Re: G2 problem

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by William D. Tallman, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. Todd Walker wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> This thing has been such a fine camera for everything I've asked it to
    >> do, but it let me down a few days ago, and I haven't a clue as to what
    >> was happening.
    >>
    >> The only problem with the G2 is the same as almost all digitals: shutter
    >> delay. Half press has always solved that problem in actual use. But not
    >> this time.
    >>
    >> I was taking snaps indoors, with the flash on, and the damn thing
    >> wouldn't take sharp images (apparently wouldn't focus, even though the
    >> button was at
    >> half press. Now, there was enough light for it to present a very nice
    >> image in the LCD screen, but even with the flash, shots were obviously
    >> blurred. So I kept trying, as the situation was time bound.
    >>
    >> After a dozen or do tries, the flash would fire and there would be a
    >> delay
    >> of several seconds (!!) before the shutter sound. And the image would be
    >> blurred. Could not figure out what I was doing wrong, so switched to a
    >> film camera.
    >>
    >> Took the G2 outside in the shade, where there wasn't that much more
    >> light,
    >> and it functioned perfectly. Still does. I've tried since to duplicate
    >> this, and have failed to do so. Any ideas about what was happening?
    >>
    >> Thanks all,
    >>
    >> Bill Tallman

    > Bill,
    >
    > What mode were you in? It sounds like you may have been in either
    > shutter priority or manual and that the camera was metering based on
    > available light, firing the flash as fill.

    Hmmm... I normally use it in aperture priority mode. In any case, why
    would there be a several second delay between the flash firing and the
    shutter sound? Long exposure? But the image would have been completely
    blurred, I think. Instead, there was some movement, indicating somewhere
    between a 30th and a 10th of a second (off the top of my head...)

    Clearly, I didn't have my digital camera operator hat placed firmly on my
    noggin..... I should have simply set it to point 'n shoot and let it do
    it's own thing. I've got some more experimenting to do, I guess.

    The good news is that the camera seems to work perfectly elsewise!

    Thanks,

    Bill Tallman
    William D. Tallman, Jul 15, 2003

  2. William D. Tallman

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hmmm... I normally use it in aperture priority mode. In any case, why
    > would there be a several second delay between the flash firing and the
    > shutter sound? Long exposure? But the image would have been completely
    > blurred, I think. Instead, there was some movement, indicating somewhere
    > between a 30th and a 10th of a second (off the top of my head...)

    I missed the "several seconds" part. If indeed it is several seconds
    (and doesn't just FEEL like several seconds,) then yes your camera has a
    problem.

    > Clearly, I didn't have my digital camera operator hat placed firmly on my
    > noggin..... I should have simply set it to point 'n shoot and let it do
    > it's own thing. I've got some more experimenting to do, I guess.

    If you do that, does it work properly?

    --
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Jul 15, 2003