Re: FZ20 v S1 IS

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Linda_N, Nov 3, 2004.

  1. Linda_N

    Linda_N Guest

    "Justín Käse" <> wrote in message
    > In Message-ID:<MNQfd.247$> posted on Wed, 27
    > Oct 2004 14:34:43 -0300, Linda_N wrote:
    >
    >> My
    >>next camera is going to have to take both AAs and battery pack.

    > Have you considered using a photojournalist style belt battery pack?
    > The S1-IS external power jack states 7.5v, but I've successfully powered
    > mine with 6v, which is fairly easy to find in a gel cell.
    > I think the reason they say 7.5 is to allow for the drop from low
    > ampacity wall warts.

    No I hadn't, JK. I'll have to look into this. I had thought that that type
    of battery equipment only worked with dSLR/SLR. I'm going to save your
    message to refer to when I'm heading out the the electronics store. Thanks.

    Linda
    Linda_N, Nov 3, 2004

  2. Linda_N

    Aerticus Guest

    Blast! The proprietary LiON may have to be a liveable put-up-able nuisance

    How many re-charges so far m8?

    Does it dwindle too quickly once past the warning light?

    Does it have an emergency power in option?

    All this and more may be avoided by the humble AA

    Aerticus

    Aerticus, Nov 3, 2004

  3. "Aerticus" <> writes:

    > Blast! The proprietary LiON may have to be a liveable put-up-able nuisance
    >
    > How many re-charges so far m8?

    I dunno, but in the Panasonic forum at dpreview.com I do see some gripes about
    the battery.

    > Does it dwindle too quickly once past the warning light?

    One of the advantages that Li-on has over Nimh is that a general power meter is
    part of the package. With Nimh the current stays mostly at the same value
    until it is nearly out of power.

    > Does it have an emergency power in option?

    I see people use external batteries like the DPS-9000 with the Panasonic, so it
    is certainly doable. The DPS-9000 is evidently no longer made, but you used to
    be able to buy it at Ritz for $39.95. I use it on my C-2100UZ, and generally
    it and 4 AA's will last me about 7 hours. I like the DPS-9000 since it uses
    the external AC adaptor and my camera doesn't turn off when using it (I keep
    the camera in my hand, and if I see an interesting candid, I bring up the
    camera, take the shot, and put it back down, often times without the subject
    being any wiser).

    > All this and more may be avoided by the humble AA

    You could also make an external AA battery pack for the Panasonic. I believe
    it uses a type 3 connector, and supplies 8.4 volts (though the DPS-9000
    supplies 7.2 volts, which would be 6 AA cells).

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Nov 3, 2004
  4. Michael Meissner <> writes:

    > "Aerticus" <> writes:
    >
    > > Blast! The proprietary LiON may have to be a liveable put-up-able nuisance
    > >
    > > How many re-charges so far m8?

    > I dunno, but in the Panasonic forum at dpreview.com I do see some gripes about
    > the battery.

    Of course if AA's are important to you, go for the Canon S1 (3 megapixel, uses
    CF cards) or Konica-Minolta Z3 (4 megapixel, uses SD cards).

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Nov 3, 2004
  5. Linda_N

    Aerticus Guest

    Michael - thank you for the time you have put in to these replies.

    From the sample images I have seen - and trying the make sense of those
    observations - my interim "conclusions" are:
    S1 IS well its Canon its good, noise levels are better than reasonable
    FZ20 - quite a bit noisy - may be a sensor driven a little bit too hard n
    fast

    I'd rather settle for a 12X Canon with 4 - 5 MP (ZLRs seem to offer the
    cropping ability without using all the media space of larger sensors)

    Thank you once again

    Aerticus

    Aerticus, Nov 3, 2004