:

    > >> Imagine that you haven't spent enough time looking into it to know better.

    > > Let me Google that for you:  http://bit.ly/NdcoXh

    > Which I didn't, don't need.

    Straw man. I couldn't care less about what -you- need, it
    substantiates you're full of shit for those who may wonder which of us
    knows what they are talking about.

    > The question was 'is it better to access
    > Pan with a gmail account' and it is.  For several reasons.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proof_by_assertion

    But Panoramio is keeping those several reasons a secret, but you found
    out, but you're not talking...?

    > And I'll
    > just let you continue searching.

    Because you're full of shit.

    What about those in the 4 groups to which you are posting that might
    not be so interweb savvy as yourself, **** 'em...?
    -----

    - gpsman
    gpsman, Jul 8, 2012
  7. otter

    otter Guest

    On Jul 6, 3:47 pm, SI Committee <>
    wrote:
    > On 2012-07-06 02:04 , otter wrote:
    >
    > > On Jul 5, 4:38 pm, SI Committee <>
    > > wrote:
    > >> As it turns out one of our shooters has been quietly geotagging some of
    > >> his SI photos for quite some time.  With that, the inauguration of the
    > >> Shootin Geo Tag page has retroactively begun.

    > >>http://www.panoramio.com/user/7024030

    > >> --
    > >> The Committee
    > >> Submit photos to:  shootinphotos AHT gmail DAHT com

    > > Do you accept general submissions for Panoramio, or do they have to be
    > > from submissions to a SI?

    > For that we suggest you set up your own Panoramio.

    I'll pass on that. Was just wondering if you wanted additional
    pictures to seed the Panoramio you are setting up. But I got my
    answer. It make sense to restrict it to just SI submissions.

    What about previous SI submissions that didn't include GPS data at the
    time, would you like some of those resubmitted with GPS data? Or
    don't bother about it?
    otter, Jul 8, 2012
  8. otter

    otter Guest

    On Jul 8, 3:31 pm, SI Committee <>
    wrote:
    > On 2012-07-08 15:44 , otter wrote:
    >
    > > What about previous SI submissions that didn't include GPS data at the
    > > time, would you like some of those resubmitted with GPS data?  Or
    > > don't bother about it?

    > The Committee's enthusiasm for it is tempered by the work that may be
    > involved.  But if there are some you have submitted to the SI that you'd
    > like retro-loaded to Panoramio:
    >
    > - e-mail us the photo WITH the geotag in it.  (address in sig).
    >
    >        -OR-
    >
    > - send a link to the photo on pbase
    > - along with the lat/long of where the shot was taken from
    >    (not the lat/long of the subject).
    >
    > And the data management sub-committee will put them up in good time.
    >
    > --
    > The Committee
    > Submit photos to:  shootinphotos AHT gmail DAHT com

    Ah, I may take the second route, and only for a few pictures. May
    take a few days to get to it.
    otter, Jul 9, 2012
  9. otter

    gpsman Guest

    On Jul 8, 4:40 pm, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:
    > On 2012-07-08 12:29 , gpsman wrote:
    > > What about those in the 4 groups to which you are posting that might
    > > not be so interweb savvy as yourself, **** 'em...?

    > There are only 2 people with an interest to date.  AFAICT, 'duck doesn't
    > have a Panoramio account and doesn't care to have one.  He's savvy
    > enough to figure out on his own what's best for him.  And per otter's
    > recent post he's even more ambivalent.

    False premise. Only 2 people have -expressed- an interest.

    Of the 4 groups to which you post may be readers intrigued by
    Panoramio and not interested in the SI.

    > You're obviously brilliant enough (you caught my earlier error which I
    > made no bones about) to figure the rest for yourself.  And if you don't
    > believe me you can just imagine how much I care.

    Idiots never care that they're idiots.

    Your "advice" is the equivalent of claiming IE is the best browser,
    for several reasons:

    1.

    2.

    3.

    4.

    You fall further afoul of sanity by asserting you know what is best or
    most convenient for most people, something you have no method of
    having determined.

    Your supply of smoke to blow up asses seems unlimited, though, so you
    got that going for you.
    -----

    - gpsman
    gpsman, Jul 9, 2012
  10. otter

    gpsman Guest

    On Jul 9, 4:40 pm, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:
    > On 2012-07-09 11:36 , gpsman wrote:
    >
    > > Idiots never care that they're idiots.

    > Lovely non-sequiter.  I guess your balls are swelling now.

    That's not a non sequitur, you can't even spell it.

    > > You fall further afoul of sanity by asserting you know what is best or

    > How does one "fall further afoul of sanity"?  Please elaborate.

    If I have to explain further, you wouldn't understand.

    Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2012 10:52:52 -0400
    From: Alan Browne <>
    Newsgroups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.
    35mm,rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
    Subject: Re: Geotags - examples

    "But for most people that would be the more convenient way"
    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.photo.equipment.35mm/msg/2f47af07940ac725?hl=en&dmode=source

    > > Your supply of smoke to blow up asses seems unlimited, though, so you
    > > got that going for you.

