RE: Gas prices

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by coldiron, May 1, 2005.

  1. coldiron

    coldiron Guest

    And I can remember paying .05 cents a gallon for kerosene, .11 cents a
    gallon
    for white gas, .15 cents for regular and .17 cents for ethyl per gallon. I
    also remember a gallon of milk was .15 cents and a Milky Way candy bar sold
    for a nickle.

    No one makes you ride or drive a fuel burning vehicle, this world got along
    for many, many years without such things and all of us can do it now.
    Users of vehicles choose to do so and for no other reason.

    The is no cabal setting the price of fuel in the US, no oil companies
    gouging the public. The price of fuel is regulated by the stock
    market based on supply and demand and nothing else. If you do
    not like the price fuel quit purchasing it. The idea of boycotting
    oil companies is stupid for it will only lead to higher prices. One
    of the main reasons of high costs now is that the push to increase
    milage per gallon caused consumption to drop and OPEC to cut
    production and resulting price per barrel increase.

    You cannot circumvent the the primary basis of supply and
    demand overall. All an individual can do is not purchase the product
    and that is shoveling sand against the tide. Whale oil was cheap
    when people were using it - try to purchase some of it now.

    Don't piss about the price of living. I would like to live back in the
    1930's with my salary of today but it just ain't going to happen.
    If the price of fuel bothers you then you have a hell of a lot of
    other problems to content with that are far more important.

    coldiron, May 1, 2005

  2. coldiron

    Buffalo Guest

    "coldiron" <> wrote in message
    [snip]
    > One
    > of the main reasons of high costs now is that the push to increase
    > milage per gallon caused consumption to drop and OPEC to cut
    > production and resulting price per barrel increase.

    [snip]

    Amazing, so the USA actually cut down on their annual comsumption?
    I guess less oil is imported now than before!
    Less demand, higher prices? Right?
    C'mon.
    :)

    Buffalo, May 1, 2005

  3. coldiron

    GuitarMan Guest

    > "coldiron" <> wrote in message
    > [snip]
    >> One
    >> of the main reasons of high costs now is that the push to increase
    >> milage per gallon caused consumption to drop and OPEC to cut
    >> production and resulting price per barrel increase.

    > [snip]
    >
    > Amazing, so the USA actually cut down on their annual comsumption?
    > I guess less oil is imported now than before!
    > Less demand, higher prices? Right?
    > C'mon.
    > :)

    It all comes down to one thing: CORPORATE GREED!

    GuitarMan, May 1, 2005
  4. coldiron

    Buffalo Guest

    "GuitarMan" <> wrote in message

    > "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "coldiron" <> wrote in message
    > > [snip]
    > >> One
    > >> of the main reasons of high costs now is that the push to increase
    > >> milage per gallon caused consumption to drop and OPEC to cut
    > >> production and resulting price per barrel increase.

    > > [snip]
    > >
    > > Amazing, so the USA actually cut down on their annual comsumption?
    > > I guess less oil is imported now than before!
    > > Less demand, higher prices? Right?
    > > C'mon.
    > > :)

    > It all comes down to one thing: CORPORATE GREED!

    Yes, indeed.
    :)

    Buffalo, May 2, 2005
  5. coldiron

    dah_dah Guest

    If the average American male would give up his immature macho image and buy
    a hybrid instead of the shiny gas guzzler he thinks he needs to impress the
    ladies, we could live with the price of gas and hurt the oil barons where
    they live at the same time. Yes, it really is that simple.

    dah_dah, May 2, 2005
  6. coldiron

    Old Gringo Guest

    coldiron wrote:
    > And I can remember paying .05 cents a gallon for kerosene, .11 cents a
    > gallon
    > for white gas, .15 cents for regular and .17 cents for ethyl per gallon. I
    > also remember a gallon of milk was .15 cents and a Milky Way candy bar sold
    > for a nickle.

    Aha the good old days :) and If I remember correctly minimum wage was
    64 cents.

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life

    Old Gringo, May 2, 2005
  7. dah_dah wrote:

    > If the average American male would give up his immature macho image and buy
    > a hybrid instead of the shiny gas guzzler he thinks he needs to impress the
    > ladies, we could live with the price of gas and hurt the oil barons where
    > they live at the same time. Yes, it really is that simple.

