Re: Gaahhhh! WinXP - file associations for lnk and exe disappeared???

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Enkidu, Jan 16, 2005.

  1. Enkidu

    Enkidu Guest

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:20:31 +1300, "JohnO" <> wrote:

    >Not sure how this happened but there seems to be some sort of registry
    >corruption on a pc here.
    >
    >It boots up into XP Home SP2 fine, but all desktop shortcuts have reverted
    >to a default icon. Clicking on any gives the message that Windows does not
    >know how to open a file of type lnk and it asks for the program to open
    >these files with (what would that be?)
    >
    >But it gets worse. If I browse the drive with windows explorer and try to
    >open an exe file, Windows reports it does not know how to open files of type
    >exe! Again, what is the file association for exe - I would have though none!
    >
    >Many other file associations seem ok so it appears that not the entire
    >registry branch is toast.
    >
    >I can grovel my way into starting a cmd.exe session, and can run some but
    >not all commands from there. However I cannot seem to get regedt32 to start
    >from the cmd line (nothing happens - it just goes back to the prompt) and I
    >cannot start system restore - windows reports it does not know how to open a
    >file of type. I really don't want to use system restore anyway as I believe
    >it is out of date.
    >
    >I have the WinXP firewall enabled and Symantec a/v software enabled on the
    >machine with regular scheduled updates so would not expect this to be a
    >virus.
    >
    >Any ideas on how to fix these file associations?

    This is typical of a couple of viruses. Are you sure that your
    definitions are up to date?

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    --

    The National Party manifesto can be viewed here:

    http://www.labour.org.nz/policy/index.html

    Enkidu, Jan 16, 2005

  2. Enkidu

    JohnO Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:20:31 +1300, "JohnO" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Not sure how this happened but there seems to be some sort of registry
    >>corruption on a pc here.
    >>
    >>It boots up into XP Home SP2 fine, but all desktop shortcuts have reverted
    >>to a default icon. Clicking on any gives the message that Windows does not
    >>know how to open a file of type lnk and it asks for the program to open
    >>these files with (what would that be?)
    >>
    >>But it gets worse. If I browse the drive with windows explorer and try to
    >>open an exe file, Windows reports it does not know how to open files of
    >>type
    >>exe! Again, what is the file association for exe - I would have though
    >>none!
    >>
    >>Many other file associations seem ok so it appears that not the entire
    >>registry branch is toast.
    >>
    >>I can grovel my way into starting a cmd.exe session, and can run some but
    >>not all commands from there. However I cannot seem to get regedt32 to
    >>start
    >>from the cmd line (nothing happens - it just goes back to the prompt) and
    >>cannot start system restore - windows reports it does not know how to open
    >>file of type. I really don't want to use system restore anyway as I
    >>believe
    >>it is out of date.
    >>
    >>I have the WinXP firewall enabled and Symantec a/v software enabled on the
    >>machine with regular scheduled updates so would not expect this to be a
    >>virus.
    >>
    >>Any ideas on how to fix these file associations?
    >>

    > This is typical of a couple of viruses. Are you sure that your
    > definitions are up to date?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff
    > --
    >
    > The National Party manifesto can be viewed here:
    >
    > http://www.labour.org.nz/policy/index.html

    Having repaired the registry I've done a full updated symantec and AVG scan
    with nothing found. I guess it was just Windoze pooping itself!

    JohnO, Jan 16, 2005