    > Your supply of frustration is actually worrying to me.  I suggest you
    > soon schedule a visit to your GP.   On that note, this is my last reply
    > to you.  I would feel badly if you caused yourself injury.

    Red herring.

    You started out as simply mistaken, and couldn't admit it...and
    couldn't shut the **** up.
    -----

    - gpsman
    gpsman, Jul 10, 2012
  11. otter

    otter Guest

    On Jul 9, 9:01 am, otter <> wrote:
    > On Jul 8, 3:31 pm, SI Committee <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > > On 2012-07-08 15:44 , otter wrote:

    > > > What about previous SI submissions that didn't include GPS data at the
    > > > time, would you like some of those resubmitted with GPS data?  Or
    > > > don't bother about it?

    > > The Committee's enthusiasm for it is tempered by the work that may be
    > > involved.  But if there are some you have submitted to the SI that you'd
    > > like retro-loaded to Panoramio:

    > > - e-mail us the photo WITH the geotag in it.  (address in sig).

    > >        -OR-

    > > - send a link to the photo on pbase
    > > - along with the lat/long of where the shot was taken from
    > >    (not the lat/long of the subject).

    > > And the data management sub-committee will put them up in good time.

    > > --
    > > The Committee
    > > Submit photos to:  shootinphotos AHT gmail DAHT com

    > Ah, I may take the second route, and only for a few pictures.  May
    > take a few days to get to it.

    Sent. Let me know if that doesn't work for you.
    otter, Jul 10, 2012
  12. otter

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/10/2012 4:43 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012-07-10 00:07 , otter wrote:
    >
    >> Sent. Let me know if that doesn't work for you.

    > Look fine. May be up by the time you read this at
    >
    > http://www.panoramio.com/user/7024030

    I think Otter's tree is superb. Looks like an in camera multiple exposure.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 11, 2012
  13. otter

    otter Guest

    On Jul 10, 6:58 pm, PeterN <> wrote:
    > On 7/10/2012 4:43 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
    >
    > > On 2012-07-10 00:07 , otter wrote:

    > >> Sent.  Let me know if that doesn't work for you.

    > > Look fine.  May be up by the time you read this at

    > >http://www.panoramio.com/user/7024030

    > I think Otter's tree is superb. Looks like an in camera multiple exposure..

    No, I did work on it a little in post (lightroom), but not much. Just
    toned down some parts that were blown out using recover. Maybe a few
    other things, but nothing like the kind of crap I try to pull these
    days. I was a lot more conservative then.
    otter, Jul 11, 2012
  14. otter

    otter Guest

    On Jul 10, 3:43 pm, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:
    > On 2012-07-10 00:07 , otter wrote:
    >
    > > Sent.  Let me know if that doesn't work for you.

    > Look fine.  May be up by the time you read this at
    >
    > http://www.panoramio.com/user/7024030
    >
    > --
    > "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    >              -Samuel Clemens.

    The Hamilton Pool shot is off by about 1000-1500 ft (should be more
    over to the right). Other than that, they all look correct. Hey,
    this is kinda cool!
    otter, Jul 11, 2012
  15. otter

    gpsman Guest

    On Jul 10, 5:04 pm, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:
    > On 2012-07-09 20:05 , gpsman wrote:
    > > On Jul 9, 4:40 pm, Alan Browne <>
    > > wrote:

    > >> Lovely non-sequiter.  I guess your balls are swelling now.

    > > That's not a non sequitur, you can't even spell it.

    > Oh now we're down to spelling errors on usenet!  You really do need a life!

    Yes, of course.

    Your spelling error punctuates your misuse of the term, otherwise I'd
    never have mentioned it.

    It is interesting to note your red herring tactic of latching onto my
    mention of your spelling error and completely ignored addressing that
    you have no idea of the meaning of non sequitur.

    I think you're further establishing that your ignorance knows no
    bounds.

    > I don't use a spell checker or latin very much at all.   Sue me.

    So you can't spell and don't avail yourself of a spell checker.
    There's a surprise.

    > >> How does one "fall further afoul of sanity"?  Please elaborate.

    > > If I have to explain further, you wouldn't understand.

    > Ah, you've realized it's complete nonsense.

    Ah, petitio principii. I'll bet that's still a devastating riposte to
    those in 2nd grade.

    > >> Tsk, tsk.   I only suggested it was "more convenient".  I never claimed
    > >> I know what is best for most people.

    > > "But for most people that would be the more convenient way"

    > Yes, that's called an opinion.

    Red herring. First it's called, "Yes, you did say that".

    Second, there's your problem, you don't know opinion from statement of
    fact.

    Either way you purport to know something you obviously have no method
    of learning.

    > (And you still haven't figured out 2 ways specific ways in which using
    > gmail as ones Panoramio account would be more convenient for most people
    > - or hey, in a fit of generosity I'll water that down to "many" people -
    > and that is a clue that even you should be able to grasp).