    Do you own a hybrid?

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, May 2, 2005
  8. coldiron

    Guest

    On Mon, 02 May 2005 14:23:39 GMT, Old Gringo
    <> wrote:

    |>coldiron wrote:
    |>> And I can remember paying .05 cents a gallon for kerosene, .11 cents a
    |>> gallon
    |>> for white gas, .15 cents for regular and .17 cents for ethyl per gallon. I
    |>> also remember a gallon of milk was .15 cents and a Milky Way candy bar sold
    |>> for a nickle.

    |>Aha the good old days :) and If I remember correctly minimum wage was
    |>64 cents.

    Do you know what a gallon of coffee is worth? I hate that analogy,
    means absolutely nothing.

    Me? I remember filling up my VW for $3.28 and it was bone dry :)
    (.32 a gal)

    --
    http://www.netives.com/Games/Mahjongg/Play.shtml

    , May 2, 2005
  9. coldiron

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "dah_dah" <> wrote in message
    > If the average American male would give up his immature macho image and
    > buy
    > a hybrid instead of the shiny gas guzzler he thinks he needs to impress
    > the
    > ladies, we could live with the price of gas and hurt the oil barons where
    > they live at the same time. Yes, it really is that simple.

    hehe... i've always wanted a hybrid vehicle
    if only they where priced affordbly and can pull a full family up hills.

    i didn't think a Suburban was a macho thing.
    the mini-van that it replaced broke down and on the average, the two
    consumed about the same amount of fuel (4 kids).

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, May 2, 2005
  10. coldiron

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "GuitarMan" <> wrote in message

    > "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "coldiron" <> wrote in message
    >> [snip]
    >>> One
    >>> of the main reasons of high costs now is that the push to increase
    >>> milage per gallon caused consumption to drop and OPEC to cut
    >>> production and resulting price per barrel increase.

    >> [snip]
    >>
    >> Amazing, so the USA actually cut down on their annual comsumption?
    >> I guess less oil is imported now than before!
    >> Less demand, higher prices? Right?
    >> C'mon.
    >> :)u

    > It all comes down to one thing: CORPORATE GREED!

    yes it does....
    look at the annual reports for the oil companies...

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, May 2, 2005
  11. coldiron

    joevan Guest

    On 2 May 2005 16:23:12 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    >dah_dah wrote:
    >
    >> If the average American male would give up his immature macho image and buy
    >> a hybrid instead of the shiny gas guzzler he thinks he needs to impress the
    >> ladies, we could live with the price of gas and hurt the oil barons where
    >> they live at the same time. Yes, it really is that simple.

    >Do you own a hybrid?

    I don't own one but I drive a Prius Hybrid whenever I have to run an
    errand or do car pool. I only pay for the time I use it and a small
    monthly fee. It includes gas, all repairs, the price of the car and
    membership comes with a million dollar insurance policy.
    All in all it cost me less a year to drive the Prius than it cost
    before just for the insurance on my old Peugeot SW which is still a
    good car but I haven't started it up in over 2 years. BTW if anyone
    wants a nice 27 year old luxury vehicle come to Phila. Pa. It is in
    good condition in my center city garage.

    joevan, May 2, 2005
  12. coldiron

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "coldiron" <> wrote in message
    > No one makes you ride or drive a fuel burning vehicle, this world got
    > along
    > for many, many years without such things and all of us can do it now.
    > Users of vehicles choose to do so and for no other reason.

    no... i refuse to make my kids walk 15 miles to school
    there are some necessities in life. a fuel burning vehicle is one of them.

    this world did not get along for many, many years without it...
    look at the big picture... the world isn't an amish farm community.

    this is a world of commerce and technology.
    get out of the stone age.

