Re: FYI: New 8x DVD+R/-R Plextor PX-708 DVD burner out!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by James H. Cloos Jr., Jul 13, 2003.

  1. On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 12:21:03 -0700, David Chien wrote:

    > http://www.plextor.co.jp/products/px708/px708.html
    >
    > Backup those digital images and videos to DVD discs even faster now at
    > 8x speeds!

    That page says 8100 - 10800 KB/S for the +R discs.

    That is 64.8 to 86.4 Mbit/s.

    How many people have disks that can even do sequential reads fast enough
    to keep from underrunning at 64 - 86 Mb/s?

    Nonetheless, ’twould be fun to own....

    -JimC
    James H. Cloos Jr., Jul 13, 2003

  2. MarkH <> wrote:

    >"James H. Cloos Jr." <> wrote in

    >>> http://www.plextor.co.jp/products/px708/px708.html
    >>>
    >>> Backup those digital images and videos to DVD discs even faster now at
    >>> 8x speeds!

    >> That page says 8100 - 10800 KB/S for the +R discs.
    >>
    >> That is 64.8 to 86.4 Mbit/s.
    >>
    >> How many people have disks that can even do sequential reads fast enough
    >> to keep from underrunning at 64 - 86 Mb/s?

    >I have tested a 3 year old HDD in a USB2 enclosure and found that I could
    >read or write about 1GB per minute. 10800KB/S is about 650MB per minute.
    >QED, I could easily supply the required speed without buffer underrun.

    Mark, James,

    does KB/S not mean Kbit/s here? They certainly didn't use proper
    notation.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.
    Hans-Georg Michna, Jul 13, 2003

  3. On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 12:53:32 +0200, Hans-Georg Michna wrote:

    >>> That page says 8100 - 10800 KB/S for the +R discs.

    >>> That is 64.8 to 86.4 Mbit/s.

    > does KB/S not mean Kbit/s here? They certainly didn't use proper notation.

    DVDs max out around 11 Mbits/s, so 8x would in fact be OTOO 86 Mbit/s.

    -JimC
    James H. Cloos Jr., Jul 13, 2003
  4. On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 08:16:49 +0000, MarkH wrote:

    >>> http://www.plextor.co.jp/products/px708/px708.html

    >>> Backup those digital images and videos to DVD discs even faster now at
    >>> 8x speeds!

    >> That page says 8100 - 10800 KB/S for the +R discs.

    >> That is 64.8 to 86.4 Mbit/s.

    >> How many people have disks that can even do sequential reads fast enough
    >> to keep from underrunning at 64 - 86 Mb/s?

    > I have tested a 3 year old HDD in a USB2 enclosure and found that I could
    > read or write about 1GB per minute. 10800KB/S is about 650MB per minute.
    > QED, I could easily supply the required speed without buffer underrun.

    Yes, you are right. I should have had the tea before reading new, not
    after....

    10 to 20 MB/s is w/in reason for even two to four year old ata drives.

    The best of the current crop claims up to 100 MB/s (yes, 800 Mb/s)!

    Time marches on.

    I wonder how much heat spinning a dvd+r fast enough to write at 8 to
    10 MB/s generates?

    I'd like mine in SATA, please. :) :)

    -JimC
    James H. Cloos Jr., Jul 13, 2003