    Ah, the ol' "I know something you don't know" song.

    Imagine how effective that might be if there was a shred of evidence
    to support it!

    > >> Your supply of frustration is actually worrying to me.  I suggest you
    > >> soon schedule a visit to your GP.   On that note, this is my last reply
    > >> to you.  I would feel badly if you caused yourself injury.

    > > Red herring.

    > > You started out as simply mistaken, and couldn't admit it...and
    > > couldn't shut the **** up.

    > You're the one having a major diahrea attack.
    >
    > And you're still in the dark.

    You already used the "I know something you don't know" song.
    Unfortunately, you cannot disguise it's actually, "I imagine I know
    something...".

    > EOD for me.  Have the last word.

    Again?! OK, thanks.

    There's absolutely no reason to establish a gmail account to establish
    a Panoramio account, any valid email address will do.

    The purpose of Panoramio is to augment the usefulness of Google Earth,
    for Earth users. It couldn't be easier or more convenient to use for
    contributors.

    The only plausible reason for your reluctance to reveal your secrets
    is those secrets are entirely the product of your imagination.

    Thanks again for providing this generous opportunity to correct your
    misinformation.
    -----

    - gpsman
    gpsman, Jul 11, 2012
  16. otter

    otter Guest

    On Jul 11, 3:55 pm, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:
    > On 2012-07-10 22:55 , otter wrote:
    >

    > > On Jul 10, 3:43 pm, Alan Browne <>
    > > wrote:

    > >> Look fine.  May be up by the time you read this at

    > >>http://www.panoramio.com/user/7024030

    > >> --
    > >> "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    > >>               -Samuel Clemens.

    > > The Hamilton Pool shot is off by about 1000-1500 ft (should be more
    > > over to the right).  Other than that, they all look correct.  Hey,
    > > this is kinda cool!

    > I used the coordinates you sent.  I'll move it over to the west edge of
    > the feature.
    >
    > Yes, it is neat.  Maybe some of the naysayers will be as charmed.

    Thanks, that is actually pretty close to where the picture was taken.
    I didn't realize you could change the map type in GeoSetter, and all I
    saw was a big green area in street view, so I made a guess that the
    pool was close to label on the map, when it wasn't. Switching to
    satellite view showed the error of my ways. Hey, I'm on a learning
    curve here!
    otter, Jul 12, 2012
  17. otter

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/10/2012 10:52 PM, otter wrote:
    > On Jul 10, 6:58 pm, PeterN <> wrote:

    >>> Look fine. May be up by the time you read this at

    >>> http://www.panoramio.com/user/7024030

    >> I think Otter's tree is superb. Looks like an in camera multiple exposure.

    > No, I did work on it a little in post (lightroom), but not much. Just
    > toned down some parts that were blown out using recover. Maybe a few
    > other things, but nothing like the kind of crap I try to pull these
    > days. I was a lot more conservative then.

    I saw the ghostly tree trunks as a multiple exposure. They just don't
    look like light beams to me.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 12, 2012
  18. otter

    Joe Makowiec Guest

    On 12 Jul 2012 in rec.photo.digital.slr-systems, Alan Browne wrote:

    > If you're "logged in" (another advantage of a gmail account), while
    > in Google Maps, you can right click and "drop" a lat long marker at
    > a point of interest. Copy/paste the coordinates (which will also be
    > in the less messy DDD.DDDDD format).

    You don't need to be logged in to do this. Look at the bottom of the
    left-hand panel for "Maps Labs" in a barely readable font size. Clicking
    on this will open up a panel where you can select various less or more
    useful tools to use with Google Maps.

    --
    Joe Makowiec
    http://makowiec.org/
    Joe Makowiec, Jul 12, 2012
  19. otter

    otter Guest

    On Jul 12, 3:53 pm, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:
    > On 2012-07-11 23:49 , otter wrote:
    >
    > > On Jul 11, 3:55 pm, Alan Browne <>
    > >> I used the coordinates you sent.  I'll move it over to the west edgeof
    > >> the feature.

    > > Thanks, that is actually pretty close to where the picture was taken.
    > > I didn't realize you could change the map type in GeoSetter, and all I
    > > saw was a big green area in street view, so I made a guess that the
    > > pool was close to label on the map, when it wasn't.  Switching to
    > > satellite view showed the error of my ways.  Hey, I'm on a learning
    > > curve here!

    > If you're "logged in"  (another advantage of a gmail account), while in
    > Google Maps, you can right click and "drop" a lat long marker at a point
    > of interest.  Copy/paste the coordinates (which will also be in the less
    > messy DDD.DDDDD format).
    >
    > In Google Earth, you can drop a pin on a feature, then use "Get Info" to
    > get the coordinates.  A little messier as a procedure.
    >
    > --
    > "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    >              -Samuel Clemens.

    GeoSetter had everything needed, I just didn't know how to use it at
    the time (my first hour using the tool). I could have given you
    coordinates, too. It was just a random choice.
    otter, Jul 13, 2012