    > The is no cabal setting the price of fuel in the US, no oil companies
    > gouging the public. The price of fuel is regulated by the stock
    > market based on supply and demand and nothing else. If you do
    > not like the price fuel quit purchasing it. The idea of boycotting
    > oil companies is stupid for it will only lead to higher prices. One
    > of the main reasons of high costs now is that the push to increase
    > milage per gallon caused consumption to drop and OPEC to cut
    > production and resulting price per barrel increase.

    during a senate investigation, the oil company CEOs had no justifiable
    reason for increasing the price of fuel to $2.00 (i saw it on CSPAN). the
    result was that prices went back down.

    oil company executives are always planning on how to get the public to
    accept higher gas prices.
    oil companies are in the business to make money, not protect the environment
    or the communities.
    i saw an episode on one of the history channels about BP and the history of
    oil.
    oil is very powerful. it's not just a consumer product. oil will both cause
    wars and win wars.

    > You cannot circumvent the the primary basis of supply and
    > demand overall. All an individual can do is not purchase the product
    > and that is shoveling sand against the tide. Whale oil was cheap
    > when people were using it - try to purchase some of it now.

    killing whales for making cosmetic products and greasing up the ole' wagon
    wheel?
    and this is no longer popular? how so?

    > Don't piss about the price of living. I would like to live back in the
    > 1930's with my salary of today but it just ain't going to happen.
    > If the price of fuel bothers you then you have a hell of a lot of
    > other problems to content with that are far more important.

    consumer price index....
    this is a mobile society from back then.

    1930's: communities were geologically closer than today.
    you can walk to school back then. not any more....

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, May 2, 2005
  13. wrote:
    > On Mon, 02 May 2005 14:23:39 GMT, Old Gringo
    ><> wrote:

    >|>coldiron wrote: |>> And I can remember paying .05 cents a gallon for
    >kerosene, .11 cents a |>> gallon |>> for white gas, .15 cents for
    >regular and .17 cents for ethyl per gallon. I |>> also remember a
    >gallon of milk was .15 cents and a Milky Way candy bar sold |>> for a
    >nickle.

    >|>Aha the good old days :) and If I remember correctly minimum wage was
    >|>64 cents.

    > Do you know what a gallon of coffee is worth? I hate that analogy,
    > means absolutely nothing.

    A gallon of spit? A gallon of plutonium? A gallon of pork? :)

    > Me? I remember filling up my VW for $3.28 and it was bone dry :) (.32
    > a gal)

    As for price *increase*, I remember gas at 19 cents and cigarettes at 30
    cents -- smokes that have soared more (in US, at least).

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, May 2, 2005
  14. joevan wrote:

    > On 2 May 2005 16:23:12 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    > wrote:

    >>dah_dah wrote:

    >>> If the average American male would give up his immature macho image and buy
    >>> a hybrid instead of the shiny gas guzzler he thinks he needs to impress the
    >>> ladies, we could live with the price of gas and hurt the oil barons where
    >>> they live at the same time. Yes, it really is that simple.

    >>Do you own a hybrid?

    I was, of course, asking Mr. It's That Simple. That said...

    > I don't own one but I drive a Prius Hybrid whenever I have to run an
    > errand or do car pool. I only pay for the time I use it and a small
    > monthly fee. It includes gas, all repairs, the price of the car and
    > membership comes with a million dollar insurance policy.

    ....so you don't own, at all, then? Just do some kind of car club (like
    a flying club for a light plane, I take it)?

    > All in all it cost me less a year to drive the Prius than it cost
    > before just for the insurance on my old Peugeot SW which is still a
    > good car but I haven't started it up in over 2 years. BTW if anyone

    Did you store it properly?

    Blinky the Shark, May 2, 2005
  15. coldiron

    petrolhead Guest

    >oil is very powerful. it's not just a consumer product. oil will both cause
    >wars and win wars.
    >

    > Not surprising - oil is the life blood of us all. How many of us would survive a year if oil was cut off ? How do you grow food , process it and distribute it without fuel for tractors , combines , trucks and even cars to shift it the last few miles.

    Not to mention keeping warm , producing clothing , medicines , you
    name it , oil is involved throughout.Oil companies have to make a
    profit or they can no longer provide it .Because they operate on a
    vast scale their profits look vast too , but proportionally they are
    not so.A supermarket marks up prices much more. And of course if you
    have a pension scheme or investments you are probably an oil company
    shareholder anyway.

    petrolhead, May 2, 2005
  16. petrolhead wrote:

    > Not to mention keeping warm , producing clothing , medicines , you
    > name it , oil is involved throughout.Oil companies have to make a
    > profit or they can no longer provide it .Because they operate on a
    > vast scale their profits look vast too , but proportionally they are
    > not so.A supermarket marks up prices much more. And of course if you
    > have a pension scheme or investments you are probably an oil company
    > shareholder anyway.

