Re: General Protection Fault on Game with NT-Based systems

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Bobby Johnson, Jul 23, 2010.

  1. And how is all this related to a 64-bit OS?

    This is a 64-bit OS group, not a 32-bit OS group.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 23, 2010

  2. If you are running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit I would guess the
    game/program is not compatible. In fact it sounds as though it will not
    run on any NT system. You can download VMware Player version 3.1, which
    is a FREE program, and install Win98 in a Virtual Machine.

    If it was published in 1995 it may have been compiled as an 8-bit
    program for Win 3 and/or DOS. If it is 8-bit it will absolutely not run
    on any NT based OS.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 23, 2010

  3. Bobby Johnson

    Bob I Guest

    Jason S wrote:

    > On 2010-07-23 15:20:52 -0400, Bobby Johnson said:
    >
    >> If you are running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit I would guess the
    >> game/program is not compatible. In fact it sounds as though it will
    >> not run on any NT system. You can download VMware Player version 3.1,
    >> which is a FREE program, and install Win98 in a Virtual Machine.
    >>
    >> If it was published in 1995 it may have been compiled as an 8-bit
    >> program for Win 3 and/or DOS. If it is 8-bit it will absolutely not
    >> run on any NT based OS.

    >>> Must have forgot to mention that Windows 7 is running on an x64 system.

    > Definitely not 8-bit... It was pretty advanced at the time (3-D
    > animation with real images and graphics... Probably 16-bit). I'm setting
    > up a Windows 98 box that I'll use for now. Just going to experiment for
    > now, maybe even use my Windows 3.1 floppies if I can find them :)

    Most likely in order to provide those "pretty advanced" images and
    graphics the software was manipulating the hardware directly. That is a
    no-no in NT. You may get it to work in a VM box, but you won't get some
    program like that to fly directly in NT.
    Bob I, Jul 26, 2010