Re: FWD account login "My FWD", gone completely now?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Graham., Apr 5, 2009.

  1. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    "B. Wright" <> wrote in message
    > I know FWD has become a major cluster f*ck since it went to the
    > paid model. Who knows what their plan is.. but it seems to be slowly
    > fading away as I had predicted. Has anyone noticed that the account
    > login page (to change profile info) disappeared. You could eventually
    > get to it by following the "communicator" links, or a direct link to:
    >
    > http://account2.freeworlddialup.com/index.php?section_id=4
    >
    > Now that doesn't even work. Anyone else have a direct link that
    > actually works to update your account/profile? Looks like I'll be
    > getting rid of any FWD accounts ASAP as they're more of a dead end now
    > than ever.

    The free FWD account that terminates my IPCall number still works,
    but like everyone else, I am surprised it still does.
    Does anyone know another zero cost way of getting a US number
    in the event Pulver pulls the free accounts?

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Apr 5, 2009

  2. Graham.

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:grb3g2$lo$,
    Graham. <> typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:

    [snip]

    : The free FWD account that terminates my IPCall number still works,
    : but like everyone else, I am surprised it still does.
    : Does anyone know another zero cost way of getting a US number
    : in the event Pulver pulls the free accounts?

    Same here, that's all I use my FWD account for. Since Sipgate no longer
    allow termination of FWD (although they said they'd re-enable it when I
    asked them last year, they never did) I have tested FWD with my Gradwell
    account and that works, although of course Gradwell isn't free.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Apr 5, 2009

  3. Graham.

    Soruk Guest

    On 2009-04-05, Graham. <> wrote:

    > "B. Wright" <> wrote in message
    >> I know FWD has become a major cluster f*ck since it went to the
    >> paid model. Who knows what their plan is.. but it seems to be slowly
    >> fading away as I had predicted. Has anyone noticed that the account
    >> login page (to change profile info) disappeared. You could eventually
    >> get to it by following the "communicator" links, or a direct link to:
    >>
    >> http://account2.freeworlddialup.com/index.php?section_id=4
    >>
    >> Now that doesn't even work. Anyone else have a direct link that
    >> actually works to update your account/profile? Looks like I'll be
    >> getting rid of any FWD accounts ASAP as they're more of a dead end now
    >> than ever.
    >>

    > The free FWD account that terminates my IPCall number still works,
    > but like everyone else, I am surprised it still does.
    > Does anyone know another zero cost way of getting a US number
    > in the event Pulver pulls the free accounts?

    My IPKall number points at my ekiga.net SIP address. I've heard of it
    also working to Gizmo Project/sipphone.com addresses, and pointing it at
    a MySipSwitch address might also work.

    International Calls - http://calls.matrixnetwork.co.uk/
    Soruk, Apr 6, 2009
  4. Soruk wrote:
    > On 2009-04-05, Graham. <> wrote:
    >> "B. Wright" <> wrote in message
    >>> I know FWD has become a major cluster f*ck since it went to the
    >>> paid model. Who knows what their plan is.. but it seems to be slowly
    >>> fading away as I had predicted. Has anyone noticed that the account
    >>> login page (to change profile info) disappeared. You could eventually
    >>> get to it by following the "communicator" links, or a direct link to:
    >>>
    >>> http://account2.freeworlddialup.com/index.php?section_id=4
    >>>
    >>> Now that doesn't even work. Anyone else have a direct link that
    >>> actually works to update your account/profile? Looks like I'll be
    >>> getting rid of any FWD accounts ASAP as they're more of a dead end now
    >>> than ever.
    >>>

    >> The free FWD account that terminates my IPCall number still works,
    >> but like everyone else, I am surprised it still does.
    >> Does anyone know another zero cost way of getting a US number
    >> in the event Pulver pulls the free accounts?

    > My IPKall number points at my ekiga.net SIP address. I've heard of it
    > also working to Gizmo Project/sipphone.com addresses, and pointing it at
    > a MySipSwitch address might also work.

    Why not point it directly at your dyndns address at home or your IP if
    that isn's dynamic?
    Works great.
    Henkie Penkie, Apr 6, 2009
  5. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    "Soruk" <> wrote in message
    > On 2009-04-05, Graham. <> wrote:
    >>
    >> "B. Wright" <> wrote in message
    >>> I know FWD has become a major cluster f*ck since it went to the
    >>> paid model. Who knows what their plan is.. but it seems to be slowly
    >>> fading away as I had predicted. Has anyone noticed that the account
    >>> login page (to change profile info) disappeared. You could eventually
    >>> get to it by following the "communicator" links, or a direct link to:
    >>>
    >>> http://account2.freeworlddialup.com/index.php?section_id=4
    >>>
    >>> Now that doesn't even work. Anyone else have a direct link that
    >>> actually works to update your account/profile? Looks like I'll be
    >>> getting rid of any FWD accounts ASAP as they're more of a dead end now
    >>> than ever.
    >>>

    >> The free FWD account that terminates my IPCall number still works,
    >> but like everyone else, I am surprised it still does.
    >> Does anyone know another zero cost way of getting a US number
    >> in the event Pulver pulls the free accounts?

    > My IPKall number points at my ekiga.net SIP address. I've heard of it
    > also working to Gizmo Project/sipphone.com addresses, and pointing it at
    > a MySipSwitch address might also work.

    Ah thanks, looks like the received wisdom about ipkall only working
    with FWD is wrong. I just tried pointing it to one of my pbxes.org
    extensions and it worked. It also works pointed at the Betamax
    uri that goes direct to my ATA
    I'll try some other ideas later, and post a follow-up.