    This intrigues me. In what nation or culture does one space "before"
    commas? Spacing around periods is totally inconsistent, here, but the
    spaces before commas appears to be intentional -- and not the random
    key-pounding that the inconsistent period treatments shows.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, May 2, 2005
  17. coldiron

    petrolhead Guest

    On 2 May 2005 20:57:26 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    >petrolhead wrote:
    >
    >> Not to mention keeping warm , producing clothing , medicines , you
    >> name it , oil is involved throughout.Oil companies have to make a
    >> profit or they can no longer provide it .Because they operate on a
    >> vast scale their profits look vast too , but proportionally they are
    >> not so.A supermarket marks up prices much more. And of course if you
    >> have a pension scheme or investments you are probably an oil company
    >> shareholder anyway.

    >This intrigues me. In what nation or culture does one space "before"
    >commas? Spacing around periods is totally inconsistent, here, but the
    >spaces before commas appears to be intentional -- and not the random
    >key-pounding that the inconsistent period treatments shows.

    Sorry,it's a carry over from using early programs like Publisher (and
    even Word lends itself to doing it as the effect is,to me,more
    pleasing.)It's quite difficult to break the habit!

    petrolhead, May 2, 2005
  18. petrolhead wrote:
    > On 2 May 2005 20:57:26 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    > wrote:

    >>petrolhead wrote:

    >>> Not to mention keeping warm , producing clothing , medicines , you
    >>> name it , oil is involved throughout.Oil companies have to make a
    >>> profit or they can no longer provide it .Because they operate on a
    >>> vast scale their profits look vast too , but proportionally they are
    >>> not so.A supermarket marks up prices much more. And of course if you
    >>> have a pension scheme or investments you are probably an oil company
    >>> shareholder anyway.

    >>This intrigues me. In what nation or culture does one space "before"
    >>commas? Spacing around periods is totally inconsistent, here, but the
    >>spaces before commas appears to be intentional -- and not the random
    >>key-pounding that the inconsistent period treatments shows.

    > Sorry,it's a carry over from using early programs like Publisher (and
    > even Word lends itself to doing it as the effect is,to me,more
    > pleasing.)It's quite difficult to break the habit!

    Publisher made you space *before* a comma to result in a space *after*
    the comma? You're kidding, right?

    Why *no* spaces (not even the correct after-comma space) in your
    reply?

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, May 2, 2005
  19. coldiron

    coldiron Guest

    Not so 'Old Gringo.
    The minimum wage was first law in 1938 at .25 cents per hour and greatly
    ignored.
    I worked as a farmhand back then for .50 cents a day and was pleased to get
    it.
    It was raised to .40 cents in 1945 and to about your figure in 1950 at .75
    cents
    per hour. I put myself through college mowing yards for .25 cents each in
    1950
    and got my MBS doing the same thing except for .50 cents each.
    Read further down - 'petrolhead' has got his head on straight.

    coldiron, May 3, 2005
  20. coldiron

    petrolhead Guest

    On 2 May 2005 22:28:24 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    >petrolhead wrote:
    >> On 2 May 2005 20:57:26 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>This intrigues me. In what nation or culture does one space "before"
    >>>commas? Spacing around periods is totally inconsistent, here, but the
    >>>spaces before commas appears to be intentional -- and not the random
    >>>key-pounding that the inconsistent period treatments shows.

    >> Sorry,it's a carry over from using early programs like Publisher (and
    >> even Word lends itself to doing it as the effect is,to me,more
    >> pleasing.)It's quite difficult to break the habit!

    >Publisher made you space *before* a comma to result in a space *after*
    >the comma? You're kidding, right?
    >
    >Why *no* spaces (not even the correct after-comma space) in your
    >reply?

    It simply looked better on the page.When there was no gap the
    punctuation mark was difficult to see.I tried to stop doing it in my
    reply.It was surprisingly difficult.

    petrolhead, May 3, 2005