Re: Gentoo to Kubuntu experience

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rob S, Jan 27, 2007.

  1. Rob S

    Rob S Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > After a recent hard drive failure I needed to get my system back up and
    > running ASAP so I still work. I was running Gentoo, and will install this
    > again on my new workstation that I've ordered, but didn't want the time
    > delay of installing Gentoo on my current box (with a temporary root drive).
    > So I figured I'd giver Kubuntu a go. Here are my experiences:
    >
    > - the install was very easy. Everything was detected. The only issue was it
    > detected both network cards but activated the one the cable wasn't plugged
    > into, rather than the one it was. No problem - twas an easy fix.
    >
    > - installing new packages is a breeze. No harder or easier than with Gentoo.
    > It does seem that Gentoo has many more packages available, and that they
    > are kept more up to date.

    I find that surprising. Gentoo is an older distro, but with the rapid
    rise in popularity pf Ubuntu, I'd have thought the concomitant
    attraction of developers to the distro would have ensured a larger
    library of applications.

    > - even though there is a nice GUI for configuring multi-head setups, it
    > assumes dual head and doesn't handle a triple head setup at all. Getting
    > this working required manual tweaking of the xorg.conf file. Again, no big
    > deal.
    >
    > - performance wise it seems slower. More CPU is used when not doing much.
    > One application that seems much faster is the loading of Konqueror (I
    > presume there is some sort of precaching going on).

    From what I've read in many articles, Gentoo and Gentoo based distros
    run more efficiently than Debian and Debian based distros. Some of this
    efficiency is probably due to Gentoo requiring a very much hands-on
    experience in the installation process.

    > - I dislike the apparent lack of control - I like to know exactly what
    > updates are happening and prefer hand crafting configuration files myself
    > so I'm aware of all of the options, as well as new options.

    Ubuntu strives to be the first choice alternative to MS Windows, so it
    tries to make processes like installation and updates as easy and
    trouble-free as possible, requiring little of the new user beyond an
    ability to follow simple instructions.

    If you want more control of the installation, there is an "alternate"
    iso available which features a text installer giving much greater
    control over what and where applications are installed. This would have
    recognized both nics and queried which to use as primary.

    > Overall I like it and can see why other people do too. I'll be moving back
    > to Gentoo when my new computer arrives though.

    I'm thinking about changing to Gentoo, as my system is a bit low-end
    cpu-wise (Celeron 1.7 o/c to 1.98) so more efficient cpu utilization
    would be a benefit. Trouble is, I don't want to spend days or weeks
    setting it up. I've got a spare 15Gb partition, so I'm mulling over
    installing Sabayon in dual boot mode. Sabayon is Gentoo based, but with
    a simple gui installer (as well as gparted and demos of QuakeIV & Cold
    War). Trouble is, Sabayon is also trying to be all things for all
    people, and the iso bloats out to 3.2Gb. I hope it doesn't auto-load all
    sorts of unnecessary services and daemons, negating any efficiency
    gains from being Gentoo based. I've tried it as a live cd and also as a
    virtual machine (VMware and VirtualBox), but there is a performance hit
    using either method. I suppose I'll just have to install it and see what
    happens.

    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

    Beta. Software undergoes beta testing shortly before it's released. Beta
    is Latin for 'still doesn't work.'
    Rob S, Jan 27, 2007

  2. Rob S

    Enkidu Guest

    Rob S wrote:

    >> - performance wise it seems slower. More CPU is used when not doing much.
    >> One application that seems much faster is the loading of Konqueror (I
    >> presume there is some sort of precaching going on).
    >>

    > From what I've read in many articles, Gentoo and Gentoo based distros
    > run more efficiently than Debian and Debian based distros. Some of this
    > efficiency is probably due to Gentoo requiring a very much hands-on
    > experience in the installation process.

    I don't believe that the efficiency gains are that big, and generally
    stem from the reduced amount of stuff that runs, and not from the fact
    that everything is compiled.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?
    Enkidu, Jan 27, 2007

  3. Rob S

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > Rob S wrote:
    >>>
    >>> - performance wise it seems slower. More CPU is used when not doing
    >>> much.
    >>> One application that seems much faster is the loading of Konqueror (I
    >>> presume there is some sort of precaching going on).
    >>>

    >> From what I've read in many articles, Gentoo and Gentoo based distros
    >> run more efficiently than Debian and Debian based distros. Some of
    >> this efficiency is probably due to Gentoo requiring a very much
    >> hands-on experience in the installation process.
    >>

    > I don't believe that the efficiency gains are that big, and generally
    > stem from the reduced amount of stuff that runs, and not from the fact
    > that everything is compiled.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    You would be most correct there. Now I am using Gentoo I moved from
    slackware no real change in speed but I liked the way Gentoo managed the
    packages not that slackware had it wrong It is just as things get more
    advanced the more things need other things and you are at the mercy of
    the documentation and the packager!

    Robert Cooze, Jan 28, 2007