    The way ipkall asks for a sip phone number, rather than a username
    makes you think it has to be numerical, like FWD user names, but
    they can be anything.
    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Apr 6, 2009
  6. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    "Graham." <> wrote in message

    > "Soruk" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2009-04-05, Graham. <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "B. Wright" <> wrote in message

    >>> The free FWD account that terminates my IPCall number still works,
    >>> but like everyone else, I am surprised it still does.
    >>> Does anyone know another zero cost way of getting a US number
    >>> in the event Pulver pulls the free accounts?

    >> My IPKall number points at my ekiga.net SIP address. I've heard of it
    >> also working to Gizmo Project/sipphone.com addresses, and pointing it at
    >> a MySipSwitch address might also work.

    > Ah thanks, looks like the received wisdom about ipkall only working
    > with FWD is wrong. I just tried pointing it to one of my pbxes.org
    > extensions and it worked. It also works pointed at the Betamax
    > uri that goes direct to my ATA
    > I'll try some other ideas later, and post a follow-up.
    >
    > The way ipkall asks for a sip phone number, rather than a username
    > makes you think it has to be numerical, like FWD user names, but
    > they can be anything.
    > --

    In addition, Orbtalk works with ipcall.com,
    Tesco internet phone does not apear to work
    Sipgate does not work, as we know.
    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Apr 6, 2009
  7. Graham.

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    Ivor Jones <> typed, for some strange,
    unexplained reason:
    : In news:grb3g2$lo$,
    : Graham. <> typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
    :
    : [snip]
    :
    : : The free FWD account that terminates my IPCall number still works,
    : : but like everyone else, I am surprised it still does.
    : : Does anyone know another zero cost way of getting a US number
    : : in the event Pulver pulls the free accounts?
    :
    : Same here, that's all I use my FWD account for. Since Sipgate no
    : longer allow termination of FWD (although they said they'd re-enable
    : it when I asked them last year, they never did) I have tested FWD
    : with my Gradwell account and that works, although of course Gradwell
    : isn't free.
    :
    : Ivor

    Well my FWD account stopped registering yesterday, so that's it.

    Oh well.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Apr 8, 2009
  8. Graham.

    Guest

    On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 21:03:02 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >In news:,
    >Ivor Jones <> typed, for some strange,
    >unexplained reason:
    >: In news:grb3g2$lo$,
    >: Graham. <> typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
    >:
    >: [snip]
    >:
    >: : The free FWD account that terminates my IPCall number still works,
    >: : but like everyone else, I am surprised it still does.
    >: : Does anyone know another zero cost way of getting a US number
    >: : in the event Pulver pulls the free accounts?
    >:
    >: Same here, that's all I use my FWD account for. Since Sipgate no
    >: longer allow termination of FWD (although they said they'd re-enable
    >: it when I asked them last year, they never did) I have tested FWD
    >: with my Gradwell account and that works, although of course Gradwell
    >: isn't free.
    >:
    >: Ivor
    >
    >Well my FWD account stopped registering yesterday, so that's it.
    >
    >Oh well.
    >

    >Ivor

    With the anytime calling plan from BT for £ 16.20 a month including
    0845 and 0870 numbers also which is less than 55p a day why bother
    with any VOIP provider .
    , Apr 8, 2009
  9. Graham.

    Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    <> typed, for some strange,
    unexplained reason:

    [snip]

    : With the anytime calling plan from BT for £ 16.20 a month including
    : 0845 and 0870 numbers also which is less than 55p a day why bother
    : with any VOIP provider .

    So why are you here, Ron..?

    (Hint - free is less than 55p a day).

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Apr 9, 2009
  10. Graham.

    Paulg0 Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > With the anytime calling plan from BT for £ 16.20 a month including
    > 0845 and 0870 numbers also which is less than 55p a day why bother
    > with any VOIP provider .

    99% of my calls are made from my work provided mobile & my internet is
    provided over cable via Virgin. VOIP is a convenient way of keeping a
    landline number for people to call cheaply and to provide to companies that
    require a "home" phone number

    Paul
    Paulg0, Apr 11, 2009
  11. Graham.

    cybuerke Guest

    B. Wright wrote:
    > Maybe you spoke to soon. Seems to have gone tits up today so
    > it's either one of the regular outages they have or finally given up the
    > ghost. Unless anyone else is having success registering? Doubt it's
    > specific to me though.
    >
    > As others mentioned, just login to your IPKall number and
    > re-route it to another SIP address that accepts incoming termination.

    You probably won't be surprised to learn that FWD aren't exactly top of
    the pops with its paid up members. They changed their sip server at the
    end of last month, and the first I knew of it was on the grapevine after
    my FWD connections stopped working a couple of days ago. I had a pop at
    Dan Berninger (their CEO) about it, but his rather sad excuse was that
    their email to me had probably fallen into a spam trap. I know for a
    fact that there was no email sent - possibly because they have not the
    slightest clue who their paid members all are.

    It's a fact that the accounts page at my.fwd is no more, so there's no
    chance that anyone can sign up or existing members may change their
    settings. The link to the FWD forum was quietly lost a few weeks ago,
    and although it's been possible to post in the forum, I see that today
    they are having "technical difficulties"

    http://www.freeworlddialup.com/community/forum/

    http://www.freeworlddialup.com/learnmore/?p=features

    Calls to 800, 612 and 613 are not available, although I'm able to
    connect with a number of fwd 6 figure numbers.

    Those of you who were using my account to piggyback your own sip
    accounts are welcome to email me to learn the new server address, but
    I'm rather wondering - would you really want to?
    cybuerke, Apr 12, 2009